[Book Spoilers] Any redemption for Stannis in this episode?

Hodors Shlong

I fail to see why I even need to answer this; Melisandre supports Stannis. Whatever reasons she has, she is a supporter and she certainly has some power and influence amongst his men.

That is why he needs her.

That's ridiculous. Stannis said, he had a duty towards the realm as a King not as Azor Ahai.

Saving the realm isn't solely a messiah type figure's job. If it is then doesn't that make loads of former and current Night's Watch rangers messiah type figures? I hate it when people put 'thoughts' in Stannis' head; he doesn't think he went North to fulfill some prophecy.

If he went North because he thought he's Azor Ahai he wouldn't have left the Wall to attack House Bolton; he'd have stayed at the Wall and gone beyond looking for Others.

Because Stannis is atheistic. Do you think the man who said

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

believes he is some messiah figure for a religion from another continent? Come on. He is using Mel as a means to an end. She is powerful, but to think he is some long promised messiah is so far out of character for Stannis it's laughable.

Yeah, the reason I like book Stannis so much is because it's far more obvious that he's just using Mel, though I questioned and still question the choice of trying to become king by adopting a religion differing from the religion of the masses. I just never really understood his rationale behind that, but went with it since Mel does have some powers and he has the unquestioned loyalty of those who've decided to convert.

"You are he who must stand against the Other. The one whose coming was prophesied five thousand years ago. The red comet was your herald. You are the prince that was promised, and if you fail the world fails with you." Melisandre went to him, her red lips parted, her ruby throbbing. "Give me this boy," she whispered, "and I will give you your kingdom."

"The boy is out of my reach," said Davos. "And out of your reach as well, my lady."

Her red eyes made him squirm. "I should have left you to the dark, ser. Do you know what you have done?"

"My duty."

"Some might call it treason." Stannis went to the window to stare out into the night. Is he looking for the ship? "I raised you up from dirt, Davos." He sounded more tired than angry. "Was loyalty too much to hope for?"

"Four of my sons died for you on the Blackwater. I might have died myself. You have my loyalty, always." Davos Seaworth had thought long and hard about the words he said next; he knew his life depended on them. "Your Grace, you made me swear to give you honest counsel and swift obedience, to defend your realm against your foes, to protect your people. Is not Edric Storm one of your people? One of those I swore to protect? I kept my oath. How could that be treason?"

Stannis ground his teeth again. "I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty …

If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady."

Melisandre said, "Azor Ahai tempered Lightbringer with the heart's blood of his own beloved wife. If a man with a thousand cows gives one to god, that is nothing. But a man who offers the only cow he owns . . . "

"She talks of cows," Davos told the king. "I am speaking of a boy, your daughter's friend, your brother's son."

"A king's son, with the power of kingsblood in his veins."

this scene takes place in a storm of swords, long before stannis ever decides to go to the wall and has no idea who or what the great other is. he is willing to sacrifice edric based solely on melisandre's visions and appears to believe the prophecy that he is the prince that was promised since he uses the prophecy as an excuse for his sacrifices. at this stage of the story, stannis has no idea about the others so it's unclear what darkness he believes he will save the realm from. melisandre is definitely in control here which is why davos acts and removes edric.

this scene takes place in a storm of swords, long before stannis ever decides to go to the wall and has no idea who or what the great other is. he is willing to sacrifice edric based solely on melisandre's visions and appears to believe the prophecy that he is the prince that was promised since he uses the prophecy as an excuse for his sacrifices. at this stage of the story, stannis has no idea about the others so it's unclear what darkness he believes he will save the realm from. melisandre is definitely in control here which is why davos acts and removes edric.

I don't agree, Melisandre promised that 3 kings will die, and they died, she gave bith to 2 shadow babies, she drank Strangler as if it was water.

Stannis has seen or knows about these things Melisandre has done, we know as readers that some of them are silly tricks or faked but from Stannis' POV, Melisandre has done some really powerful stuff. And these in a world where magic was known to be gone. I think it would be foolish in this situation for Stannis to not at least doubt the truth of what Melisandre says. And she tried really hard to just make him say "If I must ..."

And Davos has already smuggled Edric by the time that scene happened, because he knew if Joffrey died too, Stannis would probably convinced Melisandre telling the truth.

I think Stannis neither completely believes or disbelieves these stuff, he doubts them and if there's enough proof in one side, he leans trought that way I think.

He fears he won't do his duty if it somehow turns out to be his duty to defend the realm of men, the importance of doing his duty and the fear of not doing it is great enough in him to rather 'take the risk' it might be wrong than take the risk he won't do his duty. And yes, people often forget that from Stannis' point of view, Melisandre is much more impressive than from most readers' point of view.

• 1 year later...

Archived