[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

I still think that Tyrion's whitewashing is much more severe and I will be extremely surprised if he kills Shae.

Yes.

In the books the difference between Tyrion's choices and Sansa's are made clear. Tyrion is persuaded into the marriage. They don't even bother to tell Sansa ahead of time, and when the big day comes she is told she'll be beaten and dragged before the altar if she's uncooperative.

In the show they've made it look like they have the same level of choice.

Edited by greensleeves

I'm sure it's been said before, but I really wanted Cillian Murphy to play Ramsay.

And yes, Davos will totally save Gendry! Not sure where Gendry will go after this though.. would he even WANT to go back to the Brotherhood after they sold him for a sacrifice?

Yes.

In the books the difference between Tyrion's choices and Sansa's are made clear.

Tyrion is persuaded into the marriage. They don't even bother to tell Sansa ahead of time, and when the big day comes she is told she'll be beaten and dragged before the altar if she's uncooperative.

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone believes Sansa has a choice. Her thoughts are never taken into account, the only difference we see is that she isn't lead to the altar ignorant of what is happening. We see Olenna planning for Loras, but there is no one to speak for Sansa. She can't speak for herself and no one would stand up to speak for her. I do not believe the show leaves open the idea that she could refuse the marriage if she so wished. That's why she was staring after Littlefinger's ship in tears, *that* was her only chance out of the marriage.

I'm guessing that Mel takes Gendry back to Dragonstone, and then the Edric Storm plot takes over, where she proposes burning him (or making a shadow baby?) and Davos frees him. Then he goes back to the BwB, but I'm kind of wondering why he would do that (in the show-verse) since they sold him. Maybe he'll go off on his own.

I am thinking they will follow the Davos narrative , as in the book, instead of going to Lys, Gendry will go to Braavos.

But Arya and Gendry won't run into each other in Braavos for a long time.

I'm sure it's been said before, but I really wanted Cillian Murphy to play Ramsay.

And yes, Davos will totally save Gendry! Not sure where Gendry will go after this though.. would he even WANT to go back to the Brotherhood after they sold him for a sacrifice?

But Iwan is doing such a good job! Sides.. Cillian murphy way too old!

Wait, what? Am I misreading this? Are you saying there was a scene with them in this episode?? I didn't see anything of the sort, did I miss something??

Also, I see quite a few people having strong opinions against this episode and somehow it seems to me like most of them are from the "don't change anything from the books or you're the biggest sinners ever" camp. I'm very curious to see their reactions to next season, which is supposed to have even bigger deviations and changes from the book.

Shame for you though, I love the books and I love the show, including this episode, which for me was the second strongest of the season.

Sorry I think I got a bit confused and somehow fused the Jorah bit from episode 5 into this one, since I watched the back to back. Apologies for confusing people! That'll teach me to rewatch the previous outside before the new one...

Side note, not sure anyone's brought this up...

Was the parallel between Arya's archery practice and the rather specific targets she used on the body, and the scene at the end with Joff and Ros, deliberate?

Because if so... frickin' creepy, D&D.

Side note, not sure anyone's brought this up...

Was the parallel between Arya's archery practice and the rather specific targets she used on the body, and the scene at the end with Joff and Ros, deliberate?

Because if so... frickin' creepy, D&D.

I think it certainly was. Also the idea that Arya uses a real bow while Joffrey uses a crossbow...

Explicitly said they were speaking high Valyrian, now for people from the free cities, that is a nice touch.

Have to see what David Peterson has to say about it.

Edited by boojam

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone believes Sansa has a choice. Her thoughts are never taken into account, the only difference we see is that she isn't lead to the altar ignorant of what is happening. We see Olenna planning for Loras, but there is no one to speak for Sansa. She can't speak for herself and no one would stand up to speak for her. I do not believe the show leaves open the idea that she could refuse the marriage if she so wished. That's why she was staring after Littlefinger's ship in tears, *that* was her only chance out of the marriage.

Right... I'm not arguing that Sansa had a choice, but that the show is portraying Tyrion and Sansa's level of choice as the same.

In the show we have both Tyrion and Sansa just being told they'll be married (presumably we didn't get to see Sansa's scene... Do we think Tyrion threatened her?), and then they are both unhappy about it.

And yet their positions are different because Tyrion *does* have a choice. He is not a prisoner. This is clear in the books, and is made even clearer when contrasted with Sansa's treatment on the matter.

Yes.

In the books the difference between Tyrion's choices and Sansa's are made clear. Tyrion is persuaded into the marriage. They don't even bother to tell Sansa ahead of time, and when the big day comes she is told she'll be beaten and dragged before the altar if she's uncooperative.

Yeah don't know why they changed that. Could of found some other way to work in some more dialog time for Peter than that.

One trump for George there.

Oh my lord I have to watch Blackwater again to wash out the awful.

The Climb: What was that James Bond/Eiger Sanction thing with Jon and Orell? Not clear why they have to invent an enemy for Jon in his battallion. I think they could have had the experienced climbers go first as in the book - not Jon and Ygritte being in the first team without ruining the story or taking longer. It was cheap and gimmicky.

Any more scenes putting LF and Varys together should be immediately cut because i have had enough. Some other device to keep us partially informed is called for. Their badinage isnt real informative or clever.

For those who wanted Ros gone, I blame you for that scene.

Smartassery was not the right tone for the Tyrion-Shae-Sansa scene.

The scene of Sam and Gilly was sweet and not completely ruined by Sam pulling that giant obsidian dagger out of his a**

Mel and Thoros together and Gendry whisked away - well I hope they havent gone too far out on a limb here. It could work. We shall see.

Seizures, really? Osha and Meera sniping? Really awfu and wastes of time. Jojen's big prediction landed like a dead fish after all the drama.

Reek and Theon shone.

The Frey-Robb-Tully scene was also fine. They even found some weasely faces.

I dont know if I can stand to rewatch this to give a better assessment.

Right... I'm not arguing that Sansa had a choice, but that the show is portraying Tyrion and Sansa's level of choice as the same.

In the show we have both Tyrion and Sansa just being told they'll be married (presumably we didn't get to see Sansa's scene... Do we think Tyrion threatened her?), and then they are both unhappy about it.

And yet their positions are different because Tyrion *does* have a choice. He is not a prisoner. This is clear in the books, and is made even clearer when contrasted with Sansa's treatment on the matter.

Tyrion has the choice to flee KL or stay and do his duty as Tywin's son. Not really much of a choice.

I don't believe for a second Tyrion is going to kill

Shay on the show. He's a hero on the show. Tywin

will either have her killed or she'll be shipped off to

parts unknown.

Davos will likely save Gendry as he saved/ instead of saving

Edric Storm in the books. But I can't imagine why Gendry

would want to go back to the Brotherhood.

Mel was working her creepy "charm" this episode.

But it was weird having her have scenes with

Thoras and Arya.