[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

Shush up dudes, finally the girls get thrown a bone with those two handsome fellows hooking up.

Agreed -- the bath scene was phenomenal. I loved how Jaime's voice grew hoarser as he got more emotional and lightheaded. I don't think Brienne's backside was a body double -- the armor just makes her look a lot thicker. She's quite thin.

Oh, and the Sansa and Littlefinger scene -- I love how they're laying the groundwork. Something about that scene was just...soo....creeeeepy. Since LF was the one who communicated the plot to Tywin, I totally bet he was doing a little "muahahaha, Sansa is still mine!" after he left the room. I need to ask some non bookreaders if they thought that scene was skeazy. "Petyr."

Last random detail I loved was Stannis' look of terrified surprise when Shireen threw herself at him.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

Because they want to keep Rob on the screen as long as possible, the Red Wedding may be rewritten. I don't think so, but it wouldn't shock me to see a major deviation from the books at that point. This would make a lot of people crazy mad.

What makes you think they want to keep Robb on screen?? Did they give him that much material this season?? not really. Actually I am fairly sure they I are excited to do the RW in all its glory.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Because they want to keep Rob on the screen as long as possible, the Red Wedding may be rewritten. I don't think so, but it wouldn't shock me to see a major deviation from the books at that point. This would make a lot of people crazy mad.

I dont understand that. If they dont kill off popular characters they might as well just stop filming.

Haven't D&D admitted that the Red Wedding sequence is what made them want to adapt ASoIaF? Thus I doubt they will change it.

By the way, how the hell would Tywin know the Karstarks left Robb so quickly? Roose isn't in Riverrun so there must be another spy. Well even if there's another spy that information was delivered pretty quick, but I'm willing to suspend belief if there is indeed another spy.

I'm with everyone on the spy (Talisa) thing, but this is common war practice. They knew Robb was at Riverrun, they must have scouts around who saw the Karstarks leaving. There isn't much of a mystery in this one.

This was by far my favorite episode since probably something from season 1. Maybe not quite (Blackwater), but it was stellar. I even liked it a lot more than last week, and I'm one of those crazy book purist people. And I usually really really hate Bryan Cogman's episodes, but this was....fantastic. I was shocked.

I think it was a wise decision to slow down the pacing a little and give us longer scenes. I was saying last week that with all of these new characters, so many of them and their stories are losing significance and impact because of how little screen time they get. This was paced so well...longer scenes but we still were able to see plenty of characters. And some of the best at that. I felt like for people who have been feeling disconnected/distant from the characters, this was a great way to kind of slow down a bit and mend that.

Also, soooo much was pulled straight from the books, and when they do that it always makes for some of the show's best dialogue, and I wish they did it more often. There were not THAT many book deviations this week, and the ones that were didn't bug the hell out of me like they usually do. For the first time in awhile I wasn't thinking all of the time, "God this was such a POINTLESS deviation," but more like, "this is a great way to translate this scene to television." Damn.

I think the Karstark/Robb scene was done very well and it really was a great reminder of how much Robb can be like his father. They also did it in a way that didn't make Robb look like a total dick. Showing the murder of the little boys makes it much easier to not sympathize with Karstark, even though in the show one of his sons was murdered by Jaime rather than killed in battle. Robb is starting to finally be a little more likable again.

Shireen/Patchface combo was really great fan service and awesome choice of credits. A++++ to whoever thought of that. The greyscale was also really nicely done and Shireen is adorable.

Jorah being sneaky around Barristan was nice, I wonder if everyone picked up on that.

The fight scene between the hound vs. beric was obviously awesome and Maisie is such a great actress.

Jaime talking about what happened in KL that day was very well-done and really necessary.

Oh, and I LOVED how Roose Bolton screwed with Jaime by sort of pretending his sissy was dead. It really shows Roose's mean streak.

Yayyyy finally an episode I'm truly happy about!

Really loved this episode.

My immediate thoughts:

* Tywin Lannister is a BOSS. The end.

* I really loved Shireen. And I love that she is the one that introduces the Davos learning to read plotline. She was adorable and a nice contrast to the religious zealotry of Selyse. I think at this point she will be the only thing to humanize Stanis.

* The Hound/Beric scene was amazing. I love Arya more and more with each episode. She's losing everyone around her which is going to make it all the worse when we get to the RW.

* Robb Stark is a sweet summer child for thinking that the FREYS of all people will be the ones to save him in the end. I LOLed so hard when he said that.

* Really, really glad Sansa is not the one to reveal the Tyrell plot to Baelish. She clearly does not trust Baelish. She's beginning to learn how to play the game now (not that it matters! bwahaha!)

* Jaime/Brienne's bathtub scene was FLAWLESS. That's all I have to say. I just about lost it when he said "my name is Jaime" out loud. :(

The only thing that I didn't really like about the episode was the Jon Snow/Ygritte scene (or rather ... everything after The Lord's Kiss.) It just seemed too sudden, probably due in large part that they did not have an opportunity to develop their relationship at all this season. And I loved this scene in the books, so it bummed me out a little.

Last note: Shireen singing Patchface's song over the credits. Everyone keeps saying it was creepy but I thought it was strangely ... beautiful? I don't know, I'm weird. But I was definitely thinking "That's Patchface's song!" Do we have a translation of it yet?

Ok WOW!

- Hound Beric Duel was great!

- Jon and Ygritte was good stuff, Jon happy and not so uptight was nice

- Arya and the Brotherhood material was powerful

- Shireen's grey-scale looked wicked, but the baby tubes weird!

- The Final scene with the three Lannisters was top notch!

- And my favorite scene was the Jamie and Brianne bathtub i was riveted!

Lastly Shireen singing Patchface material? AWSOME I KNOW I KNOW

Shireen was awesome, but Stannis' interaction with her was unintentional comedy.

"yeah so Davos is a traitor and he'll rot in a cell. Oh jeez, lookatthetime I gotta go. Don't touch me bye"

------

Did they reduce Edric Storm to being a dead fetus in a jar?

------

Arya was fantastic. Gendry told her she'd be his lady and the next scene she's still consumed with vengeance & her thoughts return to Ned.

Edited by Vegeta_Greyjoy

Great episode. Bath scene was amazing as everyone said, but my favorite part was the opening duel and revival. Only part i didn't really like and was confused by was why they chose Loras for Cersi's husband. Does it seem strange to anyone else that she was told to marry the brother of her son's fiance? I mean i know they had crazy marriages back then, but that still just seems so wrong.

Yessss! That duel was one of the main reasons I wanted to see this book on screen. The firesword was pretty amazing. Plus I'm really included that scene Arya had asking Thoros if he could back a man that only died once. Friggin' heartbreaking.

Shireen's a cute little girl, even with the greyscale. I think that will be confusing for non-book readers, just exactly what she has. I like that they're combining her with Pylos and Patchface, and she's teaching Davos to read. Her version of Patchface's song is way better than Patchface himself singing it would be too.

Edited by sertravisredbeard

I am using this post to go on record with my predictions regarding not how the show will change the books, but rather to note where I think Martin's story is going.

1. Arya and Gendry are going to have a romance if not be a married couple. That dialog between them tonight was absolutely dead on as a foreshawdowing of this. Gendry was asserting his need not only to be free of a master/serf relationship but also his need not to be subservient to Arya. I am not claiming that they have feelings for one another in a romantic way right now, that would be creepy and out of character for both of them, but they will. They are a natural pair. When Gendry learns he is a Baratheon, he is going to change his idea of himself. I don't mean he is going to think like a Lord, quite the opposite. He may even 'accept' what he is but reject the idea of lording it over anyone which totally matches Arya's idea of how she would like to live her life, not as a great lady, but as a woman who makes decisions for herself about how she wants to live. And knowing he is her social equal is going to give him the emotional confidence to both allow himself to feel his attracton to her and maybe even pursue her. He is aware he cannot be her family now, but he will know differently later.

2. Daenerys and Jon are going to be a riveting pair once they finally meet. I don't know if they will be given a happy ending, but they are going to recognize what they are to one another in a big way and it is going to register as a physical and spiritual attraction. They will marry if Martin wants to give anyone a 'happy' ending. But it will be much like Frodo's happy ending, that is they will both be haunted for life because of what they have had to do and had done to them.

3. Sorry to tell those who love Stannis, but he is a creep and is surrounded by creeps. Maybe he isn't entirely responsible for his dark side, but it is there and he will never, ever get to sit on the Iron throne unless it is about to be destroyed. His agony is apparent in this episode; he knows he is not what he should be. Dany's 'dream' of the destroyed throne room suggest to me that she will arrive in King's Landing after it is already destroyed, perhaps after Stannis sits on it and precipitates its destruction.

4. Dany's is in no way the evil queen some on this board suggest. Both the actress and the script are making that crystal clear. She will have more dark crises, and she will make huge mistakes with her dragons, but those mistakes in Essos are part of her training for leadership of the battle to come in Westeros against the Others. She is going to have to learn how to control her dragons and how not to make serious leadership mistakes. This is the reason DWD ends with her standing next to Drogon about to be confronted and/or supported by Dothraki. The battle against the others will involve an alliance between former antagonists. I don't see many Dothraki crossing over into Westeros, but perhaps they will be her reserve force or a key number of them will cross the narrow sea with her. Ultimately, she may 'reform' their culture from its mysognism, but it won't be a genuine reform.

5. Two strains of magic will be revealed clearly by the end of the series. Tolkein's universe is being repeated in this sense. The Red God or some of his minions.will turn out to be evil. In other words, the god may have been misinterpreted by his followers. I cannot see Beric as evil, but he is compromised in some way and this episode made that clear.

Flame away: this is here as a record which I am bookmarking. I am not so nice as not to say: I told you so.

:smoking:

:fencing: :smug:

I can totally see all that happening. Bravo.