London BWB - GoT season finale party - Thurs 13 June

The last meet up started out as a bit of a disaster, getting thrown out of the original pub, having to get everyone to the new venue, people whacking their heads into car doors, people coming down sick, people twisting their ankles while fencing and some truly gut wrenching karaoke performances :P But it all turned out good in the end for those that were there and fun times were had by all.

There was some crazy talk about making it a regular thing, even weekly! But I think that's probably unlikely to come about.

However, we definitely need a get together around the time of the finale of this season of Game of Thrones. Episode 10 airs on 3 June so we're looking at Saturday 8 June if we want to do this on a weekend, but I'll also suggest Thursday 6 June if something midweek might be a more popular choice instead. Feel free to suggest another date if that works better for you and we'll figure out which date works for the majority.

As for venue obviously we are never going back to the George Inn. The Blue Eyed Maid was a good alternative choice that night but I think we could probably do better. The Founders Arms was another venue suggested in the last thread but I get the impression that would be a very loud and busy place to meet. There's always the option to go back to some pubs that worked out well for us in the past like The Banker or The Old Explorer (so long as the handbag thieves aren't around of course). If anyone else has suggestions for geek friendly pubs where we can have a relatively quiet and private space to meet then please post them in this thread.

There was some crazy talk about making it a regular thing, even weekly! But I think that's probably unlikely to come about.

London after one month of weekly BwB get-togethers.

However, we definitely need a get together around the time of the finale of this season of Game of Thrones. Episode 10 airs on 3 June so we're looking at Saturday 8 June if we want to do this on a weekend, but I'll also suggest Thursday 6 June if something midweek might be a more popular choice instead. Feel free to suggest another date if that works better for you and we'll figure out which date works for the majority.

The season finale airs on Monday 10 June in the UK. You may not have factored in the extra-week-long break they're taking between Episodes 8 and 9.

The season finale airs on Monday 10 June in the UK. You may not have factored in the extra-week-long break they're taking between Episodes 8 and 9.

Hey with the what? First I've heard of it, man that sucks! :(

In that case I guess we are looking at sometime around Saturday 15 June.

Hey with the what? First I've heard of it, man that sucks! :(

It's because of Memorial Day in the USA. Blackwater got hammered in the ratings last year for it, so they're taking a break instead.

As for venue obviously we are never going back to the George Inn. The Blue Eyed Maid was a good alternative choice that night but I think we could probably do better. The Founders Arms was another venue suggested in the last thread but I get the impression that would be a very loud and busy place to meet. There's always the option to go back to some pubs that worked out well for us in the past like The Banker or The Old Explorer (so long as the handbag thieves aren't around of course).

I seem to remember most of us complaining a lot about the loud music at The Old Explorer and the bar staff did seem to be incompetent, so I'm not keen about going back there. The Banker has been fine in the past when I've been there so it might be an option.

At the moment I think most dates in mid-June should be fine for me.

I was thinking if we do go back to the Old Explorer we would ask to reserve some tables in the quieter downstairs area, but you're right that we should not reward them when they were less than helpful about it last time, despite the fact that we know for damn sure they could have turned it down in that area because they did the first time we went.

Aww that really sucks cos Im in London the weekend 8th but am gone again by the next weekend. :(

I suppose we can do the week before if more people are available. I'm hoping to make this one.

So it turns out that I'm going to Belfast for the GoT Exhibition on the weekend of 8-9 June so it looks like that's out, which is a shame because several others can't make the 15th.

I guess we could make this a mid-week meet up or would that result in a worse turn out?

So it turns out that I'm going to Belfast for the GoT Exhibition on the weekend of 8-9 June so it looks like that's out, which is a shame because several others can't make the 15th.

I guess we could make this a mid-week meet up or would that result in a worse turn out?

Mid-week would be OK for me.

I'm not a Londoner, but I'll be in town the first two weeks of June, leaving on the 15th. I'd love to do a midweek, or any date except the 15th, really.

I'll do a mid-week.

Mid-week seems like a popular option. Since I am coming up to London for work on Thursdays at the moment I'm going to suggest either Thursday 6 June or Thursday 13 June.

Feel free to suggest some other dates, mid-week or weekend, and we'll see which works best for the majority.

Archived