[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

Good episode. Not as great as the last two, but that was expected, they can't just hammer the audience with payoffs all the time.

The Climb looked great albeit you could tell the CGI sometimes. The ending was kinda cheesy, but I guess it's the sort of thing people who went though such a harrowing experience would do. The ''glad-to-be-alive-with-you'' kiss, so to speak.

Tywin and Olenna was great. Charles Dance nails the role oh so much, and more japes from QoT is always welcome (sword swallower had me roaring with laugher).

Theon and Ramsay. Just... Jeez. I wasn't certain Ramsay's actor could pull it off at first. Well, objection completely withdrawn, this guy is an amazing actor. Best scene of this episode.

I loved Thoros and Meli's interactions. Then again, I guess I could enjoy a Meli-anything interation, her actress is so damn hot, pun very much intended. Gendry's trading was a bit abrupt, I expected him to resist more. Or for Arya to do more than just protest. Interesting prophecy too.

Littlefinger finally reveals himself as the evil, creepy fuck he is. That scene nearly gave me chills, only thing I didn't like was Varys looking slightly clueless. I didn't hate Ros, but I see why they decided to kill her, she had made her time. Plus gotta remind everyone of Joffrey. Can't let the people forget my namesake kills people for shit and giggles.

What was up with Bran and co.'s scene? This didn't seem to have much of a purpose. Albeit it really looks like Rickon is also in for the long haul this time around.

Roose's actor nails his part completely. Exactly how I imagine the Lord of the Dreadfort to be, he only lacks the leeches. The scene was a bit too short IMO.

Poor Sansa. Enough said.

Unlike other people, I very much think Tyrion will kill this Shae. It was very obvious something was fishy in the books, she just didn't care about Tyrion and it showed. Them being more subtle will make her betrayal more of a shock, both to Tyrion and the audience. I'm 100% positive she will still get the golden chain treatment. D&D have even us book readers fooled, so props to them.

Next week is GRRM's episode. Cannot wait for it.

EDIT: Oh, and the Frey-Stark council was nice too. Poor Edmure, getting backed into a corner and shat on by his uncle because of Robb's own monumental stupidity. I would have liked him to point out that it's the King's own damn fault they are losing the war, no one else's.

Edited by Jasta11

that whole idea for a resolved sansa/littlefinger plot thread (Ros for Dontos) is destroyed. Ah, whatever, Ros is dead. Huzzah, but not huzzah, cause that was pretty messed up.

seriously, though, we should have brackets for how they're going to adapt the books from here on out.

a quiet, slow build of an episode(reminded me tonally of Two Towers or something). No beginning, no end, just a couple good scenes, a bit much torture, and a mean old closing monologue.

This is just a theory and perhaps a poor one. But could we have a situation where Shae helps Sansa escape after PW. Presumably this would be her following Ros's last words to her to look out for Sansa and Shae figuring LF is now her last option and she takes Dontos place? It would allow the writers to recreate a book scene without new characters and leave Tyrion and Tywin to have more dialogue in their final scene right?

I spent way too much time thinking about the implications of the Arya, Melisandre, and Thoros scenes for The Winds of Winter and beyond. If Melisandre ever ends up reviving Jon Snow, the scenes in this episode will serve as the explanation for television viewers in regard to where she got the idea. In fact, perhaps Gendry taking the Edric Storm role was only the secondary purpose for having Melisandre visit the Brotherhood Without Banners.

I can barely recognize the show anymore. Jon climbs the wall and Jaime/Brienne eat with Roose. Ignoring deviating dialogue, these are the only things I recall that actually happened in ASOS.

That, and Sam singing. But this is almost certainly the episode with the fewest direct call backs to the books.

LF was spectacular and chilling this episode. The monologue was so compelling, but almost hard to listen to, disturbed by the music and images of dead Ros.

I don't know, I don't really buy Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger. Maybe because I expect him to sound like Tommy Carcetti. Oddly enough, tonight I kept thinking that Alexis Denisoff would have been a better choice. Ironic since the latter is actually from the Baltimore area, but I found his accent as Wesley let grating than Littlefingers'.

Did jof kill ros for pleasure or politics?

Pleasure, he has no idea what's going on,

In season 1, Littlefinger warns Ros that if she becomes a "bad investment" he'll give her over to a "new client" hinted to be some kind of deranged serial killer. I guess that client was Joffrey.

I don't know, I don't really buy Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger. Maybe because I expect him to sound like Tommy Carcetti. Oddly enough, tonight I kept thinking that Alexis Denisoff would have been a better choice. Ironic since the latter is actually from the Baltimore area, but I found his accent as Wesley let grating than Littlefingers'.

And here I am having a horrible time trying to imagine Wesley as Littlefinger. Must be the kind of thing I'd actually have to see to "get."

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Ok, can someone please explain to me why Sansa was crying at the sight of Littlefinger's ship sailing away?

The Ship wasn't sailing away, as we know Little Finger will bring Sansa with her. She was out looking at the ship because Littlefinger gave her a chance to come with him in the previous episode, and Sansa declined. She was crying looking at the ship because it was her last hope out of Kingslanding that is now gone as she's betrothed to Tyrion.

I have to admit, while I can understand why they jettisoned the Edric plot in favor of making Gendry the sacrificial lamb, it STILL bummed me out--imagine Thoros and Berric behaving that way in the books! Puh-leaze. Now I guess Arya will stand in for Davos in rescuing him...I also really don't understand why they insisted of making an example of poor Ros....I mean, we already know Littlefinger is slimy, devious and coldhearted, so why stuff a very likeable* character full of quarrels to prove a point that was NEVER IN THE BOOKS? Altogether, a very frustrating episode!

*At least, I liked her. I like whores, and she was smart and ambitious--all she wanted was a better life, like every other commoner in the story.

Edited by Alysanne360

On the plus side--Jon now has an excellent reason to kill Orell, Sam and Gilly's scene was brilliant--menacing and heartwarming at the same time--and the interplay between Jamie, Brienne and Bolton was spot-on. And Theon and Ramsay? Brilliantly twisted. I like how we realy see both Jamie and Theon, these characters who start out arrogant and detestable, change drastically into sympathetic and all too human--though of course, poor Theon is gpoing to have it much worse than the Kingslayer.

I wish we could've gotten a scene at night North of the Wall with the wildlings. I understand how hard it would be to film in Iceland at night (seriously that cold), but it would've been awesome to get a sense of dread and urgency to their mission to reach the Wall. They could maybe had written a new scene where Jon/Mance/Tormund talk about the Others in his command tent at night. It could be tense, I guarantee you viewers would think the camp was about to be attacked.

I don't know, I would've liked it.

Had a thought for how we might potentially get Arya's Crossroads Inn scene into the series after this episode, thinking about the whole setup with Mel hinting she'll kill three people (the three sets of different colored eyes). In the books, we know that that Arya kills three people between this point and the end of ADwD: The Tickler, Dareon (who also go a name drop in this episode), and the moneylender. However, the Tickler's already dead, and the other character who gets killed at the Crossroads Inn (by the Hound) is Polliver, who is yet to appear in the show.

However, we don't really have any role for the Mountain during the Red Wedding for the show (in fact, has he even appeared yet this season? I don't believe he has). In the books, he's feigning a pursuit of Roose Bolton, and supposedly catches him by surprise as he's crossing the Ruby Ford. This turns out to be a ploy to remove some Stark Loyalists from play prior to the RW and spare some Bolton supporters from having to attend the massacre though. When the Mountain arrives at the Ford, the only men yet to cross are a small rear guard of Manderly Knights along with some Lockes, Norreys, and Burleys, who are Stark-loyal mountain clansmen. Roose then leaves behind Ryswell, Cerwyn, Hornwood, and Barrowtown men to guard the far side of the ford, supposedly to prevent the Mountain from crossing, but really because these are factions that would later support him when he's granted the North.

None of this is going to happen in the show. That leaves the Mountain free to potentially show up at the RW, perhaps in a confrontation with Sandor and Arya. Maybe Arya will see one of the Mountain's Men kill someone (or something, Grey Wind anyone?). After some family drama between the Cleganes, the chaos will allow the Hound to escape with Arya, but Arya's got a new Mountain Man added to her hit list (Polliver perhaps?), someone they can then run into at the Crossroads Inn in season 4.....

Edited by Meddler

What a disappointment.

The season was becoming so strong.

And now this. useless scenes in the beginning then the deviations. the cheesy ending.

Of course some good scenes...but I can't enjoy them at the moment.

Well maybe I have to rewatch. Maybe I'm missing some hours of sleep.

(And i found the last episodes were good - the last one even great - I'm not the highlord of nitpicking)

The Ship wasn't sailing away, as we know Little Finger will bring Sansa with her. She was out looking at the ship because Littlefinger gave her a chance to come with him in the previous episode, and Sansa declined. She was crying looking at the ship because it was her last hope out of Kingslanding that is now gone as she's betrothed to Tyrion.

LF still has to marry Lysa, and he can always come back to pick her up.