(Book Spoilers) What do you make of the Shireen and Selyse?

Mr Smith

With the exceptions of the stillborns in jars, I thought they were marvelously portrayed.

The Dragonstone scenes were probably the some of the best scenes we've gotten this season so far.

I think that in a society where women are essentially valued for being able to bare children, a woman who has failed in this role might not keep the evidence right there in front of her where she can be reminded of it everyday. It definitely seems unhealthy and it makes you wonder why Stannis tolerates it. Still Stannis always had this vibe that he had a cursed existence in the book, so it does sort of capture that.

Stannis, Selyse and Shireen are nothing like I expected. I wonder... were their book versions THAT unlikeable that they had to be remade? Perhaps Queen Selyse is different from her book character because audiences wouldn't be able to separate her from Cersei and Olenna. Shireen is great and as sympathetic and depressing as I hoped.

Shireen is adorable but she is blond!! Which sort of puts the nail in Ned's whole "Baratheon: Black of hair" discovery in S1. The man died for being an idiot, according to the show. LOL

I didn't even notice that!

I wonder if that's intentional, as it couldn't be that hard to dye her hair for a few weeks. It was clearly established that Stannis doesn't care overmuch for his wife, and the she in turn seemingly had no actual objection of him being with Melisandre. Coupled with her uncomfortability of Stannis seeing his daughter, is it possible that Shireen too is a bastard in the show?

I didn't even notice that!

I wonder if that's intentional, as it couldn't be that hard to dye her hair for a few weeks. It was clearly established that Stannis doesn't care overmuch for his wife, and the she in turn seemingly had no actual objection of him being with Melisandre. Coupled with her uncomfortability of Stannis seeing his daughter, is it possible that Shireen too is a bastard in the show?

It wouldn't make much sense.

Stannis, Selyse and Shireen are nothing like I expected. I wonder... were their book versions THAT unlikeable that they had to be remade? Perhaps Queen Selyse is different from her book character because audiences wouldn't be able to separate her from Cersei and Olenna. Shireen is great and as sympathetic and depressing as I hoped.

I can only speak for my reading of the books, but Selyse is extremely unlikable. She's also a bit of a caricature in the books. We basically know nothing about her of any significance, apart from the fact that she is a religious fanatic to an extreme, and possibly slightly unhinged.

At this point in the book Stannis was hateful, for me. I really really disliked him. He improved slightly by book 5, but not by much.

Shireen in the books is practically a non-entity, she is defined by her illness and by her companion. She herself is seen but not heard. The show is a vast improvement.

I think they are going to expand Gendry's role. They might keep Gendry with Stannis and bring Gendry to the Wall. Gendry might link up with Jon and join the fight at the wall. that would be a great way to keep Gendry involved, since he's clearly a fan favorite.

Also remember we don't have the one-armed Smith at the Night's Watch, so Gendry could fill his role for the watch. Hopefully he won't get killed though, like the guy did.

Ha, this whole idea sounds like fanfiction.

yet....i freaking love it!

Shireen is adorable but she is blond!! Which sort of puts the nail in Ned's whole "Baratheon: Black of hair" discovery in S1. The man died for being an idiot, according to the show. LOL

This. Apart from being blonde, I love Shireen.

Selyse on the other hand............ didn't like her at all. Worst than in the books IMO.

And also...let me reiterate my relief that there is no Patchface. The most annoying character in ASoIaF. :thumbsdown:

What? I love Patchface! Besides, he is AAR, TPTWP and a secret Targ.

Instead of Edric Storm, Shireen is the sacrifice with king's blood that Melisandre will want. At least, I think this is how it is shaping up. I wonder how Stannis will react?

This is what I thought at first but then, why did Melisandre leave?

PS: I hope they don't dare. They would totally ruin the Stannis character. Book Stannis would never sacrifice Shireen.

Gendry is going to fill Edric's role, but before Shireen and Gendry are going to become very close friends which is going to make the whole sacrifice idea much harder for Stannis. He already looked stricken when Mel mentioned the whole sacrifice thing on the beach. Selyse and Mel are going to try to convince Stannis to sacrifice Gendry, Davos and Shireen will argue against it (Shireen might not argue in words but through her obvious affection for Gendry).

Shireen was a great introduction: the set up with Stannis asking permission to see her, his pausing at the door, her running to him, then the greyscale reveal. Wonderfully done. The lass playing her is doing a charming job and the scene with her and Davos was sweet. Great to see the reactions in Stannis's face too. It showed he really did love her in his own plank way.

Selyse was suitably creepy. I had her marked as more 'batty' in the books, but creepy works - although I am in too minds about the biology experiment, that may be a bit too macabre. The actress playing her struck as really looking similar to Lysa Arryn so that may confuse some watchers.

:agree:

Both actresses did a great job.

I loved how Shireen began teaching Davos. So fearless. Great.

In the books Selyse's crazy is a bit more subtle. Unfortunately, in a TV series, subtlety takes time to develop. For a side character like Selyse there isn't time to waste on subtlety and so they have to hit you over the head quick with the fact that she's a nutjob. I think the fetuses did a good job of that.

I thought Shireen was perfect. Really well done, and that scene with Davos was such a great addition.

I never really know how to react to show Stannis scenes because so many of the moments they show are off stage moments in the books. It's strange to contemplate the character interacting with his family one on one. I think Selyse is portrayed as one would expect with the Melisandre stuff being presented explicitly on the show. I thought they conveyed Stannis's discomfort and stiffness well; but I think they make him a little more warm and fuzzy than he is in the books.

I like how Shireen is portrayed. I also got the impression from the interaction between Davos and Shireen that they might possibly frame his release as something that comes about because Stannis goes with the kid's instinct rather than Melisandre's.

Re: the stillborn kids, I made a thread about this but it doesn't seem to have been approved because [NO REASON PROVIDED].

I think they're going to be used instead of the leeches that Mel burns. There's three of them, plus King's Blood and all that. It's clear that Mel is going to bring back Gendry and Davos is going to talk Stan out of burning him. The fetuses will be his replacement.

That would make a lot of sense. I loved the creepyness factor, but it would also be great to see a plot justification.

This is what I thought at first but then, why did Melisandre leave?

PS: I hope they don't dare. They would totally ruin the Stannis character. Book Stannis would never sacrifice Shireen.

There have been so many plot changes already, but it does make sense that Mel can locate the Brotherhood Without Banners since they are followers of the "Red God" and Beric has already been touched by its power. All in all, it seems more likely that Me will bring Gendry and the fetus' will be the sacrifice.

Archived