[Book Spoilers] EP305 Discussion

Ran

Loved the episode. Only thing was they didn't show Ygritte as having the carpet matching the drapes, since she's kissed by fire and all that.

They're saving that for the 'piss feels like fire' episode. Oh Ygritte, you dirty dirty girl.

If I were a non-book reader I'd swear they were losing the plot north of the Wall. The urgency of the White Walkers being everywhere around them seems to have diminished quite a bit. They need to throw the viewers a bone & mention them every chance they get, since they made it look like the invasion was imminent.

Edited by Vegeta_Greyjoy

They're saving that for the 'piss feels like fire' episode. Oh Ygritte, you dirty dirty girl.

If I were a non-book reader I'd swear they were losing the plot north of the Wall. The urgency of the White Walkers being everywhere around them seems to have diminished quite a bit. They need to throw the viewers a bone & mention them every chance they get, since they made it look like the invasion was imminent.

I think that will happen with Sam the Slayer.

Best episode of season 3 so far.

The cave scene between Jon and Ygritte was really well done. A good escape from the horror and death that makes up the rest of the story.

The bath scene with Jaime and Brienne was excellent. Very well written by Brian Cogman and fantastically acted by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Gwendoline Christie, where we finally see a more human side to Jaime. I also have to voice my opinion that Michael McElhatton who plays Roose Bolton is the show's most underrated actor. The scene where he told Jaime about the Battle of Blackwater Bay was brilliantly subtle.

I hugely enjoyed the scene between the Tyrion and Olenna. Not from the book, but a really interesting encounter between the two most intelligent characters in the series.

Not a smart expectation on my part, but I didn't think they'd actually show Karstark killing the Lannister boys. The scene of Robb beheading Karstark was brilliantly handled, the similarities to Theon killing Rodrik was a nice way of showing the Robb is losing his grip.

The Dragonstone scenes were interesting, as Stannis seems to have a closer relationship with Selyse and Shireen than he does in the books. The dead fetuses in the jars were very creepy and it's not altogether ridiculous to imagine that they did exist in the book. Shireen was made very likable by Kerry Ingram and I like the interaction between herself and Davos. Her singing Patchface's song was a cool nod to book readers.

The Hound vs Beric was awesome, and Maisie Williams was on the top of her game in every one of her scenes. Richard Dormer did a great job of showing Beric's depleted humanity.

The scene between Jorah and Barristan showed that despite both of them being knights, there's a lot of contrast between them. Barristan's speech about wanting to serve someone he believes in gave us a great insight into what an honorable man he is. Nice hint at the end that Barristan knows that Jorah is one of Varys' spies. The casting of Grey Worm was very fitting, he really feels like a warrior who has been enslaved all his life. I loved the way he delivered his lines in Valyrian, he did it with a lot of intensity.

The final scene really showed Tywin's influence, one of the few times he's ever raised his voice. Despite the fact that his children and are the Queen Regent and the Master of Coin, he still has them on a tight leash. Clever way of avoiding unnecessary characters by replacing Willas with Loras.

Speaking of Loras, his scene was the episode's only weak point. He seems to have gotten over Renly's death WAY too quickly. There were plenty of other things they could have done to have Littlefinger discover the marraige plot.

Moving on to more important matters, how disgusting was Jon, eating out Ygritte after walking for weeks in heavy furs without washing. :stillsick:

They could at least have bathed before the cunnilingus.

What would be wild about that??

I assumed that Loras would get out of the Cersei marriage by joining the Kingsguard

Perhaps they will have Mace refuse the match as in the book (Willas to cersei) The idea of Mace refusing Cersei for Willas probably had something to do with their plans for Sansa although required them to slight Tywin in a way he probably is touchy about. Now, the same thing could be applied using Loras in the show if they go that way.

Perhaps they will have Mace refuse the match as in the book (Willas to cersei) The idea of Mace refusing Cersei for Willas probably had something to do with their plans for Sansa although required them to slight Tywin in a way he probably is touchy about. Now, the same thing could be applied using Loras in the show if they go that way.

I imagine it'll be Olenna who refuses the match in the series. We've seen a scene of her snapping a quill in front of Tywin, which could be her reaction to being asked to sign a marriage contract? Maybe she'll even suggest that Loras join the Kingsguard?

Loras telling another character he would never love another is not the same as Martin telling us from an objective point of view in the text that Loras would never love another.

It's not dissimilar to Tywin going on and on chastising Tyrion for whoring, and then it being revealed that he himself enjoyed the company of ladies of the night.

I imagine that if that had never been revealed in the books and the show depicted Tywin with a prostitute, people here would be going on and on about "character assassination."

Right, besides, Tyrion was just making small talk. Probably Loras wouldnt confide too much. Anyway we know Loras is passionate and young. Also, if the Tyrell family is as organized on this as in everything else, he might have been overstating his celibacy in his devotion to the memory of Renly.

Welcome!

I don't think they have Loras as part of the Kingsguard in the show. I can't remember what was exchanged between he and Joff in 2ep10 except Margaery's hand in marriage.

Yeah I was so confused seeing him NOT in whites but clearly I inserted a scene from the books into the show in my mind.

I imagine it'll be Olenna who refuses the match in the series. We've seen a scene of her snapping a quill in front of Tywin, which could be her reaction to being asked to sign a marriage contract? Maybe she'll even suggest that Loras join the Kingsguard?

Oh, I have no doubt Olenna runs the Puff Fish.

Moving on to more important matters, how disgusting was Jon, eating out Ygritte after walking for weeks in heavy furs without washing. :stillsick:

They could at least have bathed before the cunnilingus.

Well, who says they didnt? She could have hit the hot tub ahead of time.

Greetings from "lagardedenuit".

First reply here due to a broken english.

I've some questions deducted from this episod.

-First of all, Loras. Presented as the heir of Highgarden. It means Loras doesn't have brothers in the tv show (Willas ? Garlan ?) and according to me, we can't expect him in the Kingsguard. If he's a White Sword, Margaery is the heir of Lord Mace Tyrell. Engaged to a Lannister, it could be a disaster for the House Tyrell.

-Robb Stark and House Frey. Doesn't Robb have already the Twins army (a part of it at least) ? In the books they leave Robb's army after the wedding with Jeyne (or Talisa in tv show). We don't have such a consistency in tv show.

Edited by Nanaki

I really enjoyed this episode, especially the Lannister scens and the duel between the Hound and the Lightning Lord.

However, I found the preserved babies a bit weird. Don't know why this bugged me, perhaps it felt like they were going just for the shock value, rather than making a commentary on Selyse's character.

Greetings from "lagardedenuit".

First reply here due to a broken english.

I've some questions deducted from this episod.

-First of all, Loras. Presented as the heir of Highgarden. It means Loras doesn't have brothers in the tv show (Willas ? Garlan ?) and according to me, we can't expect him in the Kingsguard. If he's a White Sword, Margaery is the heir of Lord Mace Tyrell. Engaged to a Lannister, it could be a disaster for the House Tyrell.

-Robb Stark and House Frey. Doesn't Robb have already the Twins army (a part of it at least) ? In the books they leave Robb's army after the wedding with Jeyne (or Talisa in tv show). We don't have such a consistency in tv show.

I think we can deduce that Loras does not have any older brothers, he might have younger ones who could step in if he has to step aside in order to join the Kingsguard but we do not know for sure either way.

It's interesting that the TV producers haven't included prophesies given to Cercei by Maggy the Frog and those given to Dany by Quaithe as well as those from woodswitch the "Ghost of High Heart" in the series. The prophesies that came from them contribute greatly to the book forums. Cercei reflects on Maggy's prophesy, I don't think Arya has reflected on the woodswitch's comments to her yet, but she may soon with the direction she's heading. Dany is puzzled over Quaithe's prophesies, and would like clarification. In the books, the prophesies given have come true and form the basis for these characters decisions.

It's interesting that the TV producers haven't included prophesies given to Cercei by Maggy the Frog and those given to Dany by Quaithe as well as those from woodswitch the "Ghost of High Heart" in the series. The prophesies that came from them contribute greatly to the book forums. Cercei reflects on Maggy's prophesy, I don't think Arya has reflected on the woodswitch's comments to her yet, but she may soon with the direction she's heading. Dany is puzzled over Quaithe's prophesies, and would like clarification. In the books, the prophesies given have come true and form the basis for these characters decisions.

We heard maegi's prophesies in full AFFC if I recall correctly. Very late. I dont mind not having to spend time watching the characters perseverate over prophecies, mainly Dany and Cersei.

To be honest I am glad they haven't included prophecies and whatnot in the show. At first I found them interesting in the books, but then it got kind of tedious thinking about "what could they be??" all the time, and I think they kind of paint you into a narrative corner.

Best episode of season 3 so far.

The cave scene between Jon and Ygritte was really well done. A good escape from the horror and death that makes up the rest of the story.

Agree completely! Surprisingly, no one has started a topic for that scene yet. I tried this morning but they never posted it, I have no idea why.