[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

I think the show runners really need to identify something here....the scenes they take straight from the books are always sensational. I wonder why? Some of the changes/additions they make are good, but many fall flat as well. I hope these last two episodes are an indication of the future of this adaptation as these were two of the best episodes of the series with much of the content taken straight from the book.

I think it helps that aSoS is packed with awesome interactions where aCoK was a bit less...vivid I suppose.

The walking dead (like) fetuses, spa mansion beyond the wall and Loras enjoying a boy toy was :ack:

Almost everything else was great, especially how Coster-Waldau and Maise Williams nailed their scenes. Also Sheeren is very very touching, Stannis' trauma is acted perfectly.

I think it was very fitting that Beric responded to Arya's "burn in Hell!" with "He will, but not today" just as he was resurrected; a nice parallel and reminder of Syrio's "There is only one thing we say to death - not today".

Edited by Kasrith

I think it helps that aSoS is packed with awesome interactions where aCoK was a bit less...vivid I suppose.

Yeah, I agree. I've said plenty of times that S02 suffered from a couple things: One, ACOK not being as good of a book (IMO) as AGOT. Two, many choices the showrunners made in regards to the adaptation as well as the directing/editing style and episode compositions with too many short scenes and story lines in every episode. Also, they seemed to struggle handling the far less linear story line in ACOK than the story in AGOT with Ned as the focal point.

ASOS is the best book in the series and I think GRRM's best writing. As long as the show runners stick close to the book for the next two seasons, they will have Emmy's/Golden Globes on their hands.

Edited by ckal

Thoughts on that episode:

• That episode belonged to Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister. It was great to finally see Jon grow some stones against the wildlings and that kissed by fire scene was on point. Jamie's scene in the bath tub was IMO the most powerful non violent scene of the season so far and for Jamie's character in general so far overall in the series. I mean it really gave me the chills hearing him talk about Aerys and the events that took place during th sack of KL.
  • Robb Stark is fucked
  • Loved the idea of Littlefinger using that squire to seduce and squeeze Tyrell info out of Ser Loras, very clever indeed.
  • Tywin Lannister is a complete fucking Boss! Tyrion and Cersei have shown throughout the series that when on their own they can be powerful, cunning, and overall very intimidating characters. Yet when brought before Tywin Lannister he seems to always make them look like scared, submissive, little children, and I love it!
  • It seems to me the show is really making a huge effort to show the human side of Stannis Baratheon which I don't mind at all btw, I like seeing this different side of Stannis.
  • Un-Beric kind of freaks me out.
  • TV Brienne has a fantastic ass(if she wasn't using a bd of course)! Haha but really she does.
  • Lastly, I noticed that Tywin Lannister called ser Loras the heir of Highgarden so it seems we won't be seeing Willas in the show, and does anyone know if we'll see Edric Dayne? It doesn't seem like we will at this point.

Overall great episode!

Edited by Jon Icefyre

• Lastly, I noticed that Tywin Lannister called ser Loras the heir of Highgarden so it seems we won't be seeing Willas in the show, and does anyone know if we'll see Edric Dayne? It doesn't seem like we will at this point.

Yeah no Willas and Garlan =( The removal of these characters stream lines the story, so I guess it's not all that bad. This could be an issue later in the series though when Loras is assaulting Dragonstone and possibly near fatally injured, and Garlan is off defending the Reach/Highgarden against the Ironborn.

Hmm yeah. Doesn't seem like we will see Edric Dayne either. Wonder if we will hear about Jon's very early childhood through someone else or anything about milk brothers.

Since when are the Karstarks half of Robb's army? They are, at best, like 1/4th of his strength from the North. Add in the Riverlords and Karstark would be more like 1/8th or 1/10th of Robb's army. :dunno:

Since they decided not to get Greatjon back and show any of the other banner lords after season 1.

Edited by Oakenfist

Since when are the Karstarks half of Robb's army? They are, at best, like 1/4th of his strength from the North. Add in the Riverlords and Karstark would be more like 1/8th or 1/10th of Robb's army. :dunno:

True, although IIRC in ASOS the Karstark desertion was a major blow to Robb's army and military strength. In addition, Robb let his men go home if they chose to, right? So I imagine these two were pieces were just combined in the show for streamlining.

Interesting that Robb isn't going to the Freys because he wants to head back North. He's going to the Freys because he needs more men. Possibly they're downplaying the importance of the Twins as being the key to the Neck, or perhaps they're playing up Robb as a doofus who doesn't know when to cut his losses.

Since they decided not to get Greatjon back and show any of the other banner lords after season 1.

=( Yeah HBO doesn't seem to be putting any emphasis on other Northern houses aside from the ones involved in major plot lines (Bolton/Karstark). Still sad about the Greatjon.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Are they combining Shireen and Patchface?

Doesn't patchface say/sing something like what shireen sings at the end.

I liked this episode A LOT!! The duel, Arya, Robb, Tyrion, all of them perfect. Sure, they destroyed Loras, but who cares about him??? Selyse was shocking, but not out of character. You could see Stannis does love his daughter, that's a huge plus for him on screen. Selyse was perfect, a great addition to the cast.

Oh, and Jaime - Brienne ... PERFECTION!!

Edited by Bayard

Interesting that Robb isn't going to the Freys because he wants to head back North. He's going to the Freys because he needs more men. Possibly they're downplaying the importance of the Twins as being the key to the Neck, or perhaps they're playing up Robb as a doofus who doesn't know when to cut his losses.

I think the latter is possible. It seems Robb may be getting desperate with his frustration starting to show and influence his decisions. But who knows what happens between now and then, and if any other reasons arise along the way.

The bath scene was one of my favorite scenes of the series. Nikolaj nailed it. Brienne and Jaime have amazing character development.

They redeemed Stannis which was sort of good. I thought the show wasn't portraying him correctly but the scene worked. The fetuses were creepy.

I thought Barristan and Mormont were a little too chummy but their argument at the end put them where I imagined in the book (arguing).

That sword fight was messy but in a good way. Sometimes when sword fights are too well fought you get the feeling they were staged. I liked the battle a lot.

And I liked Robb's scenes too. Never liked Robb in the book because we rarely saw his perspective.

And the ending was strong, with Tywin dominating his children.

The one thing I didn't like was the scene with Loras. I always had the impression that he was honestly in love with Renly and would never love again. I know sex doesn't equal love but I still didn't like it. But since we never see his perspective I guess it could have happened.

I totally dug the episode, though it should have been called "Hot Tub Throne Machine".

Patchereen is awesome. A more interesting character than either Patchface or Shireen.

I'm assuming that the loss of the Freys is part of the idea that Robb lost half his horse, not just the Karstarks.

Nikolaj totally nailed his Aerys speech. I didn't even miss Rossart.

The bath scene was one of my favorite scenes of the series. Nikolaj nailed it. Brienne and Jaime have amazing character development.

The one thing I didn't like was the scene with Loras. I always had the impression that he was honestly in love with Renly and would never love again. I know sex doesn't equal love but I still didn't like it. But since we never see his perspective I guess it could have happened.

I LOVED the sword fight.

I like a nice tight butt so the Loras scene was OK by me.