[Book Spoiler] Harrion Karstark

Lord Roivas

100% agree. Great question. You don't need to hire actors/have everyone appear. It would be perfectly fine to mention someone in passing. It would throw a bone to the readers, & I doubt it would confuse non-readers - they probably wouldn't even notice.

They should really be mentioning the Martells a bit more too. It will be interesting to see who they merge/write out there. And Hoster Tully's death could have had a bit more of an impact had he been mentioned at all prior to appearing on a funeral barge.

They do make mention of people that haven't appeared yet. They avoid making mention of people who will not likely ever appear, because that's bad for television. It's really that simple. And I knew almost nothing of the Martells before meeting Oberyn and reading those PoVs so this isn't a problem at all.

People seem to forget one very important aspect. GRRM added a tremendous amount of details to the books, in order to make this world look realistic. Each family has dozens of members, most of which are nothing more than background figures. Amidst all these details, which can be conveyed in a book, there is an excellent story, compose by multiple threads. It is this story that D&D are trying to tell on TV, especially, directed to non-readers. They have to do it in the most appropriate manner, taking into consideration the limitations of budget, time, and the view of the target audience, which is not the hardcore geeks. Why should they even mention characters that are, mostly, irrelevant to the story and that even many readers, like me, didn't care about, just because you are very fond of them? Basing from your opinions, I believe many of you no nothing about TV. I'm not saying there weren't bad changes, but this is not one of them.

PS: The Loras adaptation was, in my opinion, one the most successful changes. Most viewers are already confused that mentioning Willas would be as more confusing as pointless.

guys I got a question. Why did they have Cercei betrothed to Loras? Why does this show, D and D, seem that they can only TALK about characters that WE SEEN ON THE SHOW already and not talk about a character that we never met or will ever meet. Like they could of just said Willas, but they don't have to show him. They can still discuss about him. I just don't understand these stupid and pointless moves.

because every character that gets mentioned to the show adds to the complexity of it. Even if they're never show the character there's another character out there that the audience is suppose to know about, trying to keep track of the ever growing number of cast members out there is difficult enough.

because every character that gets mentioned to the show adds to the complexity of it. Even if they're never show the character there's another character out there that the audience is suppose to know about, trying to keep track of the ever growing number of cast members out there is difficult enough.

I disagree with this - just because someone is mentioned doesn't mean that the audience is "supposed to know about" them; but, it would add to the realism. How many conversations do you have with co-workers or friends who mention extended family and/or friends? Do those conversations confuse you? Do you try to keep track of all of the people everyone you know mentions? Or rather, do you gloss over those names, while at the same time learning more about the person you had the conversation with - adding color & insight to their personality & background? That's what mentioning some of these people would do.

The strength of the books and the series had been that it breaks the mold of typical fantasy stories. Limiting the size of families/characters to only those that we see takes the show back towards the typical fantasy mold in my opinion. And yes, I realize TV has many more constraints. And No, I'm not asking for every character in the books to be mentioned in the series.

Harrion very well may turn out to not be important. However, we don't know that yet. If D&D really do have insight into that, they are somewhat spoiling the story for readers. I view this as a mistake similar to how they killed off Rakharo - it just wasn't necessary (could have just had him disappear/not mentioned him).

:bang: Agree. Absolute travesty. Harrion was my absolute favourite quaternary character.

In all honesty who even remember the names of Karstark son's names? I sure didn't. And isn't talking about Harrion, Torrhen, Mace Tyrrell or even Talisa's brother just what adds the complexity and realisms that the Willas/Loras swap haters seem to crave?

I thought that changing Willas to Loras was a great move because Loras and Sansa can actually have scenes together and because it will make the outcome all the more painful to watch. It would be difficult to portray Sansa being heartbroken over called off engagement to a much older cripple she has never even met. It is only powerful in the books because we are privy to Sansa's inner thoughts.

Archived