How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

My first 10 of the season. Because finally it's slower, they've allowed scenes and stories to breathe, and it doesn't feel they're rushing through the plot. Which is how the last episode felt to me. I feel like this was the most understandable episode of the season for causal fans. I think it was so much better written than the last episode.

I feel like it's the first time they've done Jon's story justice this season. Mostly because they actually spent time on him. With Theon, they've finally told the audience that no, they're not supposed to know who's torturing Theon or what's going on and the torture is becoming just as brutal as it was in the books. Olenna/Tywin and Varys/Littlefinger were two scenes with awesome awesome dialogue that I loved all the more because I wasn't expecting it. The entire climb and the beautiful shot at the end were some of the most atmospheric scenes in the series. Oh and Ros is dead! How could anyone give it less than a 9?

This season is beginning to unravel, I fear.

Getting tired of Ygritte's bravado. Felt shortchanged by the brief Sam and Gilly scene and shortchanged by the brief Bran scene. The Sansa/Loras scene was entirely unnecessary, IMO.

QOT and Tywin was pretty good, especially when she broke his quill. Hated what happened to Ros. Liked the scene with Tyrion and Cercei. The Theon/Ramsay scene was well played, but I still think it's being included at the expense of other solid story lines (Bran and company, Sam/Gilly -- I can't wait for Coldhands , and I really hope we're not going to get cheated out of him).

Roose scene was weak. Frey scene was OK -- loved the appearance of the Frey boys. View down from the Wall was terrific.

Hated the whole Melisandre bit, hated that Beric and Thoros handed Gendry over to her men. I'm no longer a fan of the BWB...they're not a brotherhood, after all.

Gave it a 7.

Edited by Not Only But Also

I give it about a 7.5, but will round up to an 8. Certainly not the best of the season by a long shot; I'd put it on par with the season premiere, and definitely better than episode 2.

Liked

--Queen of Thorns and Tywin. Good little scene, and I laughed at the sword swallower line

--Melisandre and the Brotherhood--contrived yes, but I thought the interactions worked. I didn't particulary like to see the BwB handover Gendry like that, but I think it happened that way to

set up Arya running away from them

--Jon Snow--first time he got a considerable amount of screen time, and it worked. Liked the ending long shot and his chemistry with Ygritte.

Meh

--Jaime, Brienne and Bolton. I was really looking forward to this scene, and it just sort of fell flat. Not bad, but cut really short. I imagine they're

trying not show Roose as cruel and backstabbing as he is in the books so as not to give away his betrayal, which makes sense. However, his betrayal may not have been built up enough when it does happen and catch people too off guard.

--Theon. Not bad, but scene ran too long and until it's revealed who this torturer is, just seems to be going nowhere.

Personally, the only thing that really ruined the episode for me was Loras' scenes. Especially that horrible scene with Sansa in the garden. Sophie Turner deserves a better actor to play off of.

Oh please. Sophie Turner is by no means the best actress on this show. I wouldn't even go so far as to call her good.

No way in all the worlds is it in Arya's character to see her friend taken away against his will by some stupid cow and do nothing.

??? Yeah, she would. And already did, in S2, when Gendry was taken for torture (right before Tywin shows up).

Arya couldn't do anything in that situation. She was surrounded by men three times her size who would stop her. And she tried to stop them, but didn't get suicidal about it.

8/10 good episode my only issue with every episode this season this how much little time is being given to robb n cat side especially as we get closer to seasons end. Of course always love varys/LF scenes, LF giving Ros to his Lil friends I feel conflicted on one hand no more pointless ros scenes on the other that Lil fucker needs some smack down soon.

I gave it a 6. Worst episode this season by far.

The worst scenes:

Tyrion and Sansa. When Sansa was trying on her dress, I was hoping someone would drape a Lannister cloak around her and she'd be wed to Tyrion on the spot. Instead, Tyrion stops by and tells her, right in front of Shae. No wonder they cut to the next scene, they couldn't figure out what Tyrion could say in this ass-backward situation.

Ser Loras and Sansa. This scene was pointless. Loras is gay. We get it. He doesn't need to be talking up his favorite broach and describing his little-girl fantasy wedding. In the same episode, the writers seem to take a stand for gay rights with the stuff Olenna says and then they portray the only prominent homosexual character as a borderline offensive stereotype. And what's with him describing an ideal wedding dress with "French Sleeves"? There is no fucking FRANCE in this universe, it's really sloppy writing.

The best scenes:

Flaying at the Dreadfort.

Ros shot up with crossbow quarrels. Why the fuck was she even a character?

??? Yeah, she would. And already did, in S2, when Gendry was taken for torture (right before Tywin shows up).

Arya couldn't do anything in that situation. She was surrounded by men three times her size who would stop her. And she tried to stop them, but didn't get suicidal about it.

In S2 she was a captive peasant, made to witness the torture done by the men who held her. And Gendry was someone she barely knew.

In S3 she is a highborn to be ransomed for a high price by men who praise her father and give trials to the likes of the Hound. And Gendry is supposed to be "her family".

Really good. My non reader friend is not diggin the slow story lines but I am eating every spoonful they are giving me. I keep telling her to judge it once she has seen the payoff. It won't be long....

8/10

Really good. My non reader friend is not diggin the slow story lines but I am eating every spoonful they are giving me. I keep telling her to judge it once she has seen the payoff. It won't be long....

8/10

Alright, scene by scene (as I remember)

-Sam/Gilly stuff was great. It was good depth for the characters, and I loved them talking about Sam's background. I also thought that there was a very tense feel to the scene, with the whole woods around them. The fact that Rast and the White Walkers are out there made it great, I didn't know what to expect (having read the books as well). My one non-reader friend thought Sam was gonna die there.

-Bran/Osha/Meera was ok, but these scenes aren't doing much for me. They just feel useless at this point, which is frustrating since Bran's arc is vital to the North/Whitewalkers in the book.

-Wall climbing was well done, I thought. The Jon/Ygritte scene early on was a good way to develop that relationship, and I loved seeing Tormund acting a little more har-like. The climb itself was cool, the context of Orell trying to cut their rope was relatively justifiable but still tense, and that last shot of the North was magnificent.

-I liked Anguy/Arya's scene with the bow. Thoros is such a great character on the show, so well acted. The Valyrian exchange was neat. Gendry being kidnapped is a good example of an effective adaptation from novel-screen, but I thought the guy's acting was meh. Arya was great tonight though.

-Jaime/Brienne continue to run this season. Roose is being portrayed in such a subtly creepy way, I love it. Jaime trying to cut the food was hilarious, and the bond/chemistry between the two is great. Definitely their season thus far. However, I was disappointed that we didn't get "Give Robb Stark my regards", sets up my favorite line of the novels at the RW. Unless they moved it to next week.

-Theon/Ramsay was fucking brilliant. Iwan Rheon is nailing the utterly crazy/sadistic nature of Ramsay, and it's only the start of this torturous relationship. I know some people want the worst to happen to Theon, but it's gonna be hard for them down the stretch to not pity him. Great acting by Alfie.

-Sansa/Loras was perfectly awkward. I know their kind of stereotyping Loras as a gay man, but it's still only light-hearted. Olenna/Tywin was a fun exchange. I love the humor that Riggs brings to the QoT and how she nearly ruffled Tywin's jimmies. Good foreshadowing with the King's Guard. I think that after learning he is to marry Cersei, Loras will try and demand he join the KG. But that can't work because Tywin wants Highgarden. Or maybe Margaery can ask Joffrey to appoint Loras to spite Tywin, which will add further conflict between Joff/Tywin.

-Tyrion/Cersei's relationship is great on the show, and the scene with Shae/Sansa/Tyrion was well acted by Dinklage.

-The Varys/Littlefinger exchange was awesome if you can get over LF's speech impediment. The voiceover was odd, normally GoT doesn't do that, but it worked for Ros's death. I'm not upset by it, I understand it, and I get it. It was particularly brutal, but I like how it's still a reminder of how fucked up Joffrey is, even with Margaery starting to twirl him around her fingers.

Still, the editing was a little jumpy. I was still expecting a come down episode after the 3 kick ass weeks we've had before. There were no excellent scenes, but most everything was good.

For reference:

3x1: 8

3x2: 8

3x3: 9

3x4 9

3x5: 10

You missed it because it didn't happen. He says fringed. The show isn't stupid enough to reference France use your head.

I try to :ninja: But it somehow made me feel better (not even a little serious) about the episode. And I just had to try and fell better about it :D

Edited by A Free Shadow

Solid 7 for me - most issues I have were already mentioned.

I think what nailed it for me was Littlefingers monologue/voice-over.. the themes of that were very deep (as well as something I connect with).. he's very nihilistic in a sense. Even though this is written for the show it fits in with the general dynamic of why he's so interested in the Eyrie. Again at the end it jumps a bit but it worked well enough with the voice-over.

The One True King killing Ros wasn't my favorite but I'm glad she's in the dirt.