[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

OK...on rewatch....

Mel looks into Arya's eyes and says 'I see darkness there. And looking back at me, brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes that you'll shut forever. We will meet again'

Sometimes people on here make me want to bash my head against the wall lol

The Theon/Ramsay arc needs to be shown to the tv viewers. If Theon disappears for a season or two and then shows up as Reek, the audience really isn't going to feel that emotionally attached to him. People who watch tv, for the most part, have small attention spans. By showing what exactly is happening to him, the audience will actually feel pity because they are witnessing his transformation into a broken man. This was easily my favorite moment in tonights episode.

I will also never understand why people are so sad that Ros died. All I read on here these past months is how people HATED her and couldn't wait to see her go away. And now that she has, all the posts I see are 'No, I am so sad she died!' Sometimes I think people just like to complain.

Also, not every character from the book can be in the show. Why some people can't get that through their heads is beyond me. Gendry/Edric storyline really isn' that different. Gendry could easily make it back in time to save Brienne if they go the route of Davos saving him and putting him on a ship.

To the people freaking out about Cersei/Loras wedding, it isn't going to happen! Yes, the writers are putting the idea into the viewers heads that they will be married, but we as book readers know different!

YES, the tv show will be different. If you haven't realized that by now, you haven't really been paying attention! There will be minor details changed that you won't like. Changes have to be made. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show for what it is....an adaptation!

Overall, I really liked the episode. The only part that ruined it for me was the cheesy ending with Jon/Ygritte.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel like all some people want to do is bitch and moan about every little minor detail. JUST BE HAPPY! I swear you will feel much better lol Sorry for any bad grammer. I typed this pretty fast and I am really tired.

The Theon/Ramsay arc needs to be shown to the tv viewers. If Theon disappears for a season or two and then shows up as Reek, the audience really isn't going to feel that emotionally attached to him. People who watch tv, for the most part, have small attention spans. By showing what exactly is happening to him, the audience will actually feel pity because they are witnessing his transformation into a broken man. This was easily my favorite moment in tonights episode.

I will also never understand why people are so sad that Ros died. All I read on here these past months is how people HATED her and couldn't wait to see her go away. And now that she has, all the posts I see are 'No, I am so sad she died!' Sometimes I think people just like to complain.

Also, not every character from the book can be in the show. Why some people can't get that through their heads is beyond me. Gendry/Edric storyline really isn' that different. Gendry could easily make it back in time to save Brienne if they go the route of Davos saving him and putting him on a ship.

To the people freaking out about Cersei/Loras wedding, it isn't going to happen! Yes, the writers are putting the idea into the viewers heads that they will be married, but we as book readers know different!

YES, the tv show will be different. If you haven't realized that by now, you haven't really been paying attention! There will be minor details changed that you won't like. Changes have to be made. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show for what it is....an adaptation!

Overall, I really liked the episode. The only part that ruined it for me was the cheesy ending with Jon/Ygritte.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel like all some people want to do is bitch and moan about every little minor detail. JUST BE HAPPY! I swear you will feel much better lol Sorry for any bad grammer. I typed this pretty fast and I am really tired.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. Well said sir.

Edited by Warden of the North121

Tyrion has the choice to flee KL or stay and do his duty as Tywin's son. Not really much of a choice.

Tywin and Kevan go to the trouble of persuading Tyrion (it's a relatively lengthy conversation)... they wouldn't have done that if Tyrion couldn't say 'no'. Also, Tyrion himself offers to let Sansa wed Lancel... meaning, again, that he can get out of it. He was pressured and persuaded into that marriage. Sansa was forced.

Right... I'm not arguing that Sansa had a choice, but that the show is portraying Tyrion and Sansa's level of choice as the same.

In the show we have both Tyrion and Sansa just being told they'll be married (presumably we didn't get to see Sansa's scene... Do we think Tyrion threatened her?), and then they are both unhappy about it.

And yet their positions are different because Tyrion *does* have a choice. He is not a prisoner. This is clear in the books, and is made even clearer when contrasted with Sansa's treatment on the matter.

He has a choice to marry her or let her be married to another relation. The benefits of the marriage clearly weigh in favor of him accepting it. But none of those benefits exist without a consummation which he decides against that. I agree that the show tends to whitewash Tryion, but the reality is that he ends up being the good guy in this part of the story.

Smartassery was not the right tone for the Tyrion-Shae-Sansa scene.

I didn't find the scene had a smartass tone. I actually kind of liked the decision to cut away, since I think the average viewer would have a pretty decent idea of how the scene would play out: Sansa would be freaking out and trying not to cry, Shae would be furious but trying to keep a lid on it, and Tyrion would be awkward, chagrined and grim. We didn't need to see the scene to understand Sansa's devastation: the wordless shot of Sansa in tears watching her only shot at escaping King's Landing sail into the sunset was all that was needed.

To be fair, though, while I personally appreciated the approach the writers took, I saw a lot of comments after the episode wondering what exactly was awkward. They didn't seem to understand that Tyrion was breaking the news of his engagement to Sansa.

He has a choice to marry her or let her be married to another relation.

In the books, yes, but not in the show. In the show, there is no alternative floated at any point. The TV writing indicates that Tyrion is the only husband Tywin will accept for Sansa, and that he has as little choice as Cersei does in marrying Loras. Tyrion asks if there's any way out of the arrangement and Cersei's suggestion is having both Sansa and Loras killed. She's joking (I hope?), but the implication is that both Lannister siblings believe that death is the only way out of their engagements.

Edited by Newstar

Does anyone else who didn't like Ros feel responsible for killing her because I sure do?

I've disliked her and agreed with all of the complaints about her taking up screen time, but she didn't deserve to go out like that. I guess Joff really couldn't catch the bunnies so he had to tie up a whore to practice with his crossbow.

I can't understand what they are doing to Tormund. He's one of my favorite characters in the book, but I guess since the entire raiding party sans Tormund, Orell, Jon and Ygritte fell off the Wall and died, Tormund will be able to escape during the battle so he can have his later plot with Jon.

I'm really loving all of the scenes with Jamie and Brienne. They steal the show for me.

I didn't like Edmure at first, but he was hilarious in this episode wanting to pick his own Frey and the Blackfish is awesome. I've warned my husband about the Red Wedding but didn't tell him whose wedding it was and now he completely figured it out with Edmure's pending nuptials.

I wanted to kick someone when Mel kidnapped Gendry. That just felt completely wrong, and I hope Gendry doesn't have any purpose to serve with the BWB in the books because how could they possibly explain him going back now. I was just waiting for Arya to tell him she would come for him or something, but she didn't. He did abandon her and all, but I was hoping she'd fight for him a little more. I never hated Mel in the books but the show really, really makes me hate her. If only Arya could have just stabbed her there...

Also when I see Joffrey with a crossbow on the

show I think of Jaime's line in the books about

the crossbow being a cowards weapon.

I didn't like the character of Ros. She was just there

to provide obligatory HBO nudity. But I think how they

killed her off was cheap, cynical and sensationalistic.

Joffrey is a psychopath. Big news!

Ros finally dead about time

i liked LF+chaos thing

i thought jon and ygritte would be atleast a little pissed at orell since he cut of the rope but no -.-

i like Olenna i wish she would have won against tywin it wouldve made her awesomer

sansa has a shitty day whats new

oh they replaced edric storm with gendry

certainly not one of the best episodes of the season

:agree:

Seem like we just get one of our first spoilers for books 6/7 with Mel's line to Arya that they'll meet again, right?

THe only book spoilers from the TV show are that Osha will be getting more action than GRRM originally planned.

He has a choice to marry her or let her be married to another relation. The benefits of the marriage clearly weigh in favor of him accepting it. But none of those benefits exist without a consummation which he decides against that. I agree that the show tends to whitewash Tryion, but the reality is that he ends up being the good guy in this part of the story.

He ends up being a decent human being, agreeing to not have sex with an unwilling frightened abused young girl doesn't make one a good guy only not a monster.

For the seemingly vast majority of people who think Tyrion won't kill Shae anymore.

Well done D&D, you've successfully fooled the book readers.

Getting that impression too.

FWIW, I think a lot of book readers here forget that Tyrion's storyline does kind of undergo a gradual descent - in the books, he really is on the lighter side of the anti-hero scale fairly early on. He gets a bit darker post-Blackwater, and I think we've already started to see a bit of that this season.

I'm really loving all of the scenes with Jamie and Brienne. They steal the show for me.

I didn't like Edmure at first, but he was hilarious in this episode wanting to pick his own Frey and the Blackfish is awesome. I've warned my husband about the Red Wedding but didn't tell him whose wedding it was and now he completely figured it out with Edmure's pending nuptials.

Who ever is playing Edmure is doing great - I have completely replaced my book brain Edmure with him.

I liked them making Brienne beautiful. A deviation from the books that worked.

Really liked the episode, overall -- not better than the previous two, but lots of cool moments.

Though we never see it in the books, I loved Thoros and Mel interacting. There's such a mystique surrounding the Red God, and the books always keep Red priests fairly isolated. It was very intriguing to see two authorities of the Red God conversing. Mel always seems to be in positions of power when see her in the books. With Thoros, I loved seeing someone talk down to her. It's as if he knows what she's about and he isn't impressed. And also, her awe at seeing how he brought Beric back so many times. Really enjoyed that.

I just really enjoy Thoros in general. Whenever I feel as if the show has done something really great with a character I never really felt one way or the other for, it motivates me to do re-reads. I'd love to read Thoros with the show's interpretation in mind.

Sansa/Loras and Olenna/Tywin were comedic gold in this episode. What is brocade, anyway? From now on, it's going to be code word when referring to someone as gay.

Poor Bran. His arc has absolutely nothing happening, but the alternative is something akin to what we got with Dany last season. So, I'll take these uneventful peeks at his trek over a potential disaster of an invented arc.

It's been said before, but I loved how cinematic the entire Wall climb was. And the end of the episode? Cheesy as it was, it even felt like the end to a movie, with the grandiose view of the world beyond the Wall and the kiss. Given how things are going to go from here on out, I don't mind the show giving viewers a little bit of a happy ending to one of these episodes -- not anything anyone should get used to.

I fucking love how Ramsay is essentially Gollum. Casting gold. As much as people hate the looks into Theon's narrative this season, I don't mind it. Alfie gives a great fucking performance. He's really going to take us into all of the lows which Theon experiences. And, I just fucking love seeing Ramsay be Ramsay. I don't know if I should be admitting this, but I was giddy watching him tonight. I truly get off watching these characters brought to life on my screen. I didn't enjoy the torture, but I enjoyed the birth of Ramsay fucking Bolton. Hide your kids, hide your wife, Westeros.