A King in Hiding: Adding It All Up Part 2

Fire Eater

“There was a black brother,” Sansa said, “begging men for the Wall, only he was kind of old and smelly.” She hadn’t liked that at all. She had always imagined the Night’s Watch to be men like Uncle Benjen. In the songs, they were called the black knights of the Wall. But this man had been crookbacked and hideous, and he looked as though he might have lice. If this was what the Night’s Watch was truly like, she felt sorry for her bastard half brother, Jon.

Jon is a member of the NW, a black knight, the only black knight we have heard of up to that point was Rhaegar.

Three white men in white cloaks, he thought, remembering

Ned thinks this when goes to see the king with the KG guarding him, only in this case it was king being born instead of dying.

• 2 weeks later...
He had known what Snow was the moment he saw that great white direwolf stalking silent at his side. One skinchanger can always sense another. Mance should have let me take the direwolf. There would be a second life worthy of a king.

I dunno if this one's been mentioned, but here have it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffin's Roost again. To end the Usurper's line for good and all, and put Rhaegar's son upon the Iron Throne.

I think the Usurper in this moment is Cersei who usurped the throne from Robert and the Baratheons. Given Maggy's prophecy, Cersei's line will end with the deaths of her children. After that, Rhaegar's son, Jon, will be put upon the IT.

This quote might have a place in this thread: from Dany's last chapter in ACOK, when Jorah asks her about the mummer's dragon

"What is a mummer's dragon, pray?"

"A cloth of dragon on poles, " Dany explained. "Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight."

So if Aegon is the mummer's dragon, who is the hero?

This quote might have a place in this thread: from Dany's last chapter in ACOK, when Jorah asks her about the mummer's dragon

So if Aegon is the mummer's dragon, who is the hero?

Dany or Tyrion, pick one.

He unsheathed Dawn, and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

One hint I'd like to add is at the ToJ, one of the KG is named Arthur, like the legendary king, and wields a legendary sword, Dawn, that appears to glow with light like Excalibur. Another hint towards Jon's future role along with the other Arthurian parallels.

This might have been gone over in the locked thread but I was mulling about in a topic about the succession between Jon and Rickon and it got me thinking of all of the parallels between Jon and Egg we get through his interactions with Maester Aemon and what we know about Egg's ascension to the throne.

-Egg was obviously his namesake, Unlikely, he was not supposed to be King. Bastards aren't supposed to be King's either.

-Egg's line was CHOSEN over a number of other claimants, the Starks as a house and in particular the line of Ned Stark were chosen by the Northern Lords and are widely respected by a number of Lords not in the North.

-Egg was raised humbly, so as to make him a better man, Jon has lived humbly and even served. One could see his stewardship to the Old Bear as a parallel of Egg and Dunk

-Maester Aemon himself mistakes Jon for Egg, I believe when he wakes up from his dream that he was old the quote is something like "Egg? Egg? I dreamed I was so old"

-Egg was the 4th son of a 4th son, Jon, being a bastard, is in the line of succession the 4th male heir of Eddard Stark(R+L=J being a non factor as no one is privy to that info for sure yet.), Robb reinforces this when he argues about making Jon his heir and tells Catelyn "My father had 4 sons"

-Then there's also the ties with "Kill the boy and let the man be born"

-And finally Egg ascended to the throne after the abdication of his brother with a better claim. I think that this bit will become important when the issue comes to a head with Rickon's return.

There are a lot of assumptions that Jon would not take the crown from Rickon or it wouldn't be honorable or what not, but who's to say Rickon even wants it? He must have terrible associations with anything King related. Even at 3 he understands that his father went to help a King and died, his brother became a King and died and took his mother with him. It is plausible that Rickon will abdicate his claim in favor of Jon and save everyone the trouble. Jon taking up as King in the North will give him a crown and if his parentage is revealed to be R+L=J than that will pave the way for the eventual battle for the Iron Throne.

I saw that post of yours in that thread, and I'm happy you decided to copy it into this one as well! Comparing Egg and Jon is interesting, and something to keep track of!

What I wanted to say to your comment, but I didn't over there but shall do so over here, is that you might be right. That boy has suffered so much already. Lost half of his family in one go, got burned out of his home, had to escape with a Wildling and live amongst supposed cannibals, then is pulled back home to be shoved into a Lordship that he's never trained for, and to be put a crown on his head to function as a puppet for whom, now? It saddens me that he cannot be a child if there's still some of that left in him. They need strong leadership now to make it through the Long Night/Winter, not a boy who could not even write when he left his home. Do people expect him to have gotten training in Skagos to come back as super!Rickon, or what? Let the boy be, let him enjoy being home with his family again. They can sort things out after they survive the Long Night. Starks are not Freys.

Now, speaking of that earlier keeping track of things, I must know.... Fire Eater, you've had so many wonderful foreshadowing finds spread out over quite a few threads already, but I was wondering: are you going to keep track of them to see how they turned out? Like, do you keep a Word document with the things you think might happen? Don't know if that is done, but perhaps it would be cool! (I must not say yet again how much I liked the honeyed chicken one, right? :leer: )

Perhaps one of Jon's 'changes in his personality' will be taking what he wants instead of making Ghost act out the UST. :lol: That might start with that kiss... :devil:

I'm suprised no one mentions the fact that Jon was born from a marriage-less couple meaning he will be STILL a bastard and thus not getting the throne unless legitimized.. Maybe the backstory on the Blackfyres in D&E can come into play with Jon..?

how do you figure they weren't married? The presence of the Kingsguard at the ToJ and them referring to their vows strongly hints at that.

edit: too slow

-Maester Aemon himself mistakes Jon for Egg, I believe when he wakes up from his dream that he was old the quote is something like "Egg? Egg? I dreamed I was so old"

I haven't read the Dunk and Egg novels, so I can't judge the accuracy of most of your post. However, this one is a mistake. Is Sam, not Jon, Maester Aemon mistakes for Egg during their trip to the Oldtown.

• 2 weeks later...

the ancient prophecy shall be fulfilled. Your dragon shall awaken and spread his stony wings.

stone wings enfolded the smith and armory

Jon takes up residence in Donal Noye's old quarters at the smith and armory.

I'm suprised no one mentions the fact that Jon was born from a marriage-less couple meaning he will be STILL a bastard and thus not getting the throne unless legitimized.. Maybe the backstory on the Blackfyres in D&E can come into play with Jon..?

Rhaegar probably didn't care as much for the Iron Throne as he did the prophecy of Jon as the saviour of the world. He already had an heir to the Iron Throne but he wanted a Prince to have a much greater destiny than simply ruling.

really love the ruby connection - reminds me of finding the direwolves for Starks....

Direwolves and rubies in the same sentence gave me an idea

"At her throat, her ruby gleamed, a third eye glowing brighter than the others. Jon had seen Ghost's eyes blazing red the same way, when they caught the light just right."

That's the only quote I could find describing Ghost's eyes like rubies (and it's an indirect description at that) but I thought it was worth a mention.

Dany or Tyrion, pick one.

He unsheathed Dawn, and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

One hint I'd like to add is at the ToJ, one of the KG is named Arthur, like the legendary king, and wields a legendary sword, Dawn, that appears to glow with light like Excalibur. Another hint towards Jon's future role along with

the other Arthurian parallels.

Doesn't Dany promise Ser Jorah a sword unlike the world has seen?

'T

• 3 weeks later...

Many things Tyrion said for Young Griff always makes me think about Jon.

“Aye, I’m less than half of Haldon, and no one gives a mummer’s fart whether I live or die.” Least of all me. “You, though … you are everything.”

= Jon is everything cause he is Rhaegar's son

I have a gift for angering princes.

= “Stop it!” the boy screamed. He took a step forward, his hands coiling into fists, close to tears.

Suddenly, absurdly, Tyrion felt guilty. He took a step forward, intending to give the boy a reassuring pat on the shoulder or mutter some word of apology. - Tyrion talking with Jon

Bold, reckless, a true scion of House Targaryen, walking in the footsteps of Aegon the Conqueror. A dragon.

= Jon was leading a Wildling army to take Winterfell and I hope after a time inside Ghost body he become more bold and reckless.

“I told you, I know our little queen. Let her hear that her brother Rhaegar’s murdered son is still alive, that this brave boy has raised the dragon standard of her forebears in Westeros once more, that he is fighting a desperate war to avenge his father and reclaim the Iron Throne for House Targaryen, hard-pressed on every side … and she will fly to your side as fast as wind and water can carry her. You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer. The girl who drowned the slaver cities in blood rather than leave strangers to their chains can scarcely abandon her own brother’s son in his hour of peril. And when she reaches Westeros, and meets you for the first time, you will meet as equals, man and woman, not queen and supplicant. How can she help but love you then, I ask you?”

= I told you, I know our little queen. Let her hear that her brother Rhaegar’s son is still alive, that this brave boy has raised the dragon standard of her forebears in Westeros once more, that he is fighting a desperate war against the Others, hard-pressed on every side … and she will fly to your side as fast as wind and water can carry her. You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer. The girl who drowned the slaver cities in blood rather than leave strangers to their chains can scarcely abandon her own brother’s son in his hour of peril. And when she reaches Westeros, and meets you for the first time, you will meet as equals, man and woman, not queen and supplicant. How can she help but love you then, I ask you?

Archived