[Book Spoilers] Why do the Starks have it so bad? [Future events and speculations]

Exar0s

78 replies , supposedly a thread about the Starks, then someone sensibly points out that the Lannisters have had as bad off, then as a good thread does, digressions from the topic title.

I think that's the way threads should go!

In 78 replies not a single one about Targaryens!

If Aegon VI (and that gaggle of other names he has) turns out to be a fake, then Dany is really the only full blood Targaryen left!

(I mean Maester Aemon (Aemon Targaryen) has died.)

If Aegon is real that makes two.

It still drives me crazy that there seems to have been no other Targaryen high born or medium born or low born, left anywhere , well we don't know that for dead sure, but GRRM seems to have no explanation of that at all.

Didn't a lot of them get killed off in the original Dance with Dragons war, that's my vague recollection, and then another bunch died trying to turn themselves into dragons, so by the present generation they were already sort of depleted in terms of numbers.

78 replies , supposedly a thread about the Starks, then someone sensibly points out that the Lannisters have had as bad off, then as a good thread does, digressions from the topic title.

I think that's the way threads should go!

In 78 replies not a single one about Targaryens!

If Aegon VI (and that gaggle of other names he has) turns out to be a fake, then Dany is really the only full blood Targaryen left!

(I mean Maester Aemon (Aemon Targaryen) has died.)

If Aegon is real that makes two.

It still drives me crazy that there seems to have been no other Targaryen high born or medium born or low born, left anywhere , well we don't know that for dead sure, but GRRM seems to have no explanation of that at all.

Because we all want all the targs dead...

Of course there's real explanations from grrm, robert, clegane, stannis, jamie, and drago took care of that-

Because we all want all the targs dead...

Of course there's real explanations from grrm, robert, clegane, stannis, jamie, and drago took care of that-

What the hell, everybody in Westeros is going to be dead if the Others break through the wall.

I agree another Stark will probably die. I just hope it's not Arya. That would break my heart since she's my favorite character. However, I think for most people Sansa or Rickon dying wouldn't shock the reader as much so who knows what George will do. I didn't include Jon. He's a definitely a Targ.

Stark/York

Lannister/Lancaster

In The Wars of The Roses, Lancaster won.

Hopefully GRRM has a different outcome in mind for his books.

Actually that’s technically not really true. Neither House can really be said to have “won”. Both the Houses of Lancaster and York were actually cadet branches of the Plantagenet Dynasty. In the end the House of Lancaster was wiped out down to the last man. Henry Tudor came to the forefront because of the extreme unpopularity of the last of the seemingly victorious York Kings, Richard III. When he defeated Richard at Bosworth and assumed the crown, he married Richard’s niece, the daughter of the former King Edward IV. Thus in the end a new dynasty was created (Tudor) that essentially merged both houses.

Tywin's dead, Joffrey's dead, Kevan's dead, Cersei's been imprisoned and marching through KL's naked, not to mention seeing her child die before her eyes, Tyrion's lost all power and has been sold into slavery, even if he's getting out of it now. Jaime lost a hand, the love of his life, feels betrayed by his brother and is re-examining everything. Even Myrcella has been scarred?

What more do you want? Tommen being eaten by cannibals?

i am a truly horrible person. tommen is a sweet little guy, and yet, I find that question to be hilarious.

• 1 month later...

I am still hoping for something to get them or at least the surviving Starks to reunite or something. I am thinking of the words Ned's spirit whispered through the heart to Arya in ACOKK: " When the lone wolf dies, the pack survives." Meaning the children/pack will survive even if not together. Although i think all will be reunited sort of in the end as it is shown the direwolves/ children are strongest when together.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a line somewhere that from an author's perspective, the Starks aren't there for us to root for, the Starks are there for us to mourn. No one's emotions are tugged when a bad guy, or some random nobody guy, gets killed, even if the death is unfair and undeserved. But do something awful and unfair to our good guy, ah, that hurts. That's great story-telling.

Reading that made me really sad just now. It's so true. They will never emerge victorious in this story.

Archived