[Book Spoiler] Need advice on what to cook for a party for this episode

Borias

Anything that can be covered in ketchup. And definitely sangría. Or if you want to follow the book:

"Food, heh. A loaf of bread, a bite of cheese, mayhaps a sausage."

"Some wine to wash it down," Robb said. "And salt."

"Bread and salt. Heh. Of course, of course."

The actual feast in the book mentions:

Thin leek soup

Salad of green beans, onions and beets

River pike poached in almond milk

Mounds of mashed turnips

Jellied calves' brains

A leche of stringy beef

I'd skip the calves' brains...

Shigella Sand wrote:

I'd skip the calves' brains...

Unless you want to fake it . . . around Halloween lots of places sell Jello molds shaped like brains (perfect for your next zombie party!). I bet you can pick one up REALLY cheap on Ebay, if you hurry!

Edit -- added some Google suggestions:

"Armo(u)red turnips" -- for an authentic medieval recipe (hint: they made 'em edible by using lots of CHEESE on top!). :)

"Inn at the Crossroads" -- official ASOIAF cookbook! Lots of great recipes!

For those of you who have inspired my dessert I found this photo and I'm in love. It's a cake.

http://imgur.com/gallery/LGxIu

I'm drooling. I'm so doing this.

...With leek soup.

Salad with beets and feta cheese.

Poached white fish.

Mashed potatoes because turnips aren't food. I just can't.

Shigella Sand wrote:

Unless you want to fake it . . . around Halloween lots of places sell Jello molds shaped like brains (perfect for your next zombie party!). I bet you can pick one up REALLY cheap on Ebay, if you hurry!

That's a great idea, Sam with Hooters. I don't know if my non-book friends would suspect something was up. I plan on keeping the cake in a box until. After. The Wedding. I figure it'll be a nice way to end the evening.

I assume this is going to be a sit-down meal? Soup is messy party food otherwise! If your guests are going to watch the episode with you -- which I assume is the whole IDEA -- you should also keep some TV-friendly finger foods on hand.

Pretzels would make the bread-and-salt a bit less obvious, and they're snack-friendly. Maybe a dip to go with them?

As for Frey pie(s), supposedly pork tastes like human flesh. I wouldn't know -- unless you're counting biting my nails -- and your guests won't, either. I'm not sure where you are, but here in the U.S. pork prices have dropped lately.

Don't make EVERYTHING red; it'll clue 'em in that something's up!

IF you live near a Food Lion, they normally carry store-brand lion-shaped cheddar crackers. You could also use Pepperidge Farm "Goldfish" for the Tullys. Yeah, it's a stretch, but easy. :)

Here's an idea for pre-or-after dinner entertainment: Have a (written) trivia quiz (tailored to the TV show only, since you're the only Sullied). Determine people's ranks at dinner based on how high they scored, ranging from King/Queen to Peasant/Smallfolk. Here's the catch: The lowest-ranking have to wait on / be cupbearers to the highest-ranking, at least for the duration of dinner. Whee! (In the interest of full disclosure, I stole the idea from a friend of mine who originally used it for the reeneactment of a Mesoamerican ballgame -- yes, the one where the winners were beheaded. They were HIGHLY relieved to find they only had to serve at dinner instead!).

You'll have to confiscate cellphones/laptops/tablets beforehand to keep folks from looking the trivia answers up on the wiki. :)

If you can locate some "gold/silver" chocolate coins, they'll add to the atmosphere, as will asking your guests to come in GOT costumes. Don't know whether you want to take it that far, though, or worry about authentic dishware, or use trenchers. Maybe serve the pretzel dip in some hollowed-out boules of bread? It's trencher-LIKE, anyway.

It's also a good idea to find out whether any of your guests have dietary restrictions, whether medical or otherwise. Vegans would only have two options on your menu -- leek soup and mashed potatoes, and only THEN if the recipes don't use broth/stock, dairy products, or eggs. Then again, you know your guests better than I do! :)

TV!Westeros has potatoes, while Book!Westeros has turkeys. Yea, more options!

Medieval Europe didn't have tomatoes -- I'm not sure whether Westeros does. There's a Food FAQ/list on this site somewhere . . .

IF Westeros *does* have tomatoes, you could go with your original idea of pizza, with the toppings making various houses' sigils. This would take a lot of creativity, as well as knife work worthy of a chef! F'r instance, house Stark = gray direwolf (ground beef, pork or sausage topping sprinkles in an appropriate shape) with fresh mozzarella cheese. If you want an easier path, just go with the major colors of the houses -- no, I'm not sure what you'd use for blue, black, or purple!

Yeah, the red velvet "Throne" cake would be great, but so would flayed-gingerbread-men! :)

Okay, here's a genuine medieval recipe for fish poached in almond milk from medievalcookery.com:

Mortrewes of sysshe

This is an excerpt from Ancient Cookery [Arundel 334]

(England, 1425)

The original source can be found at R. Warner's "Antiquitates culinariae" (1791)

Mortrewes of sysshe. Take thik almondemylke, and put hit in a faire pot, and cast therin stigre, or elles honey clarified; and take a codlynge or whitynge, or thornbagge, or hadok fothen, and do away the bones and bray hit up with the mylk, and with the lyver, and put al into the same pot, and let hit boyle, and draw up floure of rys with a lytel mylk, and put hit in the same pot, and travayle hit wel, and make the potage stondyngj and in the dressynge make six leches in a disshe, and straw thereon pouder of ginger and sugre medelet togeder, and serve hit forthe,- and if thow have none almondes, take gode swete creme, and make on the fame wyse (in the same manner).

Haha I didn't read this whole thread so someone may have also suggested this, but you could make dire-wolf bread loaves like the one Hot-Pie made. It'd be a way of making them subconsciously think that it was a pro-Stark episode without actually saying anything. Then when the shit goes down, they'll be like "why the hell did you make those?"

These aren't true to the food in the story, but . . .

Direwolf Cookies. Maybe just the wolf head shape. Man shaped cookies and put them all together in a bowl. I'm sure someone will bite the head off one in jest and put it on the other, perhaps before the deed is done not knowing what will happen. :devil:

Bloody Mary's, Sangria, "Dornish" wine if you got it. I would go with a nice Spanish red. Maybe some nice filays of choice meat to go with it.

(I am getting both hungry and sickened by the meat idea)

:lol: if I did that to my friend she would literally probably start crying at the end...

The party will not last very long as the show is only one hour long. Not to mention your show only friends won't be in the mood for an after show party and wish to leave.

Speaking of parties for watching TV, I do that for election night results.

But yeah red wine is the best beverage for the occasion. But another question to ask is how will you decorate your house?

Oh the food will likely be served beforehand. And a marathon of catching up for those behind. Even with a DVR, it's annoying to pause live TV just cause 1 person wants more food, and then another, and then another. Although some folks will probably want some drinks after, to deal with what happened...

Archived