[Book Spoilers] EP306 Discussion

Ran

Oh and, Theon. As uncomfortable I am with watching his scenes with Ramsay, I do think they are necessary for non-reader viewers. If they aren't shown what horrors he lives through during this time, they won't understand or sympathize with him later on. In the books we were able to understand Theon's journey through his thoughts, but that's not possible on screen. I couldn't actually watch, but was Ramsay flaying his finger at the end? I thought it looked like it. Another hint...

This is completely wrong. They can show the broken shell of a man Theon becomes and let the audience's imagination get to work. They don't need to show it. This cut to 5 minutes of Theon torture every episode is neither interesting or compelling.

This is completely wrong. They can show the broken shell of a man Theon becomes and let the audience's imagination get to work. They don't need to show it. This cut to 5 minutes of Theon torture every episode is neither interesting or compelling.

Yeah, well maybe you could visit George and tell him to speed up the writing process. Otherwise I forsee a lot of scenes that were just hinted at in the books for quite some time.

Yeah, well maybe you could visit George and tell him to speed up the writing process. Otherwise I forsee a lot of scenes that were just hinted at in the books for quite some time.

Uh, there are plenty of scenes that are in the books they cut. How about an Edric Dayne scene, how about a scene about the KOTLT, how about more scenes with Jon among the wildlings? They didn't show Theon's torture because they had nothing else to show, they chose it as more important than all the other scenes they cut.

They made the wall way too thin. Jon and Ygritte looked over the lip on the North side, turned around, walked across a little path, and were at the Southern edge. Aren't there supposed to be tunnels and passages through the ice? 700 hundred feet tall and 12 feet wide: you'd expect it to be swaying back and forth. The wildlings could have just dug right through it.

The climb up the wall was thrilling though. As an action sequence, it was more successful than you normally see in a television show.

I kind of wish we didn't know about Sansa and Tyrion's wedding, like in the books, b/c it was such a shock. Or at least that Sansa didn't know about it. They could've juxtaposed it with the RW--- two surprises (although one obviously worse).

I'm curious to see how Tyrion and Shae will end u. I don't think TV Tyrion would kill her but that's because TV-Shae is so different from book-Shae already. Maybe she won't even testify against him. She is definitely being portrayed as more sympathetic (being Sansa's bff for example) and I kind of liked that the book-Shae was just a simpering whore after all. Plus the reveal with her & Tywin was soooo good and I think it may not happen in the show.

Yeah, but they are still leaving themselves the opening of Cersei actually being the one who sent the orders, the same as with the killing of the bastards. In both scenes Cersei just remains silent and Tyrion reads it as her saying Joffrey did it. But in neither case does Cersei actually deny doing it.

Also can we stop with the "French sleeves"? He said "Fringe sleeves".

Edited by The Scabbard Of the Morning

I can't be the only one annoyed at the whitewashing of Cersei. In season 1 it was a nice touch, by now it's becoming very irksome.

i couldn't agree more. is there any doubt in the books that Cersei wanted to have Tyrion killed? if not...

and it's not just that. from season 2 they are having Tyrion and Cersei talk to each other like they like each other, like they can tell anything between them. they should show more how disgusting they found one another

Enjoyable episode. Thoros and the Brotherhood is always fun to watch. Tywin and QoT back and forth was great. Entertaining for the tv only audience, but man, sometimes I feel like this is a totally different story. I guess, in a sense, it is. Does anyone else get the feeling that the writers of the show are trying to write a different story to make a point or something? I get deviations for reasons such as time constraints, tv flow, ease of understanding, and stuff like that. It seems that sometimes, like in this episode, the tale is derailed just to make it "not the book".

Yeah, but Dany is supposed to be 14 and she looks 20. I got the impression age wasn't a factor in the show. As long as he doesn't grow a long beard and get wrinkles he'll be fine no matter how long the show lasts.

I wasn't complaining about the age whatsoever. I was just stating that I found it kind of funny how obvious it is that the actor that plays Bran's voice deepened alot in between season 2&3 which is an obvious sign of growth in his stages of puberty. I think the actor that plays Bran is perfect, I wasn't complaining about his age in the slightest.

You know what's the best part about Ros dying.

I'll never have to again see another "Ros as fake Arya" post on these boards. The theory is beyond absurd and every time I saw another person back it I lost a little bit of confidence in humanity as a species. This will go a long ways to restore my faith in humanity. (Until I start seeing Talisa as fake Arya theories)

Right after Mel describes the eyes she sees in the darkness, she says Arya will shut those eyes forever. Sounds to me like she's saying Arya will kill the owners of those eyes.

No I think this is a reference to Arya going "blind" during her training to become a FM.

I will be too. I'm thinking that instead of Tywin taking Shae into his bed, he'll have her killed, which will give Tyrion another reason to shoot him.

That would be a terrible adaptation from the books because Tyrion discovering Shae's betrayal, strangling her, followed by shooting a quarrel into Tywin's belly, are all extremely important as a character arc for Tyrion, as he leaves Westeros and goes to Essos. (But like the analysis on the Westeros.com episode guide says, Tyrion is being made to look like a really good guy on the show, which is not the case in the books)

I can't be the only one annoyed at the whitewashing of Cersei. In season 1 it was a nice touch, by now it's becoming very irksome.

I agree, Are they going to let Cersei do anything on her own, or is Joffrey and Tywin going to do everything? Cersei and Catelyn are the biggest changes fro the books for me.

I'm glad Ros died, for the simple fact that now I don't have to see nearly as many posts from ppl bashing her and complaining about how much they hate her. I personally liked Ros's character, but at the same time I'm relieved they finally put her out of her misery because the absurd amount of hate the woman recieved was beginning to become extremely tiresome in the most annoying kind of way.

Edited by Jon Icefyre

Yeah, the some of the Ros scenes annoyed me to no end, but she really didn't deserve that. She had actually started to grow on me this season.

I totally agree. I felt her role this season was serving forward movement for the plot and her death this way feels like it diminishes Varys' abilities.

I agree, Are they going to let Cersei do anything on her own, or is Joffrey and Tywin going to do everything? Cersei and Catelyn are the biggest changes fro the books for me.

More like they just shat all over cats character from one of the strongest, smart POV characters to the lamp in the background when ever they show robb.