[BOOK SPOILERS] “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”

Dove

Didn't Theon admit to burning Winterfell down in show canon?

Weeeelll, yes and no. He said "and now I've burned everything down." Which could be a reference to the saying "burned bridges" rather than "I burned Winterfell." PLUS when he was knocked out, we saw the bag being put on his head, which was removed in his first appearance this season.

So mostly no.

I don't think Dreadfort will make it on there this season, they just added Yunkai and Twins are coming up

I don't see why not. Every episode includes: Winterfell, The Wall, King's Landing, Dany location (whether she is in the episode or not) Pentos/Vaes Dothrak/ Qarth/ Astapor/ Yunkai. In season one they introduced The Eyrie and The Twins (briefly) and in season two Harrenhal, Pyke and Dragonstone. Interestingly, they ignored Dragonstone in later episodes, even in Valar Morghulis, in which Dragonstone actually appeared. So, I reckon if they reveal The Dreadfort in the show it'll appear in the map.

Weeeelll, yes and no. He said "and now I've burned everything down." Which could be a reference to the saying "burned bridges" rather than "I burned Winterfell." PLUS when he was knocked out, we saw the bag being put on his head, which was removed in his first appearance this season.

So mostly no.

True. I did think it seemed a bit...unlikely. But, "and now I've burned it everything down" is a very odd line in that context.

I

Ramsey is usually more blunt to Theon about his role but I don't think it's out of character at all.

He's more blunt about Theon's role, but less blunt about the torture itself. He doesn't say "lol, i will torture you again" like in the show quote, but rather "Don't make me torture you again", "Be a good reek, so i don't have to take more fingers".

I just think he's less openly cruel (with words), but always pretending to be...stern?, which is of course just a mind game. But maybe that's only later, when Theon is already broken. Maybe I need to reread.

Revealing him as Ramsay isn't too much of a giveaway, since Robb ordered Ramsay to go get Theon and to make sure he was alive for Robb to deal with himself. What they need to keep quiet is the Winterfell burning

This ...

When non-readers ask me who has Theon, I just point out that they already know from the events in season 2... I'm like, well who was sent to get him? It's a no brainer...

But I like the way the show has done it ... GRRM loves basically telling you things without openly telling you, he wants you to pay attention to put it together yourself. So when the reveal comes you partly feel like a fool for not knowing.

I

He's more blunt about Theon's role, but less blunt about the torture itself. He doesn't say "lol, i will torture you again" like in the show quote, but rather "Don't make me torture you again", "Be a good reek, so i don't have to take more fingers".

I just think he's less openly cruel (with words), but always pretending to be...stern?, which is of course just a mind game. But maybe that's only later, when Theon is already broken. Maybe I need to reread.

Theon probably says something insinuating release in the future and Ramsey is telling him, nope you're my little plaything now. Nothing out of character, Ramsay says as much to him in the books.

Theon probably says something insinuating release in the future and Ramsey is telling him, nope you're my little plaything now. Nothing out of character, Ramsay says as much to him in the books.

I guess I'll have to wait how the full scene plays out. You could very well be right about the context.

It didn't really bother me much or strike me as out of character. I just think ramsay is more like "be happy to be my reek, bwahaha" than "no happy ending for you, sorry"

Concerning the reveal:

I agree with the people saying that it probably doesn't give that much away to the casual viewer. I guess it depends much more on HOW the reveal is done then WHEN it's done.

Its not obvious at all what's going on. Both my boyfriend and my roommate have no idea who's got Theon and why they have him. They have theories but it's basically the trap "boy" set for the viewers that. A. his family has him captured B. a rogue group is looking for information about the sack of winterfell. or C. a group is being PAID by his family to get info about what really happened at winterfell.

Neither of which is truth. perhaps #2 but even so its far from obvious what's going on which is exactly how Theon feels.

And i dont feel like pointing out what happened last season since we didnt quite get past season 1 before the premiere. lol

Of course after watching all the episodes over again in order. it's pretty vague but somewhat understandable who has Theon. However because Ramsay has not admitted he HAS theon, makes it all the more intriguing.

no they dont remember season 2. last we watched it was last year

Yeah that's the problem. You need to remember that Theon is under siege in Winterfell before getting clocked on the head by the Ironmen, and you need to remember that Robb tells Roose all Ironborn besides Theon will be spared (Motivation for them to betray him) and that Roose sends his bastard to recapture Winterfell and bring Theon to justice. It's all there. Just like in the books, you're given all the information but not spoonfed it. When you figure out what happens, you can look back and say oh shit how did I not notice this?!

This is how events should play out. The only person to blame for not knowing what's going on is yourself, for not paying enough attention or not caring enough. It's not a writing issue. I like that the show isn't dumbed down to cater entirely to casual viewers, and I mean absolutely no offense to your boyfriend and roommate - but I would guess they're casual viewers. They can figure out things as they play out on screen while the more devoted fan base can piece it all together quite easily from the information that's given.

DAFUT: lol yea thats exactly right! And when my boyfriend asked me specific questions i just told him I think it's supposed to be a mystery unless you can figure it out.

But for my roommate, she never really pays attention to anything but Dany parts and even then she doesnt pay attention to details. (any she only say each episode once) not a million times like me lol. and so she has no idea who's who and what is really going on, she only likes Dany's parts and is a believer that she will sit the Iron throne.

But she took interest in Boy during the rescue and has been starry eyed ever since. so i told her who he was, but it meant nothing to her. LOL

she said "is there a wife to go with that one?" and i chuckled and said yes. "i wanna play that part!" she's so silly.

DAFUT: lol yea thats exactly right! And when my boyfriend asked me specific questions i just told him I think it's supposed to be a mystery unless you can figure it out.

But for my roommate, she never really pays attention to anything but Dany parts and even then she doesnt pay attention to details. (any she only say each episode once) not a million times like me lol. and so she has no idea who's who and what is really going on, she only likes Dany's parts and is a believer that she will sit the Iron throne.

But she took interest in Boy during the rescue and has been starry eyed ever since. so i told her who he was, but it meant nothing to her. LOL

she said "is there a wife to go with that one?" and i chuckled and said yes. "i wanna play that part!" she's so silly.

She will have plenty of time to change her mind lol.

Archived