Game of Thrones Ascent

shane613

Hello, should we add content from Game of Thrones Ascent, the Facebook game, to the Wiki?

I don't know if the info is random or not, or if it would be considered "canon". The storyline seems to follow around the actual storyline of the books/HBO series, but includes new characters and a few other things.

For instance, I got a message from Maester Lucas (is everyone's maester named Lucas?) that says "Lady Elayna Buckwell's holdings border yours, my lord, beyond Outrider's Ford."

As far as I know, I haven't seen Outrider's Ford mentioned anywhere else, but House Buckwell has been. I don't think Lady Elayna Buckwell was though.

Are these things randomized as I know the names of the sworn swords are, or are we to consider these real bits of, at least, semi-canon information?

We can definitely use it on the wiki. So go ahead. Btw how good is the game? Is it worth buying. I bought A Game of Thrones Genesis but this was a disappointment.

About the status: in the canon topic Linda proposed two canon versions. The game would fall under the S-Canon category. In practice this would mean that if something from the books contradict info from the game the info of the books take precedence though we should mention the contradiction on the particular article.

Actually considering the levels of canon, I don't think that game has been established as being confirmed as verified material by GRRM so I do think it is non-canon.

Personally, I'd like if someone proposed something about introducing non-canonical themes and subjects to the wiki but marking it as such. In a way, the wiki would eventually include all official material related to the universe yet properly organized and labelled. However, this is just me shooting ideas, I'm sure the likelyhood of this ever happening isn't much, perhaps it's for the best to contain the Universe to just GRRM material or that verified by him but part of me still wishes for the larger Universe.

Anyway, as this game doesn't have information verified by GRRM, its material is not canon which isn't accepted in the Wiki. Perhaps you can give the game an article but that's the only page you should create about it.

I was going to collect info on the game for myself just in case anyone wants to add in the future.

The only thing I can say as to its canonicity is the following quotes:

"If you’re worried about the quality or authenticity of the game, you can put the latter of those concerns at ease. Disruptor Beam has been working with HBO for over a year to ensure that the title accurately reflects the world of Westeros, with storylines that are familiar to fans of both the books and TV series." http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/04/30/zynga-signs-deal-with-disruptor-beam-to-launch-game-of-thrones-ascent-on-its-social-games-platform/

"I managed to form a relationship with George R.R. Martin, and he loved the idea of a game that would bring the politics and diplomacy of the Game of Thrones world to life in an online game. We were working with him on a game design for this even before the first season of the HBO series came out." http://kotaku.com/game-of-thrones-ascent-is-more-up-to-date-with-the-sho-476864152

If it's declared to be totally unofficial, then maybe it can just be a cool little trivia thing? I dunno, it's up to the "powers that be".

We can definitely use it on the wiki. So go ahead. Btw how good is the game? Is it worth buying. I bought A Game of Thrones Genesis but this was a disappointment.

About the status: in the canon topic Linda proposed two canon versions. The game would fall under the S-Canon category. In practice this would mean that if something from the books contradict info from the game the info of the books take precedence though we should mention the contradiction on the particular article.

You don't have to buy it, it's free as a Facebook app.

The game is more of a "choose your own adventure" thing than anything else. I think it's interesting since it follows alongside the storyline of the books (I've noticed a few things here and there that weren't touched upon by the TV series, so I'd say it's closer to the true spirit of the books rather than the show).

I like it.

Anything from any of the games only falls under S-Canon if we know it comes from GRRM. Just because he has consulted on some of them does not mean we assume any details from it are S-Canon. Only specifically confirmed details.

Yeah, not canon until GRRM confirms that specific theme details are from him. My experience -- having collaborated a little bit on one of the games he licensed -- is that he's pretty hand's off, so I expect Disruptor Beam may well have gotten some broad ideas of gameplay from GRRM, but he wouldn't get down to the point of providing storylines, deep background info that has not yet been published, etc.

Oh I thought you meant the other one. I keep forgetting the name, the one with the ranger and red priest. As I recall the company checked the story with GRRM.

For the ascent game I think it deserves a separate article but like Ran says let's not include details in other articles. That is until more is known about GRRM's involvement in the story.

Archived