[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

Missed the one Hedge Knight reference in the Jaime/Brienne bath scene (i.e., "Are you thick as a castle wall?"), but was delighted to find an added one in the Shireen/Davos scene: "it sounds like 'egg'..." I keep wishing they'd do the Dunk & Egg stories as Christmas specials.. :D

I don't know about Christmas specials but Martin has been in talks with HBO about developing other shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they mean Dunk & Egg since HBO will likely want to milk GoT for all it's worth while it remains hot with fans.

I don't know about Christmas specials but Martin has been in talks with HBO about developing other shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they mean Dunk & Egg since HBO will likely want to milk GoT for all it's worth while it remains hot with fans.

Possibly, although HBO is probably more after a series ideas (hey, maybe we'll get Black Cluster!). I just keep thinking that since we get the Dunk & Egg stories between the novels, that it would be perfect to have a one-episode Christmas special between seasons. Especially since you really need "The Hedge Knight" before Jaime's flipping through that White Book. :)

It looks like they’re skipping Arya and Gendry at the bar and Arya and Gendry at the Acorn hall, which makes sense – those scenes aren’t necessary and it would be easy to make Gendry creepy with that sort of thing. But I thought they were cute scenes and was looking forward to a little adorable awkwardness between the two of them.

Well, the Aryan and Gendry on the show are older than their book counterparts, in the book it was cute... Gendry was childishly lashing out at her and being jealous about the little lording around... He even mentions her looks and all... But they are much older in the show, so those exact interaction would probably be creepy, especially because Gendry looks like a man and Arya still looks like a girl.

Really? I've never seen anyone with purple eyes! Unless you're talking about albinos. Are the Targs supposed to be Albinos? I've never thought about it. Although that would make Dany's wandering in sun-blazing and hot Essos a tiny bit impossible.

Albinos have red eyes. There some people with purple eyes, they are like a mix between purple near the edges and grey near the the middle...

Great episode. I know some people last week were complaining that the show focused too much on big game-changers, without enough character development, and this episode was the perfect answer to those complaints. We got the action of Sandor vs. Beric and the Karstark betrayal and execution, but the rest of the episode was pretty much all character development. The bathtub scene was done perfectly and really enhance Jaime and Brienne's relationship, we saw some great Robb build up and his plan to attack Casterly Rock will help to shock readers when it never happens, and the debut of shireen and selyse was very eerie but worked well. And whose eyes didn't tear up with Arya and Gendry's scene? On the whole, the only thing this episode was missing was a big cliffhanger ending, which would have excited viewers after all that talking :) But I kind of liked the symbolic shot of the lion, tyrion and cersei at the end. One of the best episodes this season, second behind last week's I would say. Oh and btw, Jon and Ygritte... :bowdown:

Loras telling another character he would never love another is not the same as Martin telling us from an objective point of view in the text that Loras would never love another.

It's not dissimilar to Tywin going on and on chastising Tyrion for whoring, and then it being revealed that he himself enjoyed the company of ladies of the night.

I imagine that if that had never been revealed in the books and the show depicted Tywin with a prostitute, people here would be going on and on about "character assassination."

Tywin wants cersie to wed Loras for the support of highgarden, but as the queen of thorns so thoroughly pointed out, they are already extremely invested in the lannister cause. Seems a bit redundant. Maybe he just want to rid himself of cersies arrogance but you'd think tywin the clever lannister he is would make a better investment with his only daughter. A bid for the support of dorne perhaps. But then again he is clearly no tyrion who is in fact lan the clever reborn

Tywin needs Cersei out of the way, so he can manage Joff himself, and like Tyrion did as Hand, he needs her to quit screwing everything up. If he weds her to Highgarden, the Tyrells aren't going to scheme against the throne, so she is, in fact, out of the way. If he weds her to, say, Greyjoy or Bolton, then he still has Joff being pulled 2 directions.

Jon Snow is rushed this season and I feel like they kind of dropped the ball on his story arc ... I guess they are relying on ppl just inherently liking him? I dunno. Oh well.

I think it's due to production issues; it's difficult and expensive to shoot in iceland. i imagine his story will become more elaborated on once they're south of the wall and in northern ireland again.

Question: Haven't really read the books. The only thing that bugged me about Jaime's story was, why was Stark's opinion the only one that mattered? Could he not have defened his actions to any other house, council member or anything? I haven't read the books so I'm not sure but was this the first moment the truth of why he did it revealed. Viewer's and readers knew DragonFire exsisted because of Blackwater. I also realize they -the people of King'sLanding- may wanted have keep it secret for security purposes, but really did no one really talk about it or investigate it.

I mean I know many people think Stark was judgemental and honorable to the point of loosing his head over it, but it's hard to fathom that Ned would have continued to fault Jaime if he knew it was to save the people of King's Landing and had nothing to do with politics.

sort of a "you never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression" situation, I think. But Ned wouldn't hear excuses about WHY he broke oath.

That's the one thing that annoyed me about characters' treatment of Jaime. He broke his oath yes, but so did the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns who all swore an oath of fealty to the crown. Why was it okay for them to break their oaths, but not Jaime? Very hypocritical.

Aerys and Rhaegar betrayed their "side" of the fealty contract first, so the Starks and Robert have justification.

Considering this is episode 5 ..and we have 5 more to go . It's possible that we will get the red wedding in this season. My guess either 7 or 8 judging from the pace.

The Red Wedding, it was confirmed a while ago, will be in episode nine. You can guess from the title: 'The Rains of Castamere'