[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

Bryan Cogman stated in an interview or on Winteriscoming.net that Loras and Margaery are the only Tyrell kids for now (meaning they can add other Tyrell sons in later if need be), but this episode seemed to rule it out, by Tywin stating that if Loras were Kingsguarded, then succession would fall to Joffrey and Margaery's children. It seemed to rule out any other Tyrell children.

Hahaha, when Robb was all, "We're winning every battle, but we're losing this war" I wanted someone to scream at him "And whose fault is that, asshole?!"

Edmure? Catelyn?

I enjoyed most of the scenes in this episode. Hated the Theon torture interlude, had to turn my face away. As others have said, there is a contract with Alfie Allen and they need to give him scenes. I wish this could have been put off until Season 5. Unlike some here, I hated watching it. Next viewing I'll fast forward through it.

Even though it deviated from the book, I enjoyed the intensity of the Melisandre/forest brotherhood scene. It wouldn't surprise me if, instead of Edric Storm, Davos frees Gendry.

Maisie is such a good actress.

I bet that Sam's obsidian knife will come in handy.

I'm wondering about the whitewashing of Cersei too. Laying everything at Joffrey's door will certainly make the TV audience hate him more (as if we need any more reason after tonight) but what about when we really need to hate Cersei? Humanizing her is taking place too soon, IMO.

One thing about the Mandon Moore order being put down to Joffrey- I've always been convinced that LF was behind that. Now with Ros, we have a proved connection between LF and Joff.

Also, am I the only one who has complete confidence that Davos will save Gendry?

I still think that Tyrion's whitewashing is much more severe and I will be extremely surprised if he kills Shae.

I took that as Arya will be a brown eyed person, a blue eyed person, and a green eyed person. You know, a person with many faces.

Same here- foreshadowing her being a Faceless Man.

Too much Theon, I agree with everyone else. They could have skipped a few episodes for this.

I actually disagree with this. Ramsay is supposed to be pretty much the most despicable person in the show, so i think we need plenty of scenes showing just how messed up he is. Also, those 2 are among the best actors on the show imo, so i'm really enjoying these scenes. :)

Bryan Cogman stated in an interview or on Winteriscoming.net that Loras and Margaery are the only Tyrell kids for now (meaning they can add other Tyrell sons in later if need be), but this episode seemed to rule it out, by Tywin stating that if Loras were Kingsguarded, then succession would fall to Joffrey and Margaery's children. It seemed to rule out any other Tyrell children.

Hahaha, when Robb was all, "We're winning every battle, but we're losing this war" I wanted someone to scream at him "And whose fault is that, asshole?!"

Again, this is no different than what book Robb did. His decision to marry Jeyne Westerling, a member of an insignificant house sworn to the Lannisters, did nothing to help the war effort. They gave the North 300 fighting men or thereabouts. So, how does that make show Robb different than book Robb in the end.

I actually disagree with this. Ramsay is supposed to be pretty much the most despicable person in the show, so i think we need plenty of scenes showing just how messed up he is. Also, those 2 are among the best actors on the show imo, so i'm really enjoying these scenes. :)

Agreed. I love their scenes.

Again, this is no different than what book Robb did. His decision to marry Jeyne Westerling, a member of an insignificant house sworn to the Lannisters, did nothing to help the war effort. They gave the North 300 fighting men or thereabouts. So, how does that make show Robb different than book Robb in the end.

Mostly the difference is that show Robb is less obscured by the PoV.

Honestly, show Robb and book Robb aren't that different, it's just more obvious how much he screws up when he does it on television.

It wasn't a great episode, especially compared to the last two. But they need to do a lot of set up for the later half of the season and they did a decent enough job.

The Theon scene was too long. They've spent enough time establishing that he's being tortured by people unknown and their identity can be efficiently revealed after the RW occurs. Now they are really just taking time away from other story lines.

The way they've gone with Gendry makes me a bit nervous as far as how it ends up. The "We will meet again" thing with Arya and Melisandre was interesting.

Just a random book reader question this episode brought up: is Valar Morghulis a widely common phrase in the free cities? Or one specifically used by the Faceless Men? It was strange to hear Melisandre and Thoros saying it. But I could be incorrectly attributing it just to the Faceless Men. I know Dany hears it too, but I didn't think it was a common greeting..

Sometimes people on here make me want to bash my head against the wall lol

The Theon/Ramsay arc needs to be shown to the tv viewers. If Theon disappears for a season or two and then shows up as Reek, the audience really isn't going to feel that emotionally attached to him. People who watch tv, for the most part, have small attention spans. By showing what exactly is happening to him, the audience will actually feel pity because they are witnessing his transformation into a broken man. This was easily my favorite moment in tonights episode.

I will also never understand why people are so sad that Ros died. All I read on here these past months is how people HATED her and couldn't wait to see her go away. And now that she has, all the posts I see are 'No, I am so sad she died!' Sometimes I think people just like to complain.

Also, not every character from the book can be in the show. Why some people can't get that through their heads is beyond me. Gendry/Edric storyline really isn' that different. Gendry could easily make it back in time to save Brienne if they go the route of Davos saving him and putting him on a ship.

To the people freaking out about Cersei/Loras wedding, it isn't going to happen! Yes, the writers are putting the idea into the viewers heads that they will be married, but we as book readers know different!

YES, the tv show will be different. If you haven't realized that by now, you haven't really been paying attention! There will be minor details changed that you won't like. Changes have to be made. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show for what it is....an adaptation!

Overall, I really liked the episode. The only part that ruined it for me was the cheesy ending with Jon/Ygritte.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel like all some people want to do is bitch and moan about every little minor detail. JUST BE HAPPY! I swear you will feel much better lol Sorry for any bad grammer. I typed this pretty fast and I am really tired.

Just a random book reader question this episode brought up: is Valar Morghulis a widely common phrase in the free cities? Or one specifically used by the Faceless Men? It was strange to hear Melisandre and Thoros saying it. But I could be incorrectly attributing it just to the Faceless Men. I know Dany hears it too, but I didn't think it was a common greeting..

Pretty sure it is at least somewhat common as is valar dohaeris.

I'm wondering about the whitewashing of Cersei too. Laying everything at Joffrey's door will certainly make the TV audience hate him more (as if we need any more reason after tonight) but what about when we really need to hate Cersei? Humanizing her is taking place too soon, IMO.

One thing about the Mandon Moore order being put down to Joffrey- I've always been convinced that LF was behind that. Now with Ros, we have a proved connection between LF and Joff.

Also, am I the only one who has complete confidence that Davos will save Gendry?

I believe he will too! And somehow... it gives the Gendrya fangirl in me flight due to the fact in the book Edric goes across the narrow sea and Arya will be there not too long afterwards... I really need to stop reading fanfic...\

edit

wish i had the like feature! D: I loved the scenes too. I look forward to those scenes now. Im such a sadist. Edited by A Bear covered in Fluff

Bryan Cogman stated in an interview or on Winteriscoming.net that Loras and Margaery are the only Tyrell kids for now (meaning they can add other Tyrell sons in later if need be), but this episode seemed to rule it out, by Tywin stating that if Loras were Kingsguarded, then succession would fall to Joffrey and Margaery's children. It seemed to rule out any other

Don't remember that from the book.

Well alliances like that , in medieval, were broken so many times one looses count.

Good plot thickening episode. I knew this one wasn't going to be very exciting. Does anyone else want to barf when Loras is talking about Sansa's dress? No, really, every guy in the realm likes to talk about dresses, lol. Even though the parts with Theon are unnecessary, loved the Bastard flailing him. So gross.