[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

@Joyful Union

Well, I don't know for sure, I remembered it as a process : she tried, and tried, and tried, while he was fighting himself; finally (and naturally :) , he broke. That cave -scene was a peak of their...well, relationship, lets' put it that way. And here, it doesn't have that weight.It was just, boom. And I'm not sure that they have enough time do add additional weight to that part of the story, because, I don't expect Ygritte to live longer than a few episodes. Sadly.

Yeah, Jon even slept with Ghost between Ygritte and him to prevent something from happening.

Ned had the book (which, given that it was 5-6 generations old is useless evidence from realistic PoV), appearance of the 2 bastards he saw, LF's insinuations that all the others looked the same, appearance of Stannis and Renly and possibly appearance of Shireen and Edric, who were sufficiently known that Ned would have had an idea how they looked like even if he never saw them.

And yes, it was that all 3 of Cersei's kids were blonde - Tyrion thought that if she had even one child by Robert, her kid's position would have been unassailable.

Now, in the series, the Baratheon brothers are actually brown-haired in the way that a blonde child may eventually grow into, ditto Gendry, Jaime is not much fairer than them, Tommen is the mousy color that will turn dark brown in time and Shireen is blonde!

I really don't understand why they didn't dye Baratheon hair black and Jaime's and Tyrion's fairer, as well as either picked really blonde kids for Tommen and Myrcella (there are enough of them among the bit parts) or dyed them too.

Funnily enough, as things stand, Jon looks the most Baratheon of the lot!

Oh, and re: Cersei's confession, it was private between her and Ned, Stannis can't use it as evidence. If he has a blonde daughter, he has no cause. It is such a senseless, counter-productive change, I don't understand why they went there....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree with you.

I don't know, maybe having all members of the same familiy with the same hair colour would have looked too cartoonish. Blondes vs Brunets vs Redheads. In fact, that does not happen in real life. But that made Ned's assumption weak, although it was already silly in the book. But, to be honest, people's colours have never been the best part of Martin's story (the Targ's purple eyes are just idiotic).

It doesn't happen in real life, but GRRM has already stated that genetics in his world don't work exactly like in real life. But even in real life, it is not so weird for families to have some characteristics. And purple eyes DO exist.

Edited by Darth Zyroth

And purple eyes DO exist.

Really? I've never seen anyone with purple eyes! Unless you're talking about albinos. Are the Targs supposed to be Albinos? I've never thought about it. Although that would make Dany's wandering in sun-blazing and hot Essos a tiny bit impossible.

Edited by The Mondrian Oak

Really? I've never seen anyone with purple eyes! Unless you're talking about albinos. Are the Targs supposed to be Albinos? I've never thought about it. Although that would make Dany's wandering in sun-blazing and hot Essos a tiny bit impossible.

Well they are more violet than purple, and is a very weird thing, but they exist. Maybe Targaryens are albinos, why not? She is the Blood of the Dragon, sun-blazing and hot Essos cannot burn her.

" 1. Arya and Gendry are going to have a romance if not be a married couple. That dialog between them tonight was absolutely dead on as a foreshawdowing of this. Gendry was asserting his need not only to be free of a master/serf relationship but also his need not to be subservient to Arya. I am not claiming that they have feelings for one another in a romantic way right now, that would be creepy and out of character for both of them, but they will. They are a natural pair. When Gendry learns he is a Baratheon, he is going to change his idea of himself. I don't mean he is going to think like a Lord, quite the opposite. He may even 'accept' what he is but reject the idea of lording it over anyone which totally matches Arya's idea of how she would like to live her life, not as a great lady, but as a woman who makes decisions for herself about how she wants to live. And knowing he is her social equal is going to give him the emotional confidence to both allow himself to feel his attracton to her and maybe even pursue her. He is aware he cannot be her family now, but he will know differently later.

"

In the books I think he does have feeling for her. They are both younger, so he acts more childish. But he mentioned how she looked different in girl's clothes and stuff, and gets all annoyed at her talking to the other little lord...

Wonder what they'll do to them in the show, it could actually be telling if there is a future for them in the book... Also how would that work if the convine the caracter of Edric Storm with Gendry?

Of course Robb's decision was the just thing to do. You don't excuse murder because it was commited by a man you need. That's Tywin-style, not Ned Stark style.

The manner in which he goes about it and the timing were pretty bad but it was the just thing to do.

As was Joff's decision to behead a lord for committing treason before his coronation. It's what Stannis would have done too.

But both Robb & Joffrey were advised to show mercy in order to maintain support from the North. And both chose the king's justice.

Yaeah... And isn't Gendry going around with Lady Stoneheart in ADWD trying to find Arya and stuff? It's been a while since I read that one, but I seem to recall that... How is that going to work with Gendry and Edric being combined?

As far as I know Gendry is still at the inn where Brienne got her face chewed on.

As far as I know Gendry is still at the inn where Brienne got her face chewed on.

That could change,but if Davos does his thing, Gendry could wind up back in Westeros saving Brienne.

Gendry position as a character is confusing to me , he is still in the brotherhood, yet does not travel with them....

working as a smith at the Inn at the Crossroads. Well see if the show keeps that.

Well they are more violet than purple, and is a very weird thing, but they exist. Maybe Targaryens are albinos, why not? She is the Blood of the Dragon, sun-blazing and hot Essos cannot burn her.

Targaryens are not albinos. Being an albino would make you more sensitive to sunlight, not less. Bloodraven was an albino Targ and had to wear hoods to protect himself from the sun. Dany has a problem with the heat in the red waste.

I think it could be more easily excused in the books. The books didn't stablish that ALL the baratheons had black hair. It isaid that always when Lannisters and Baratheon mixed, the Baratheons were dominant, and the kids had black hair. But in the show they dropped the Baratheons + Lannisters = black hair detail, and simply said that Baratheons = black of hair. So, only considering the show, Shireen's hair can hardly be excused.

Baratheons are known to have black hair and blue eyes. Its not just when mixed with Lannisters. Every one of Roberts bastards has the same hair as him.

I wish I would have thought of it myself, but someone here linked a really cool video that pieces it all together. Until I saw the video, I was just taking everything at face value. See what you think after watching it and report back...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

Never take anything at face value unless it is cigar.

Mention of spying is a constant theme throughout the series and serves as plot driver.

The one thing I noticed was that in the "I am not a spy scene" we get a very brief glance of a letter she is writing. I had to play and replay it. There is something concerning direction and it says Rob is moving east. The producers meant for us to wonder, but not know what. Talisa is clearly not alone as she appears to be. That is a big red flag, no matter what she was writing.

What the producers are intending for Talisa is anyone's guess, but assuming she is betraying Rob in a non-complicated way does not fit with what we know of the character. The idea that she is working with the Lannisters just doesn't wash.

The majority of the differences between the book and the series may hinge on what this one character does.

For all we know, she is working to protect Rob, not destroy him.

Targaryens are not albinos. Being an albino would make you more sensitive to sunlight, not less. Bloodraven was an albino Targ and had to wear hoods to protect himself from the sun. Dany has a problem with the heat in the red waste.

Yeah, you're right. Although, I never said that being albino would make you less sensitive to sunlight. I said that Dany would be the exception because she is "the blood of the dragon", but since she did have problems then it doesn't matter.

Baratheons are known to have black hair and blue eyes. Its not just when mixed with Lannisters. Every one of Roberts bastards has the same hair as him.

Baratheons are known to have black hair and blue eyes, but the books never said that ALL the Baratheons in ALL history have black hair and blue eyes. The ones we cunrrently know in the story do, but there could've been some exception before. Although it IS stated that EVERY TIME the Stag and the Lion mated, the Stag was dominant. It doesn't mean that there couldn't be an exception with some othe House. However, that wasn't mentioned in the show. In the show they just said that Baratheons = black hair, always. Either way, the show made a HUGE mistake with Shireen's hair. And....Robert's seed is strong.

Hey all, first time poster, long time reader. I've been loving this season altogether despite some of the deviations from the book. However, the one glaring problem that I've been having has to do with Loras. I have no issue whatsoever that they replaced his brother for the whole marriage plot with Sansa or Cersei, it's TV, and its way easier to use an established character than introduce a minor character. My issue really is the fact that it seems that everybody has seem to forgotten that Loras is a member of the Kingsguard at this point in the books. If i'm not mistaken, in the show, in S2E10 Loras asks King Joff to allow him to join the Kingsguard, which Joff obliges. Loras hasn't appeared in his white armor, hasn't been seen guarding Joff at all, and now is becoming a main plot point for being married off. What's going on? Did I miss something along the line in the show?

I feel now I am finally convinced that they've made Talisa into a spy. Firstly, it replaces the betrayal of Jeyne's mother in the books, and shifts the betrayal to Talisa. Same result, more heart break.

And, of course, Robb will understand his betrayal at the red wedding, right before Bolton sticks the dagger in. Yes, she will attend with him, and when he reaches for her, crossbow bolt in his back, she will stand just behind Bolton, somber look on her face, and watch him get killed as he stares at her in all his heartbroken hotness. In fact, if Talisa IS NOT a spy, I will be really disappointed!!

I also think this Talisa reveal will also take the place of the Shae betrayal. I do think Shae will be forced to speak at the trial, but against her wishes. I believe they will set up the Shae storyline to be a sort of tragic misunderstanding. She really cared for Tyrion, but was set up, blackmailed and threatened. When Tyrion finds her, she tries to explain, but Tyrion, in his rage, won't believe her.. then it's all... "hands of cold are always cold... but a woman's hands are warm..."

Thank you! I totally believe she is a spy. Have you seen the picture with her at the Red Wedding? It's a wtf moment because she totally is not supposed to be there you know... And then just all the evidence leading up to it.

I think Shae's jealousy at Tyrion saying Sansa is beautiful will rear its ugly head again when Tyrion marries Sansa. I still think she will testify and sleep with Tywin and Tyrion will kill her. If DD skip that, they are on glue because that was one of the many brilliant parts of ASOS!

Hey all, first time poster, long time reader. I've been loving this season altogether despite some of the deviations from the book. However, the one glaring problem that I've been having has to do with Loras. I have no issue whatsoever that they replaced his brother for the whole marriage plot with Sansa or Cersei, it's TV, and its way easier to use an established character than introduce a minor character. My issue really is the fact that it seems that everybody has seem to forgotten that Loras is a member of the Kingsguard at this point in the books. If i'm not mistaken, in the show, in S2E10 Loras asks King Joff to allow him to join the Kingsguard, which Joff obliges. Loras hasn't appeared in his white armor, hasn't been seen guarding Joff at all, and now is becoming a main plot point for being married off. What's going on? Did I miss something along the line in the show?

Welcome!

I don't think they have Loras as part of the Kingsguard in the show. I can't remember what was exchanged between he and Joff in 2ep10 except Margaery's hand in marriage.

I just watched the scene again, and you're right, he only asks for Joff to marry Margaery. I guess I just made that up in my head, my mistake! So I guess Loras just won't be in the Kingsguard in the show, unless that ends up being the reason he doesn't marry Cersei. If not, I'll be somewhat disappointed. Jaime's exchanges with Loras once he returns to KL are some of my favorite conversations in ASOS.

I also think this Talisa reveal will also take the place of the Shae betrayal. I do think Shae will be forced to speak at the trial, but against her wishes. I believe they will set up the Shae storyline to be a sort of tragic misunderstanding.

I was concerned about this after the second (I think) episode came out. the Sansa-Shae scenes are setting her up to be quite a nice understanding character, which won't really make sense if she flat out betrays Tyrion later on... Very much hoping she doesn't get turned into a victim