[BOOK SPOILERS] “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”

Dove

Shouldn't have Luwin's lessons for Theon be more on teaching him the sigils and words of the Houses of the Iron Islands, seeing how Theon is not bound to rule in the North but the Isles before the war?

Good point, but if teaching the ways of the Iron Islands was his aim, Luwin did not succeed in impressing upon Theon how wearing a silk doublet and jewels to Pyke was likely to go over.

Good point, but if teaching the ways of the Iron Islands was his aim, Luwin did not succeed in impressing upon Theon how wearing a silk doublet and jewels to Pyke was likely to go over.

That seems to more of a cultural standpoint then a historical one, thus it might not be a lesson that Luwin could teach Theon.

That seems to more of a cultural standpoint then a historical one, thus it might not be a lesson that Luwin could teach Theon.

Culture is part of history, though. Otherwise you're just learning what happened on what date. To truly learn history you have to know the motivations behind the events. He can't teach Theon about things the Iron Islanders have done without telling him why. Especially if he was a little kid. That's a kid's favorite question.

namely, to make the Bolton family treachery more surprising

first of all, nice thread, I love this storyline, and I love the fact that it's different from the books, it makes the show more interesting for us readers;

but about the boy's identity... my girlfriend is a non reader, but she noticed that bolton's sigil (on his banners, e.g. behind him when he's talking to the Kingslayer and Brienne in episode 6) is very similar to the cross where Theon is being tortured, so, it won't really be a big surprise to discover who the boy is, even for many non readers... (but as I say, I love how they're developing this plot)

Culture is part of history, though. Otherwise you're just learning what happened on what date. To truly learn history you have to know the motivations behind the events. He can't teach Theon about things the Iron Islanders have done without telling him why. Especially if he was a little kid. That's a kid's favorite question.

I checked the syllabus at Oldtown and can confirm that Iron Islands Cultural Studies is a separate chain- a ferro-boron/ aluminum alloy.

I checked the syllabus at Oldtown and can confirm that Iron Islands Cultural Studies is a separate chain- a ferro-boron/ aluminum alloy.

Of course. I'm not saying they're the same thing. I'm saying you can't teach history without mentioning culture. It's impossible. How do you explain the cause of wars without explaining what made people go hungry or what made people broke, etc. You have to know about the people acting or it's kind of pointless. Or perhaps I'm looking at it in too modern of a way. Meh. I don't think that people casually watching even remember that highborn children are taught history and sigils and stuff by the Maesters anyway.

Of course. I'm not saying they're the same thing. I'm saying you can't teach history without mentioning culture. It's impossible. How do you explain the cause of wars without explaining what made people go hungry or what made people broke, etc. You have to know about the people acting or it's kind of pointless. Or perhaps I'm looking at it in too modern of a way. Meh. I don't think that people casually watching even remember that highborn children are taught history and sigils and stuff by the Maesters anyway.

Theon could have known the Bolton sigil only too well, and been confused that he wasn't being bound and flayed upside-down, like he's supposed to be.

"Hey, Bastard! You're doing it wrong!"

Kidding aside, you're absolutely right. History without reasons is just called a "chronicle"

I doubt the history of Dogon Greyjoy's wars against the North and Westerlands dealt with Dogon's hatred of fine clothing and jewelery.

I doubt the history of Dogon Greyjoy's wars against the North and Westerlands dealt with Dogon's hatred of fine clothing and jewelery.

It's probably a combination of how much did Luwin know about the "Old Way" customs, how much did the Starks really want Luwin teaching Theon about how to be the perfect Iron Islander, and how much did Theon want to pay attention rather than riding, shooting and chasing girls?

Archived