(spoiler for early part of book) Bran and Hodor

So I read the part where Bran warged into Hodor to fight the wights or others not sure how to truly tell the difference, and he was only able to say Hodor.

Now in 6 skins prolog he states that he couldn't tell his father anything while being a dog because dogs don't speak the tongue of man.

So why can't Bran speak more words then just the one (hodor)? I know that Hodor is still in their but if Bran is in control why not be able to speak more words?

Maybe Hodor has a disorder that affects his speech muscles. So even though Bran the Warg is in control of Hodor's mind and actions, he can't speak more words like a normal person does because Hodor has a speech disorder. Same thing could happen to a warg warging into a beast with damage eyes, injured legs, or broken wings. The wargs will just warg into a beast as it is but they can't improve the condition of its body.

its just the way 6 skins said "since dogs don't speak the tongue of man, other wise he would have told his father it wasn't him", he said it so passive. Almost like when warging into another body its yours but bound by that animals abilities. IE can't make a wolf fly or a fish run on land. But Hodor as far as I know was just not right in the head but his physical body was fine. Mayhaps I am missing a detail on what Hodors "condition" is.

Side question, if Bran wargs into Summer, does Bran understand the pack communications? Does he understand when one of the pack does a gesture, or is it him understanding thru Summer?

Side question, if Bran wargs into Summer, does Bran understand the pack communications? Does he understand when one of the pack does a gesture, or is it him understanding thru Summer?

He's interpreting it how summer interprets it. because he can only understand the wolfs gestures when he wargs into summer. if he could understand it on his own he'd know what they mean when he's in his own body

i think varamyr sixskins POV is the most unrealiable narrator we have had so far in this series.So anything he says should not be taken as a rule.

why do you think that? To me when a person is on their death bed they loose the need and desire to lie and lie to themselves. They want to end with a clean conscience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hodor is a lackwit.....it seems that Bran doesn't have the ability to break through Hodors mental disorder and speak normally....maybe it's impossible being that Hodor is still there and Bran is just borrowing him, so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I'm quite certain the reason Bran only says "Hodor" while in his body is because he does not want anyone finding out that he has slipped into Hodor's skin. It would be quite obvious if Hodor suddenly started speaking normally, therefore he acts just like Hodor in his speech to not be caught. Even Six Skins lets on that warging into another human is considered an abomination, so it wouldn't make for a pleasant conversation if Bran was caught.

• 2 weeks later...

Next thing we'll be discussing is can Bran make the dire-wolf sit cross legged on a chair while sipping from a cup of tea with its pinky finger pointed outward, discussing peace terms with the Lannisters at Kings Landing without having to risk being their physically.

Actually, I'm quite certain the reason Bran only says "Hodor" while in his body is because he does not want anyone finding out that he has slipped into Hodor's skin. It would be quite obvious if Hodor suddenly started speaking normally, therefore he acts just like Hodor in his speech to not be caught. Even Six Skins lets on that warging into another human is considered an abomination, so it wouldn't make for a pleasant conversation if Bran was caught.

That's exactly why he only says ''Hodor''.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think at this point Bran even knows that warging a person is considered a cardinal sin amongst other skinchangers. Bran lacks training and perhaps this is why he can't speak through Hodor yet. Noticed i said "yet"? Later in the series their may be a big reveal when Hodor says something besides his name and only those who know Hodor (including us readers) will know what's going on.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe that Hodor is just a simpleton or just a character to give Bran some legs - he must have some other meaning or use - I will be very disappointed in GRRM if he doesnt. I just think it would be hilarious if he were to inherit the Twins as a Frey (Walder)! But I'd like to think that the horn that Euron had to 'control' dragons and that fried the guys lung that blew it - I would like to think that Hodor would be the one to blow it and survive and maybe control the dragons until a point when Bran can Warg them - I dont know if Im making these comments in the right place but Id be very interested to know of others theories on Hodor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think he all but says it outright.

• 1 month later...

:i agree: 100%

Long time listener and first time caller, so please be somewhat gentle.

I thought that the reason the Bran couldn't talk was more to do with not wanting to be found out. Hodor suddenly speaking may be a little odd indeed. Although I have not read any of the Dunk & Egg books, I recall having read in a forum or something that Brynden Rivers possibly has also taken another human as a target of warging. This may be an echo of the idea that warging is an abomination. It may be somewhat interesting to think that like all of GRRM's work that the message about warging into people may have a component of pressures of religious tention in Westeros. I am assuming but seem to be sufficiently backed in the source material that the CotF relied on the warging abilities and this had bleached into the Firstmen's religious notions; the Andal invasion brought peoples who follow the seven.where warging is considered myth and the subject of derision. Take a look at the tales told of Robb Stark. The Frey's seem to have most of their cover story that Robb was warg and that made the breach of hospitality acceptable.

Archived