[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 Preview

GeorgeIAF

Interesting ... it seems like things are coming full circle.

I like they way that they're using Ros's death to bring her relationship with Littlefinger back to its defining moment. Remember back to the conversation they had in Episode 2x02 about the sad girl from the Lysene pleasure house who wasn't happy. Baelish ultimately wrote her off as a "bad investment", gave her to a wealthy man who wanted to 'transform' her ... and his losses were mitigated. That was the first moment in the show when we witnessed just how cold, calculating and ruthless Littlefinger can be (obviously, we had seen him betray Ned, but as opportunistic as that was, there was definitely a personal element to it, given Littlefinger's abiding love for Cat). Here, it was purely transactional.

Baelish used that story to shake Ros out of her grief after she saw the gold cloaks murder Barra, and it worked for a time. But from that moment on, Ros's eyes were open, and she could never truly be happy as long as she remained in Baelish's service. So she scrapped her way to an elevated position where she no longer had to sell her body, and entered into a partnership with Varys, either to elevate herself further or simply get back at her employer. But when she crosses the point of no return, Baelish writes her off by giving her to another sadistic man who uses her in a way that satisfies his darkest urges.

As many others have noted, that's the tragedy of Ros's character. Ultimately, she was really just a young woman who was dealt a terrible hand by life - but unlike the Lysene girl, she did more than cry about it. She hid her sadness and used it as motivation to try to improve her situation, but in the end, she meets the same fate as another 'bad investment'. And Littlefinger moves on with his plans, this particular column in his ledger now balanced.

Very nicely articulated.

Yeah, he basically warns her that as soon as she is less useful to him, she will be dealt with. I just hope they had this happen because he knows she's a spy because otherwise it would make no sense.

I would think that's exactly why LF is telling the story to Varys. He wants Varys to know that he (LF) knows about Ros spying for Varys, and that as a result, she was doomed. A double win for LF, he gets rid of 'untrustworthy' Ros AND he lets Varys know he's one up on him.

I would think that's exactly why LF is telling the story to Varys. He wants Varys to know that he (LF) knows about Ros spying for Varys, and that as a result, she was doomed. A double win for LF, he gets rid of 'untrustworthy' Ros AND he lets Varys know he's one up on him.

A triple win really since he provides a way for Marg to really see that Joff's a terrible person.

Archived