[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

I totally took that scene as a reminder that he has the dragon-glass dagger and a foreshadow that he will indeed use it. I was only hoping it would be then and there, instead of the conversation over the fire and the singing.

I was waiting for it as soon as I saw him pull it out and they kept doing camera angles from the woods, lol. I think its gotta happen now that they showed it.

What if Melisandre takes Gendry as a source of her "children"? Stannis has grown too weak, it was said, to give her another son. What if she intends to use Gendry as a younger father for the shadows, supplying her with more assassins than Stannis can? Yay crackpot!

Based on that scene where Melisandre leaves Stannis to get Gendry, I would say this is certainly plausible.

It really changes the whole dynamic with the Tyrells having Loras as the sole heir. Most things on the show they seemed to have simplified and streamlined. Loras could be a very complicated single entity.

I agree. Here's my comment from last page:

"I can't help but feel like HBO has dug themselves a hole in regards to Loras being the only Tyrell son. By not including at least one of Garlan or Willas, High Garden will be left without an heir once Loras becomes Kingsguard, which he will. Having even the slightest possibility that Highgarden will be left without a male heir seems non sensical for a family like the Tyrells who are seemingly extremely careful and thoroughly plan all of their decisions. They would undoubtedly have more sons instead of just the one.

Also, how is it going to work when in book 5 Loras is up at Dragonstone and Garlan is off in the Reach defending Highgarden from the Greyjoys?"

So since Sam randomly broke out his buried treasure dragon glass dagger to show us and Gilly, we should be getting Sam the Slayer soon, right?

Yeah it was HBO reminding us he found these things in S02 and it is still of some importance. They even go as far as to ask what it does, Sam saying he's not sure it does anything. But we know what it does, yes we do.

This show is falling of the wall.

As I said on other thread (sorry for repeating myself) - Is this show still based on ASOIAF books ?

Last year we had meaningless sex scenes instead a material from the books.

This year we have meaningless torture scenes that are not in the books instead a material from the books.

Where the frak, was Danerys ?

This show is falling of the wall.

As I said on other thread (sorry for repeating myself) - Is this show still based on ASOIAF books ?

Last year we had meaningless sex scenes instead a material from the books.

This year we have meaningless torture scenes that are not in the books instead a material from the books.

Where the frak, was Danerys ?

I find this incredibly funny that you're complaining of not seeing Dany for one week whereas people who read the books waited 10 FUCKING YEARS to read a Dany chapter because George skipped her for an entire book.

Keep in mind that Dany only basically has to capture 2 cities, and then she's done with book events until the events of ADWD. Thus if the writers want to keep her relevant, they really need to take their time.

Anyway the changes to the show really aren't bothering me, though I think the Theon-Ramsay stuff, while amusing it is at the moment, is ultimately pointless. It was more powerful seeing what Theon had been reduced to in ADWD immediately then a slow process.

I find the show great, and am interested as an avid book reader to see new material that has GRRM's blessing. Personally, I agree with the decision to substitute Edric with Gendry (who was always more well-established) and have Melisandre and Arya meet. I wish that scene was in the books.

Edited by HouseHarrison

Keep in mind that Dany only basically has to capture 2 cities, and then she's done with book events until the events of ADWD. Thus if the writers want to keep her relevant, they really need to take their time.

Anyway the changes to the show really aren't bothering me, though I think the Theon-Ramsay stuff, while amusing it is at the moment, is ultimately pointless. It was more powerful seeing what Theon had been reduced to in ADWD immediately then a slow process.

I find the show great, and am interested as an avid book reader to see new material that has GRRM's blessing. Personally, I agree with the decision to substitute Edric with Gendry (who was always more well-established) and have Melisandre and Arya meet. I wish that scene was in the books.

They aren't going to show Theon getting tortured every episode for the next 2 seasons so when we meet him again and he's broken, we know how and why it happened and can then sort of piece together what happened in between, since we don't have access to all of Theon's thoughts like we do in the books.

I find this incredibly funny that you're complaining of not seeing Dany for one week whereas people who read the books waited 10 FUCKING YEARS to read a Dany chapter because George skipped her for an entire book.

You read the books ? Amazing. Well so have I. What I find not funny at all is seeing Theon in every episode while he is not in the book.

I

The ending was unintentional comedy gold for me. It looked so much in every respect like the ending of the corniest kind of romantic Hollywood movies it just really made me laugh.

That scene didn't really do much for me. I'm not really feeling jon's storyline right now which is the opposite of how it was in the books.

The ending was unintentional comedy gold for me. It looked so much in every respect like the ending of the corniest kind of romantic Hollywood movies it just really made me laugh.

I felt like I was watching Titanic at that point, but it wasn't too bad. It's one of the few times the show ended on some kind of high note. We all know how that romance turns out anyway...

I'm starting to really like ShowAnguy. It's a shame, because I think its almost a certainty that the Hound is going to kill him :(

You could be right. This band is still operating as far as we know in the books still though. We know Beric or UnBeric or whatever doesn't last. That leaves you Thoros and ... It would be nice if they could keep at least two of the band together for Lady Stoneheart.

Yes Gendry taking on Edric's role from the book is the popular consensus which I also agree with. I mean after that particular story line is concluded, what will happen? Will he return to being Gendry, or will he remain Edric and be shipped to Essos? I am thinking that DnD's knowledge of yet unrevealed events may give us an idea what to expect from Gendry in the upcoming books, and possibly his level of importance in the story.

I actually think it's the opposite. I think it's a hint as to Edric's potential importance in later books. It definitely seemed as though Gendry felt betrayed by the Brotherhood, it's hard to see him winding up back there. But if he just takes over Edric's story from here, it seems if anything it's a hint that Edric could be important down the road, since they're killing off the Gendry storyline in favor of the Edric one.

You read the books ? Amazing. Well so have I. What I find not funny at all is seeing Theon in every episode while he is not in the book.

Did you read them after they all came out recently? Because your complaint about not seeing one character for one episode is silly when simultaneously complaining that they are deviating too much.

Theon needs to have his torture at least introduced to the audience for the sake of television. It does not work like it does when reading a book.

I actually think it's the opposite. I think it's a hint as to Edric's potential importance in later books. It definitely seemed as though Gendry felt betrayed by the Brotherhood, it's hard to see him winding up back there. But if he just takes over Edric's story from here, it seems if anything it's a hint that Edric could be important down the road, since they're killing off the Gendry storyline in favor of the Edric one.

I think I'm with ckal. I think Gendry is the one that still has a massive role. Who knows though really? Doesn't Gendry show up out at Crackclaw anyway? That's one of the easiest places to sail to from Dragonstone. Edited by Arbor Gold I'm Sold