[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 Preview

GeorgeIAF

Must be. I guess they wanted to stress that both these characters are foreigners and to spell out R'hllor because otherwise it is very difficult to remember.

I hope so. The more people speaking Valyrian in the show, the better :smug:

Something fishy is going on with the leaks...

No Robb or Roose this week

Last week no Stannis or Shireen

Last week the stillborns as shocking moment

This week

Ros

Leaks generally cover the most interesting bits. Pics of Robb & the Freys around a grand table are not interesting, and already covered in the preview. Similarly Roose. These are leaks, not photo summaries of the ep.

I find this whole thing of people freaking out about the sexual violence a bit hypocritical. It happens mostly in tumblr though.

When Theon was about to get raped in the earlier episodes nobody cried out about how horrible and insensitive the writers are. Instead people were going around saying he has a cute ass or he deserved rape or whatever bs.

Not everyone of course, many fans called out on this shit clearly, but then again they were mostly Theon fans. They aren't the same people who go around crying/defending the female characters of the show.

Something bad happens to a female character though, and all hell breaks loose. EVERYBODY goes and on and says how it's bad and how disgusting it is to show rape and so and so. Which is very good to show and tell, but...

But then, why didn't these fans come over and say the same thing with Theon?

So according to these people, rape is good if it happens to a man? It's not worthy of attention?

I feel I must speak up in defence of tumblr here. Yes, there are a lot of people there who are interested in the feminist aspects of Game of Thrones, since it's one of the few shows on TV that has a variety of unique, complex female characters who aren't just accessories to the plots of male characters. There are also lots of people tehre who watch GoT because it's a good show.

Regarding the whole Theon issue, I'm not sure where you've got the idea that the whole of tumblr is fine with guy rape but not girl rape. There are some assholes who think Theon deserves what he got (a view that is not uncommon in other parts of the fanbase), but there are just as many who are invested in Theon's character and think such attitudes are gross.

Please don't tarnish an entire website and fanbase with the same brush. It's like saying that Westeros.org is populated entirely with nutty book purists. There are some people like that, but they're just the most vocal. Most people just want to enjoy the show.

The concept of "spoilers" is a little less meaningful when the show is based on a series of books anyone can pick up and read. It reminds me of that hilarious Tor.com April Fool's joke a while ago where they posted an alarmist announcement in April 2012 to the effect that the entirety of Season 2 had been leaked prior to the Season 2 premiere...through the publication and distribution of copies of A Clash of Kings. Shocking!

That's why it's kind of neat from a spoiler junkie perspective when the show introduces plots or characters not in the books, since it means that book readers will be just as "unspoiled" as everyone else. The destination will probably be roughly the same as in the books, ultimately, but the detours keep everyone, including the book readers, guessing.

As an example, just look at the changes to TV Shae's characterization and her relationship with Tyrion, for one. We know that things will probably end badly for Tyrion/Shae, and that she'll probably die in Season 4, but because of the book/TV changes, it's not at all clear that it will play out the same way as in the books. Will she betray Tyrion? Will she be coerced into testifying against him? Will she turn on Tyrion out of jealousy? Will she wind up helping Sansa escape? If she doesn't betray Tyrion, will he still kill her? Will Tywin kill her? Who knows? The end result will probably be the same (Shae dead, Tyrion en route to Essos a broken man), but the "how" is a mystery, even to book readers. Ditto for Theon's arc this season, Sansa and Shae's friendship, Loras and Cersei's engagement, etc. etc.

This series has brought my inner spoiler junkie, for sure. Not only am I not content to read the books the series was based on, I'm desperately searching for spoilers for an episode that will air in fewer than five hours. How sad is that? LOL.

I feel I must speak up in defence of tumblr here. Yes, there are a lot of people there who are interested in the feminist aspects of Game of Thrones, since it's one of the few shows on TV that has a variety of unique, complex female characters who aren't just accessories to the plots of male characters. There are also lots of people tehre who watch GoT because it's a good show.

Regarding the whole Theon issue, I'm not sure where you've got the idea that the whole of tumblr is fine with guy rape but not girl rape. There are some assholes who think Theon deserves what he got (a view that is not uncommon in other parts of the fanbase), but there are just as many who are invested in Theon's character and think such attitudes are gross.

Please don't tarnish an entire website and fanbase with the same brush. It's like saying that Westeros.org is populated entirely with nutty book purists. There are some people like that, but they're just the most vocal. Most people just want to enjoy the show.

1) that's what it is for me. i find likeable female characters in many shows, but i don't find such shows like GoT so well written.

2) You mean it isn't? :lol: Now that's a spoiler!

Fine, okay, but it'd be better if people didn't go around being all hypocrites. "oh it's awful that there's so much rape, I hate what they do with Ros" "oh yeah, like with Theon too" "who cares about him?"

annoys me to no end.

I have a vkontakte account and have been looking all over and found nothing :\

Ivan Sidorov (guessing he is Russian) posted earlier http://vk.com/wall-297836_524306 which has the sceenshots so far. Not sure if there are any undiscovered ones on there.

You Russian too, schala? Glad there are other people in these parts on vkontakte!

1) that's what it is for me. i find likeable female characters in many shows, but i don't find such shows like GoT so well written.

2) You mean it isn't? :lol: Now that's a spoiler!

Fine, okay, but it'd be better if people didn't go around being all hypocrites. "oh it's awful that there's so much rape, I hate what they do with Ros" "oh yeah, like with Theon too" "who cares about him?"

annoys me to no end.

I haven't come across any blogs on tumblr who have criticised violence against women in GoT but were okay with what happened to Theon, but then again I tend to try and stay away from that part of the fandom. All the blogs I follow are big Theon fans, so I don't see that attitude.

It's not constructive because, by this point, it's clear to me that D&D are never going to change things like this. Last season I was very, very constructive in my criticisms towards the show. I actually defended the Joffrey/sexworkers scene in season two because, as I said at the time, it could have been used to demonstrate why Margaery couldn't marry Joffrey. But the problem is that this never happened. It was only ever referred to briefly afterwards and hasn't had any long-term impact on the plot.

So maybe you and other posters need to stop trying to reduce me to a ~book purist hater~ and think about WHY I've become so disillusioned with the show, and why I have a knee-jerk reaction when I see triggering scenes like this.

When it comes to the presentation of female characters, D&D have given me absolutely no reasons whatsoever to have any faith in them, and they've also made it very clear that they do not read criticism about the show. So why should I be constructive? Why should I continue being hopeful that maybe one day the show will improve?

If you enjoy the show - great! I'm glad you do, and believe it or not I'm not trying to ruin your enjoyment of the show. I just want viewers to be able to acknowledge the flaws with the show and discuss them. Ignoring them is not healthy and will only lead to more insensitive and offensive portrayals.

I don't have much faith in D&D myself, but I think the network is more to blame for maintaining the patriarchal status quo, Hbo wants to make money, the target audience for this show is young men, and to get their money they feel they have to pander to the male gaze. On the other side, compared to many other shows out there, there are quite a lot of 3 dimensional women. Baby steps man, baby steps.

I admit there are a few shows i hate-watch, thrones sometimes being one of them, but if its really as triggering for you as it seems maybe for your sanity's sake you should take a step away from the show for a bit

I find this whole thing of people freaking out about the sexual violence a bit hypocritical. It happens mostly in tumblr though.

When Theon was about to get raped in the earlier episodes nobody cried out about how horrible and insensitive the writers are. Instead people were going around saying he has a cute ass or he deserved rape or whatever bs.

Not everyone of course, many fans called out on this shit clearly, but then again they were mostly Theon fans. They aren't the same people who go around crying/defending the female characters of the show.

Something bad happens to a female character though, and all hell breaks loose. EVERYBODY goes and on and says how it's bad and how disgusting it is to show rape and so and so. Which is very good to show and tell, but...

But then, why didn't these fans come over and say the same thing with Theon?

So according to these people, rape is good if it happens to a man? It's not worthy of attention?

I'd also like to point out that the show is equal opportunity in reigning misery down on characters determined to be "not important' or marginalized by their status. No one seemed to give a shit that Ramsay callously murdered his own men (who were hunting Theon on his orders) by firing an arrow into a guy's head at point blank range for Ramsay's own random amusement.

Or that some innocent little boys got awoken suddenly and stabbed through their chests because they had the wrong last name? Or how about those kids that got burnt alive for no other reason than they were around the same size as some other kids they could be passed off as? Won't anyone think of the children????

There's all the gratuitous slaughter of animals like having a wolf its throat slit while it's awaiting some attention from its master, or a horse getting its head chopped off? Are there any triggering events for sickos with any of these happenings?

It's silly. Shitty things happen to men, women, children and animals that don't deserve it on this show all the time. I'm sorry there's some particular personal issue that exists with harm done to prostitutes but that's the individual's baggage to deal with, not the show's.

Jojen Reed has a seizure...Does that ever happen in the books? I remember he was very fragile and sick, but not shaking or seizures...That's Robert Arryn's deal.

nope never happens in the books, I think they are trying to play up the "magic comes at a price" kinda thing

The manufactured outrage that is on display here and in some other sites around the internet... Honestly, it's fucking hilarious. And hugely hypocritical. If these various "issues" that tend to spring up throughout the airing of each season thus far were so important to the offended parties, you'd have to imagine they'd be spending their time more constructively than by condemning it on fairly specific fan message boards. "Oh my goodness, this blurry picture of an actress pretending to be dead with fake arrows littered throughout her body TRIGGERS..." ...what, exactly, does it trigger? That time a misogynistic boy King killed you? It's just so ridiculous, it borders on self-parody. On-topic: Wish I hadn't seen those photos, but I wasn't expecting much more than what we got last week with the pickled fetuses, in terms of 'spoilers'. I'll be sure to avoid them next week, if they pop up again. On the other hand, this episode looks more interesting than I'd originally been thinking it would be, so that's a plus. Anyway, rage on. Over a television show.

I'd also like to point out that the show is equal opportunity in reigning misery down on characters determined to be "not important' or marginalized by their status. No one seemed to give a shit that Ramsay callously murdered his own men (who were hunting Theon on his orders) by firing an arrow into a guy's head at point blank range for Ramsay's own random amusement.

Or that some innocent little boys got awoken suddenly and stabbed through their chests because they had the wrong last name? Or how about those kids that got burnt alive for no other reason than they were around the same size as some other kids they could be passed off as? Won't anyone think of the children????

There's all the gratuitous slaughter of animals like having a wolf its throat slit while it's awaiting some attention from its master, or a horse getting its head chopped off? Are there any triggering events for sickos with any of these happenings?

It's silly. Shitty things happen to men, women, children and animals that don't deserve it on this show all the time. I'm sorry there's some particular personal issue that exists with harm done to prostitutes but that's the individual's baggage to deal with, not the show's.

I think actually people did care about Martyn and Willem Lannister being murdered last episode. They may have cared about Theon's captors if the latter weren't generic 'bad guys' and the millers' boys too if we'd seen it happen. Plus loads of people were up in arms about Lady!

I like Patrick mainly cos he and Protar make my opinion of D&D look more moderate, but I think he is downplaying all the other suffering that goes on in the show's world, which you are right to point out. Lots of people get a shit deal.

I haven't come across any blogs on tumblr who have criticised violence against women in GoT but were okay with what happened to Theon, but then again I tend to try and stay away from that part of the fandom. All the blogs I follow are big Theon fans, so I don't see that attitude.

That's because the Theon fans are the best part of the GoT fandom on tumblr.

I actually do understand the outrage. I don't understand why people are being so black and white regarding the issue. People are so polarized and quick to point fingers at one another.

Those screenshots were very disturbing for me. I was equally disturbed by the image of the two Lannister boys being killed (did not expect to see it on screen for one), for the death of Lady, and for the almost rape of Theon.

One has to ask, however ... does the upcoming scene actually serve a purpose? Or is it completely gratuitous? I will continue my analyses of that question in a spoiler cut for obvious reasons.

I don't think it is gratuitous. I think Ros's death will serve a purpose.

Again, her death facilitates many things. One, it serves to remind us that Littlefinger is someone to be feared (she is filling in where Varys' magi filled in) but it will also probably prompt the QoT to officially put the scheme to kill Joffery into motion.

If this was just another scene that was scripted to show how much of a sadist Joffery is, and that's it, it would be another issue all together and I would argue that it is gratuitous and unecessary. I'm sure that's part of it. We haven't really seen Joffery in true form for almost a full season now and we are going to be reminded of how utterly horrible a person he is. The books hinted that Joffery could become another "Mad King" and I think this scene is going to drive that idea home to the show viewers as well.

But that's not all the scene appears to be.

We won't really know for certain until the episode airs.

With all that said, I am not looking forward to this scene and don't even know that I'll be able to watch it.

I don't think that makes D&D chauvinists though.

Most of the main female characters are very strong and multi-dimensional. That's one of the reasons I love the book series and the tv show because they do such a wonderful job in portraying that fact.

Archived