[book spoilers] Nitpick without repurcussions

Winter's Knight

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT LOVED THE FETUS ROOM?

It was PURE Gothic horror! Stannis Baratheon's family is pure a Gothic story. We have the crazed, passionate but unloved wife, the disfigured child in the shadows, the foreign cultist and the terrifying half-wit mumbling prophecies that come true living in a big, dark gloomy Castle.(BTW WHERE THE FUCK WAS PATCHFACE???? THAT PISSE ME OFF)) so it works really, really well.

Maybe i'm morbid, but I thought it was fucking ace.

I love Patchface! Give me Patchface, and I'll be singing and dancing like him. But pickled babies on the other hand..............meehhh ughh just :bang:

I expected something a little more uhm, flamboyant, but it's pretty much how it happened in the books, no?

Well, IIRC the people where more like OOOOHHHHH!!! when he died. In the show only Arya and Sandor. In the books Thoros (and Lem I think) took Beric to some other part of the cave where nobody could see, like if they where going to put his body aside to be buried later or something. Then after a while Beric comes back talking, moving and ALIVE!! That was more shocking. Besides, we didn't know what Thoros did, which made it more enigmatic and mysterious. In the show it happens in the middle of the cave, Arya didn't see, Sandor didn't see, WE didn't see, but SOMEONE must have seen it. and again people didn't show many emotions or surprise. Also, Thoros just sings and prays to bring him back, really? that's it?

my nitpick is with the opening credits. Why did they show Yunkai when the dialogue/plot didn't even mention that there's a city called Yunkai. Aren't they marching between cities in this episode? Don't they usual show the location in the opening credits when they actually show the location?

Sorry, but I really didn't like Pathface. I always read those parts only for the sake of reading. I share the opinion above that Beric's resurrection wasn't sufficiently shocking. And I skipped the Ygritte/Snow part, simply, because I hate these type of scenes, but here I am nitpicking the book. However, I also think this relationship wasn't properly motivated.

The Queen of Thornes was a breath of fresh air, initially, but really it's becoming very cliche at this point. I shouldn't be surprised given that the initial description she gives herself is "decrepit" thus, what to do with her screen time (?) outside of allowing her to suck the IQ points from everyone she comes into contact with using blunt and direct truths obvious to everyone, and speak poetically of "farts" and fig induced bowel movements as filler. Charming. Seriously, on this show, women are either seriously fuck-able, or mothers. It's hardly what I personally view as "girl power," but whatever, to each his own.

So, I just want to make sure I've got this straight----I've been privvy to untold amounts of boobs, vaginas, naked contortionists, girl on girl action, nipple shaving of two different varieties, butts, near rapes, etc., but the only full on frontal cock belongs to a no name actor playing a gay squire/prostitute. That about right? Okay. So, thanks.

Yeah, Robb, just your wife was right when she told you not to kill Karstark. Shocking that those loyal troops would leave the building. Jesus, but he's coming off as such a tool. Props to Michelle Fairley, though, who looks quite stunning w/her loose hair all wrapped up in misery. Casterly Rock? What the fucking fuck? But, as someone already pointed out, that point is mute. Mr. Birdsong spoke up to inform TVRobb to stop listening to that woman "with the really long face." I give him a pass, though, because he's unsullied, and just a girl ignorant to the ways of war.

I liked the jar babies, but not the admission that it was perfectly ok with Selyse that Stannis continue fucking Mel. And his failure to admit to the shadow baby death machine, or maybe he did? These two as parents, comic gold.

Naming stillborns floating in jars and telling your 8 year old that her favorite knight is locked up in a dungeon and no he can't come out and play. Literally, Mr. Birdsong turned to me and asked if this was intended to be funny, and, as mentioned earlier, he's unsullied.

Tywin smackdown was all kinds of win. Just W-I-N. Period.

Bolton, the brief moment bestowed on us to make more room for the "remember Loras is gay reiteration scenes," was appropriately creepy, and I look forward to a Bolton/Jaime scene in the future.

Agree that Tyrion has been completely whitewashed, but perhaps this is to allow for more shock value as to his actions in the future.

Loved Shireen's Patchface song during the credits.

I felt the Jaime/Brienne scene was the most not to be missed segment, as in, if you could only watch a few minutes, that scene is it. Quite well done, IMO.

Jon/Ygrette cave scene, by contrast, <meh> Perhaps there was so much fan excitement/anticipation over/for "the lord's kiss" that for me it lacked anything new in a way that the bath scene did not. But, admittedly, I'm not, nor have I ever been, a Jon Snow fan. I'm also not particularly a Jaime fan either, but the bath scene didn't fall so, I don't know, flat, IMO. This could all be different if Catelyn could have loved Jon Snow. Such is the nature of adaptations....

Overall, I'd watch it again. :)

The Queen of Thornes was a breath of fresh air, initially, but really it's becoming very cliche at this point. I shouldn't be surprised given that the initial description she gives herself is "decrepit" thus, what to do with her screen time (?) outside of allowing her to suck the IQ points from everyone she comes into contact with using blunt and direct truths obvious to everyone, and speak poetically of "farts" and fig induced bowel movements as filler. Charming. Seriously, on this show, women are either seriously fuck-able, or mothers. It's hardly what I personally view as "girl power," but whatever, to each his own.

So, I just want to make sure I've got this straight----I've been privvy to untold amounts of boobs, vaginas, naked contortionists, girl on girl action, nipple shaving of two different varieties, butts, near rapes, etc., but the only full on frontal cock belongs to a no name actor playing a gay squire/prostitute. That about right? Okay. So, thanks.

Yeah, Robb, just your wife was right when she told you not to kill Karstark. Shocking that those loyal troops would leave the building. Jesus, but he's coming off as such a tool. Props to Michelle Fairley, though, who looks quite stunning w/her loose hair all wrapped up in misery. Casterly Rock? What the fucking fuck? But, as someone already pointed out, that point is mute. Mr. Birdsong spoke up to inform TVRobb to stop listening to that woman "with the really long face." I give him a pass, though, because he's unsullied, and just a girl ignorant to the ways of war.

I liked the jar babies, but not the admission that it was perfectly ok with Selyse that Stannis continue fucking Mel. And his failure to admit to the shadow baby death machine, or maybe he did? These two as parents, comic gold.

Naming stillborns floating in jars and telling your 8 year old that her favorite knight is locked up in a dungeon and no he can't come out and play. Literally, Mr. Birdsong turned to me and asked if this was intended to be funny, and, as mentioned earlier, he's unsullied.

Tywin smackdown was all kinds of win. Just W-I-N. Period.

Bolton, the brief moment bestowed on us to make more room for the "remember Loras is gay reiteration scenes," was appropriately creepy, and I look forward to a Bolton/Jaime scene in the future.

Agree that Tyrion has been completely whitewashed, but perhaps this is to allow for more shock value as to his actions in the future.

Loved Shireen's Patchface song during the credits.

I felt the Jaime/Brienne scene was the most not to be missed segment, as in, if you could only watch a few minutes, that scene is it. Quite well done, IMO.

Jon/Ygrette cave scene, by contrast, <meh> Perhaps there was so much fan excitement/anticipation over/for "the lord's kiss" that for me it lacked anything new in a way that the bath scene did not. But, admittedly, I'm not, nor have I ever been, a Jon Snow fan. I'm also not particularly a Jaime fan either, but the bath scene didn't fall so, I don't know, flat, IMO. This could all be different if Catelyn could have loved Jon Snow. Such is the nature of adaptations....

Overall, I'd watch it again. :)

I just wanted to tell you how much your post made me laugh! And I agree with everything, except for i personally hated the creepy jar baby thing. I can't remember but was Selyse this much of a whacko in the books too?

Also, we can't forget about Theon's full frontal in Season 1 ;)

Anyways, onto my gripes about this one..

Jar babies

The Queen of Thorns continuing to cite poetry

Stannis' beard

The little girl who plays Shireen was magnificent, but the fact that she is blonde does kind of bug me.

Kit's acting. Lately I've been saying that Jon Snow is just a flat character, but during last night's episode I decided that it has to do with Kit's acting too. At least he's nice to look at. That whole scene fell flat imo.

Can't remember what else. I usually rewatch it the very next morning On Demand but effing comcast has not put it up yet, and my DVR is dead as Ned. But I did overall enjoy the episode.

WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE BOTH?

I love Patchface.

A completely tattooed jester with bells in his hat hopping from one foot to another spouting nonsense would look ridiculously stupid on television. I'm glad they don't include any fools since everything they do is completely impossible and sort of stupid. Just picturing Stannis near a fool would be lol.

A completely tattooed jester with bells in his hat hopping from one foot to another spouting nonsense would look ridiculously stupid on television. I'm glad they don't include any fools since everything they do is completely impossible and sort of stupid. Just picturing Stannis near a fool would be lol.

Commence the teeth-grinding. :lol:

The only thing that makes me a little sad about losing Patchface is losing the story of his drowning, it was just so weird and great. Also it was kind of adorable that papa and mama Baratheon got a fool specifically to try and "teach Stannis to laugh", hahaha.

I'm blanking -- what poetry was the Queen of Thorns quoting or alluding to in her scene?

Lol, sorry. We were saying how she tends to speak very poetically, especially about trivial things like farts and chamberpots and such.

Commence the teeth-grinding. :lol:

The only thing that makes me a little sad about losing Patchface is losing the story of his drowning, it was just so weird and great. Also it was kind of adorable that papa and mama Baratheon got a fool specifically to try and "teach Stannis to laugh", hahaha.

Now that you mention it I'm actually almost sad they don't have Patchface just so I can see Stannis' reaction to him.

Well it happend just like it happend in the book to my viewing at least.

Sorta, just not teally well done. It wasnt clear that he actually died until the later scene where they explained it

Archived