[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

You are the one who is showing the ignorance. It's a stereotypes that all men are promiscuous. So no matter which slice of men you decide to cut out, they are still going to have the stereotype of being promiscuous. Gay, Straight, blue-eyed, browned eyed, tall, or short, all men will have that stereotype. It's should be no less offensive to call a gay man promiscuous then it is to call a straight man promiscuous. In other words, being gay doesn't make you any less of a man, therefore you will be hit with the same stereotypes as a man.

No you don't understand, see gay people are an oppressed minority, so they can't be presented in any media in a way that someone somewhere might think has any relation to any percieved stereotypes.

I haven't read the thread yet but has anyone pointed out that Ros death at the hand of Joffrey gives Cersei Tyrion's motive for the PW. That seems like a pretty big deal.

Very good point, but what's she gonna say, "Tyrion mudered my son because Joffrey brutally slaughtered/murdered Tyrion's whore?" Then again Tywin might not mind, with all the "hanging whores" death threats and all lol.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Not happy with how Rob is being made out. He looks completely desperate and nobody believes he will be able to take the rock. While Unsullied loved Rob in the last two seasons, I can see them being turned off him during this season. The RW will not leave the viewers in as upset and shocked mood as the readers were.

I really don't want to offend you in any way, Patrick. I know this is a very delicate topic, and I am no gay man, so I cannot fully understand what it means to be bashed only for being true to one's identity.

I'll just tell you that a very close relative of mine is gay. He was offended as you are now by the fact that Loras rided a mare. He said "What, gay men are too weak to mount stallions?". Now, of course it was a plot device. But, like it or not, it's the same thing as him having sex with that lad. A plot device. You may think it's a stupid one, yet it still is one. And I know many book readers who call Loras "the gay knight".

But of course, this is just my point of view.

*rode

Honestly riding a stallion is the worst choice. Mares and geldings are both more stable and reliable. Stallions create a lot of noise because they are driven by their testosterone instincts. Ever heard one trumpet? Sure to give away your position if you're hiding somewhere. Not a good warfare tactic.

*rode

Honestly riding a stallion is the worst choice. Mares and geldings are both more stable and reliable. Stallions create a lot of noise because they are driven by their testosterone instincts. Ever heard one trumpet? Sure to give away your position if you're hiding somewhere. Not a good warfare tactic.

Ha! Things slip my mind when I'm too busy writing a structured concept.

Anyway, my relative and I were talking about the scene at the Hand's tourney!

Edited by The Mondrian Oak

I'll just tell you that a very close relative of mine is gay. He was offended as you are now by the fact that Loras rided a mare. He said "What, gay men are too weak to mount stallions?".

Loras rides stallions elsewhere

Now, of course it was a plot device. But, like it or not, it's the same thing as him having sex with that lad. A plot device. You may think it's a stupid one, yet it still is one.

The characterization intended by Loras at the Hand's tourney was that the was clever. They literally spell it out after he wins: the mare was in heat, Gregor Clegane uses brutish aggressive stallions, and that made the difference. Anyone who is stuck on "But... gay guy rides a mare!!!" is being obtuse.

The characterization that comes across on the show is that Loras Tyrell is totally over Renly Baratheon, and is also an idiot.

Which characterization diminishes the character more? I know, I know, oh oh oh.

Loras rides stallions elsewhere

The characterization intended by Loras at the Hand's tourney was that the was clever. They literally spell it out after he wins: the mare was in heat, Gregor Clegane uses brutish aggressive stallions, and that made the difference. Anyone who is stuck on "But... gay guy rides a mare!!!" is being obtuse.

The characterization that comes across on the show is that Loras Tyrell is totally over Renly Baratheon, and is also an idiot.

Which characterization diminishes the character more? I know, I know, oh oh oh.

I know too, ooh ooh ooh, and I don't agree with you, ou ou ou!

I know too, ooh ooh ooh, and I don't agree with you, ou ou ou!

Hahaha! I don't think show Loras is stupid at all, I don't get that. Sounds like sour grapes. Loras in the books was a dick and I didn't care one way or the other about him, I like him on the show. Hopefully we'll see more of him.

The ironborn not even in Robb's thoughts. Freeing the North completely out of the picture. Robb's giving up on the North so he can try and bring Tywin some pain is weak at best. Not too mention he has to march to the Twins so he can march on Casterly Rock(the other direction). They have completely stripped Rob of power going to the Twins. He is beaten before the RW. Robb is sunk if he lives. They really blew it on the changing of Robb storyline. Butchered!

Edited by Arbor Gold I'm Sold

Having re-watched the Loras-Sansa scene I think people are wrong about the gay stereotyping in this scene.

He is clearly bored talking about fashion to start with - really doean't want to talk about the brooch/pin.

He is obviously more interested in talking about fighting than fashion. His eyes light up briefly when he talks about there being tornaments at the wedding.

He only engages with Sansa about clothes when he realises he is being unintentionally rude/acting bored, and you can see he starts to feel a bit sorry for her decides to gee her up by talking to her about something she is interested in. I mean what else might they have in common? Sure lots of highborn men of any persuasion would have some knowledge of fine clothes.

And even then it's pretty much one line in one scene about sleeves.

Joffrey had a much longer scene discussing wedding clothes a few episodes back. As did Sansa this episode. So it's not like gay men and gay men only are discussing clothes.

I thought it was quite a touching scene. By the end of it they did seem to make a wistful connection of sorts.

The ironborn not even in Robb's thoughts. Freeing the North completely out of the picture. Robb's giving up on the North so he can try and bring Tywin some pain is weak at best. Not too mention he has to march to the Twins so he can march on Casterly Rock(the other direction).

Agreed. Taking Casterly Rock is a stupid strategic decision at this point. He's cut off from all support/reinforcements from home, and even if he takes Casterly Rock, he'll simply have given the Lannister/Tyrell alliance a locus at which they can mass and crush him, holed up in hostile territory.

Very good point, but what's she gonna say, "Tyrion mudered my son because Joffrey brutally slaughtered/murdered Tyrion's whore?" Then again Tywin might not mind, with all the "hanging whores" death threats and all lol.

If Tywin finds out about the Ros murder, it might trigger his little confrontation with Joffrey, where Joff gets sent to his room without supper. Not because Tywin cares about the whore, but because Joff is out of control.

I agree Cersei would take it as a motive for Tyrion's killing Joffrey later. You'll recall in a Littlefinger/Tyrion scene they made a point of Littlefinger saying "I know...I know" to Tyrion about the true nature of Tyrion's relationship to Ros and Cersei's misunderstanding of it. That plus the Penny & Grout show...bang! Tyrion's in the bag.

One of the things that the show has failed is showcase Robb's army. I've seen numerous show watchers get confused about it. "Where are the other northern lords?", "is Robb's army just Northmen?"

D&D keep using the simplicity excuse but I think it's pure laziness on their part.

D&D keep using the simplicity excuse but I think it's pure laziness on their part.

Yes, I can already picture them: "Hey Dan, we should really explain who's in the northen army." "Nah, I don't feel like it. Let's go get a suntan instead!" "All right!".

Come on.

Edited by The Mondrian Oak