[Book Spoilers] Jaime/Brienne

Katydid

Dear old gods, and new, please allow me onto the SAG TV nominating committee for this season. :bowdown:

^^ Hahaha very well put! The actors are doing an insanely good job this year, I'm loving it. As are the writers. Jamie & Brienne's scenes have been written beautifully and acted out just as well, there's just enough comedy to show that they're really bonding, but it doesn't over do it. I'm almost done reading SoS and they're one of my favourite relationships (I really hope he gets over Cersei ASAP haha).

I'm so glad they had him talk about Ned not caring what his reason was. I think a lot of show-only viewers think Ned's sense of honor makes him the best character but people like that have a tendency towards being extremely judgmental. And I agree that having him say his name is Jaime out loud added to the scene. It relates back to his conversation with Tywin in the first season when he said "I don't care what other people think of me" and Tywin said "That's what you want them to think." Good rewatch value for show-only folks. Plus that scene where he told Robert that Aerys had been saying for hours "Burn them all" when they traded war stories. Plus it flavors his question to Ned of if he would hate him less if he'd stabbed the mad king in the belly instead of the back. Basically they nailed it and this will make people look at Jaime's past douchebaggery in a different light. Especially with the way Tywin said "My children" with such contempt at the end of the episode.

Am a purist and a nitpicker (can't help it; I've tried) and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this scene. Being a big Jaime fan I had high hopes for this scene and NCW and GC delivered. It was superb!

If they passed NCW for Peter Dinklage in the Emmys next year am going to be so pissed!

I saw seasons 1 and 2 before I read all of the books and I always Jaime based on the subtle looks Nicolaj is able to give off. The acting without speaking, so to, er ... speak. And that line "There are no men like me, only me ..."

I've been looking forward to this episode so much ever since reading Jaime's confession in the book. I started to choke up. He is such a wonderfully three dimensional character. He will always be the man that pushed Bran Stark out of the window, and it's hard to reconcile that after hearing the story of why he stabbed the Mad King. So many layers to Jaime Lannister.

And Nicolaj does an excellent job with him.

holy shit so many feels right now. i teared up on that. I honestly forgot how most of it plays out in the books but i do remember sympathizing for him.

It was a great scene. For some reason i thought he was going to make a joke after she stood up to his insult. They then go into talking about trust and he reveals his story. AND HIS NAME IS JAIME!!

I am just SO curious how non-book readers are taking Jaime! My wife mentioned tonight, hey, wasn't he the guy who pushed Bran out the window and was screwing his sister? NOW I see why you like him!

It was brilliant. He used the whispering and raspiness in his exhausted voice to great effect; I felt myself leaning in closer and closer to the television to make sure I was paying attention to every word. NCW indeed nailed it.

The show is doing a great job of developing the bond that Jamie and Brienne have underneath it all, and Jamie's arc is finally tilting towards sympathy at the least and redemption at best. But seriously, butt, seriously? I can't be the only one thinking this right? I mean, mostly no one is opposed to a subtle shot of the backside of an attractive female or male, but the Maid of Tarth's rear guard was exposed way too long to remain protected. Ha, sorry for that last bit, couldn't refrain.

WOW! This was an epic moment for me. I was worried that his confession to Brienne would come out as lesser than in the books (remember, that scene spans over several pages) because they couldn't bring it in exactly as it was, but I see now that I had nothing to fear. It was perfectly played by both of them.

I wonder if we will get to see his dream played out? I hope so, because it is important in many ways, but I expect it will be cut. Anyway, this might be my all-time favourite scene.

I am just SO curious how non-book readers are taking Jaime! My wife mentioned tonight, hey, wasn't he the guy who pushed Bran out the window and was screwing his sister? NOW I see why you like him!

Sometimes I just want to watch that scene over and over again so I won't be such a fan girl. The slobberying/drooling fan girl is still winning out.

I need more Brienne scene though that show her feeling for Jaime so I can stop interpreting them as my own. I loved when it was talk of Renly's death that had her forget her own modesty and ready to snap his neck. Her towering over him was warning enough that she would drown him if he continued his line of torture.

I also would like to get more into Jaime's head to see how he's feeling and thinking. I've heard it said that there won't be a romance because he thinks of here as a sister, but he LOVES his sister in the most carnal of senses so I don't see that being an issue.

Honestly, I think he's in awe of her at the moment, with her desire to remain honorable, almost like his own Unicorn (yes, supernatural reference). I think if anything is really going to keep them from a relationship down the way way road, it will be his self loathing and feeling unworthiness. Because Ned Stark isn't the only person that believes he killed the king for whatever reason. His family, any of the other houses, even the Regent Queen, could have backed up his story after an investigation. He chose to have no one defend him from what I gathered.

"my name is Jaime" -that tied up a really strong scene pretty much perfectly. The only thing I didn't like was the reason he gave when Brienne asked him why the truth wasn't known - I would have preferred to hear the "keep the kings secrets" but that's minor.

Archived