How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a 6.

Maybe the worst episode of the series for me. "Night Lands" is the only contender which comes close. There wasn't one stand out scene, and Benioff and Weiss really showed how weak they are as writers this episode. I'm sure George will come out next week and show them how it is done. They will be the death of the series. Two privileged morons who have nothing noteworthy to their name. Tragic they are in charge of this adaptation.

The death of Ros was ridiculous IMO. Joffrey being the one to do it? Come on.

7/10

The Wall climb was excellent, Ros's death was a shocker (because that's about the only thing that can shock us readers), Bolton, Jaime and Brienne scene was good, as was Ramsay's torture of Theon. The guy is very much more than a match for Joffrey in the psycho rankings.

The rest of the episode was kinda weak. Didn't like the Melisandre showing up and taking Gendry, not because it was far off from the books, but simply because the plot moved in a non-sensical way. Even Melisandre with her fires would not have been able to find the BWB.

Oh, and did Loras really say "French sleeves?" Cause if he did, that would definitely make it the worst line in the entire series.

Edited by Corvinus

Good episode, not great. But, as others have pointed out, necessary to set up the rest of the season. There were a few "bad cuts" where we didn't get to... I would have liked to see Tyrion break the news of his engagement to the Stark girl and the resulting awkwardness. I wish they'd just give them the freedom to run over 5 or 10 minutes when need be like HBO used to do with some other shows in the past.

6 this time....very disappointed at Sansa being told about her marriage to Tyrion...didnt like Jojen all of sudden having seizures or the Osha/Meera bickering :ack:

I DID like the Olenna and Tywin scene.

I eventually come to terms with the changes from the book...lol...but if they are going to make stuff up it should at least be good stuff!!

Did no one put 2 and 2 together to figure out that Edric was out and being replaced by Gendry. How the hell else would they get Gendry to Stannis and get that plot started.

Pretty sure Loras said fringe or fringed and not french, but god for bid we give the episode a 2/10 cause a minor character said fringe or french instead of myrish. The scene can be called weak for not taking the story anywhere, apart from showing once again that Sansa is clueless about him.

Looking forward to reading Ran/Linda's analysis etc, but I feel like you guys are hating the episode a bit too much.

I gave it a 7.

I thought the Theon scene was well acted, but honestly dont like the way it fits in this season. It ruins the pacing of the episode and the overall mood. I dont really care for it and I can see why GRRM kept it off page.

I LOVED the Thoros/Mel scene. Thoros' story was amazing and it was my favorite scene in this episode.

Robb's scene was well done. They are doing a great job of endearing the audience to the young wolf.

I again liked the acting between QoT and Tywin (two of the best actors in the series) however I didnt like the outcome. An opportunity there to move the plot back towards the books.

Jon/Ygr is overdone. Seems too sentimental for my taste. Overall still not happy with how the North is being done.

All in all it was an average episode. About the same as Ep 1 and 2 this season.

Yes, that was totally out of character. You would have done it how?

It is a cheap way of building up Joffrey and his "evulz". I never said it was completely out of character, it was just a petty move from the writers. One of the best things about ASOAF is the size of the world. Moves like this make the world seem much smaller, and that is a bad thing.

I don't know how I would have done it, but perhaps I would try to be more faithful to the books that this series is based on. And perhaps try to mimic the best and most faithful season (the first) without buying into my own hype and making "necessary" changes. Then again, I'm not the genius who penned "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", so I can't possibly dare to judge the masters.

Edited by UnCleos

I gave it a 4. Worst scenes of the season. Worst acting of the season. Worst directing of the season. I could almost envision where the masking tape crosses on the the floor showing where Maisie was supposed to stand when protesting Gendry's capture. The FX was unbelievable at the wall. That is not a good thing. I nearly shouted "Green Screen" and "Wow, that looks like the painting on my wall. Maybe its middle earth." The changes to the story line I'll tolerate, but again, they make Jon = wimp ignoramus, Ygritte = badass w/ people smart. The opposite of the books. I'm am now agreeing with PatrickStormborn on a lot of these forums. They are assassinating the character of Loras and making him a caricature of a gay guy. I'm not gay but this is pissing me off. Way to go progressive HBO. Can you be any more stereotypical? We'll find out next week. :thumbsdown:

Cons: - almost everything.

Pros - Robb storyline of all things. Crazy. I've been giving his story a consistent 7 this season, but that is the high point of this episode. Usually it is the low point.

Neutral - Sam

PS What was the green dream? and what about the fighting? maybe they are setting up the Osha Rickon breakoff?

ETA:

My ratings thus far:

EP1 = 8+

EP2 = 6

Ep3 = 9

Ep4 = 9+

Ep5 = 7

Ep6 = 4

Edited by Dread Pirate Dave

What did you think of the ending? Surprised nobody else reacted as strongly to it as I did. The way it zooms back out and shows both sides of the wall, with them in the middle (symbolically and all dat jazz) - my favourite ending in a while.

I thought that was very cheesy and unbecoming of GoT.

It was ok. Hard to top the last 2 eps. Gave it an 8

My only real complaint is that I feel like the writers some time just add a scene for a character who hasn't appeared for a few episodes just to remind us they are still there. The opening scene with sam could have been cut and also the scene with bran. Their plots aren't progressing at all so i just don't see the point of the scene, however i did enjoy the bickering between osha and meera.

I gave it a 10 but if revoting would give it a 9--reading through the thread reminded me of my least favorite parts :P Might be my favorite this season...

I loved:

Jaime/Brienne and Bolton

Tyrion and Cersei

Tywin and QoT

I liked

Theon/Ramsay-- really well done scene, I think Ramsay does a GREAT job, but I agree with Ser Farbod--it doesn't fit with the pacing. Personally, though, I will sacrifice pacing for some creepy Ramsay (and giving Alfie Allen a job :) )

Robb/Edmure/Freys--I thought it was really well done!

Varys/Littlefinger/Ros--I liked Littlefinger's speech (a little cheesy but also cool), and Ros' death was unexpected, so that was cool. I think Littlefinger and Varys play their parts very well, so I like seeing them conniving even if it's more subtle in the books.

Loras and Sansa--cute.

Jon and Ygritte--I like this Ygritte and I like most of their dialogue.

Meera and Osha--eh, why not. It was well done, even if unneccessary. And they used real skinning techniques with real rabbits! Yay for realism!!

Nope nope nope:

Tyrion and Sansa--WHY??? It was sooo wonderfully horrible when Sansa gets that shock in the books, and Sophie Turner does "Sansa in distress" very well IMO. Why do that? Why why? :bang:

The Wall Climb--I enjoyed this despite the fact that I don't think the ice was very realistic, and NO way in HELL could Jon Snow have held Ygritte after she fell that far. I don't even know what the directors were THINKING when they wrote in that silliness.

Melisandre and Gendry/Brotherhood/Arya--yeah, weird, I'd rather just forget about it. Arya's attempt to save Gendry was so pathetic.

Edited by a7neu

I gave a 6/10, the final scene was breathtaking, many had liked very much Tywin/Qot scene, even if it's a really good acting scene and the actors have my full respect of handling the characters, I found it totally unnecessary. What disturbs me is the unnecessary changes of the plot in the books. I am well aware that it's inevitable making changes in the adaptations, but he unnecessary ones are quite displeasing. There was no need to push Loras instead of Willas and please do not tell me about budget or etc. Willas was only mentioned in the books, none saw him, so there won't be a necessity to hire a new actor. What I believe is they just want to give more importance to the insignificant side-character Ser Loras. Maybe the (totally incapable and unconvincing) actors' agents pushed for more time and it's not fine by me. Ramsey Snow is brought brilliantly, compliments to great acting. The LF/Varys scenes are always great, the one we saw in the first season was instrumental just as the one in the climb, they are more revealing than anything about the real "game". Not a Ros hater, though always found her presence somewhat unimportant and she won't be missed dearly by me, but there is no need to invent stupid things like the manner of her death to drive people to hate more the Lannister bastard king. He is already hate-deserving. It was good to see Sansa's tears, she is one of the characters that I cannot stand. (no disrespect for the actress playing her, she is pretty and capable.) The Mel and BwB scenes are confusing, cannot decide what to think, so I'll pass any comment...

Edited by A Son of Ice and Fire

It was ok. Hard to top the last 2 eps. Gave it an 8

My only real complaint is that I feel like the writers some time just add a scene for a character who hasn't appeared for a few episodes just to remind us they are still there. The opening scene with sam could have been cut and also the scene with bran. Their plots aren't progressing at all so i just don't see the point of the scene, however i did enjoy the bickering between osha and meera.

:agree: Sam could have been put in the next scene episode or extended this one, presumably so he

can kill the Other/white walker

They should have edited it out Loras/Sansa words and just cut to Cersei watching them below. We didn't need to know what they were talking about.

Edited by Dread Pirate Dave