How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5-6, maybe.

This was a big step down from the previous episodes. For starters, why did they open with such an insubstantial scene? Why is there no sense of tension or fear beyond the Wall? Why is Sam sitting, grinning, being happy? Are there not bears and wolves prowling? White Walkers stalking the forest? Ex-brothers looking to silence him? Are they not in a freezing, hostile environment with a new born child?

I cringed during the Meera/Osha battle. This conflict feels quite forced. Bran's scenes are really dull, understandably that's more a problem with the content they have to work with.

The Wall climbing was a bit of a mixed bag. Some parts looked quite good, other parts looked obviously

green-screened. The final scene on the top was too sentimental, to overblown for me. . A quick, desperate embrace when they both reach the top would have been better. Of course, the whole relationship between Jon and Ygritte has been awkwardly handled. That exchange before they scale the wall, that's the sort of thing we needed before the cave scene. It feels misplaced to have them start bonding now.

I thought the writing in that Loras/Sansa scene was bizarre. It really feels like being gay is this guy's only character trait. I liked the scene with Roose, Jaime and Brienne. Those have, for the most part, been the season highlight, there's a great dynamic between them. Next episode should be great.

On a visual note, there was some really lovely lighting. Good contrasts.

I'm getting tired of the same redundant scenes. How many times can they go over the same information? What's Theon's storyline actually amounting to? Are we going to have another season of gratuitous torture every second episode.

It doesn't feel like the show is really moving forward. It doesn't feel like things are coming to ahead, at times it feels like not much has even happened. From such a huge, exciting, exhilarating book, that's a strange place to end up.

Really? For a lot of DwD the story stood still.

1. Well cant argue too much here because they just changed Loras' character too much. But i think you missed the point of Olenna's lines there. She basically says "Big fucking deal, Loras is gay. Highgarden doesnt give a shit and neither do i. You shouldnt either. Btw, Tywin, you arent one to talk what with incestuous kids."

2. Wut. That was to show that Littlefinger (and Joffrey) are assholes. It also adds more ambiguity to Varys due to his lack of reaction. He seems mildly shocked and annoyed that one of his birds got shot down. Oversexualized, my arse! Shes fully clothed! Its supposed to be chilling, not titillating in the least.

3.Omg lol. Sansa's very modest smallclothes are now "oversexualizing" the character. PS, you are a RIOT! That scene actually shows some of Sansa's strength where she holds her own against Shae's bleating and Tyrion's intrusion.

Also, if you havent caught Tyrion's self pity wallowing in the show yet, im not sure what to tell you. He seems rather irritatingly whiny to me. Like he should be.

4. Umm...Cat is underutilized, yes, but i hardly think this is about misogyny. Cat gets in a couple of zingers in Edmure's direction that proves shes brighter than he is. Sounds to me that you want to be offended by something that isnt there.

5. /shrug The Wall did it. :P

6. No. Its to establish Theon's "Reeking" while allowing the viewer to try to unravel the mystery of "Boy". Theon suspecting the Karstarks being responsible for that is interesting and fuels some of the Northern conflict fires.

7. How is that insulting? Due to the weirdness of Bran's storyline, i think they are trying to establish why Osha and Rickon split off.

8. :rolleyes: Oh yeah because the entire story is the Daenerys Show.

1. No, I did not miss the point of anyone's lines - I wasn't even referring to the Tywin/Olenna conversation. But Loras was turned into a bumbling idiot who couldn't even talk to a girl. That is ridiculously offensive. Believe it or not, gay men are more than capable of talking to women!!!! And wOW HE KNOWS STUFF ABOUT FASHION!!!! Gay men have married and had sex with women in the past and will continue to do so. Loras would not be any different - particularly if he was the heir to Highgarden. But the Tywin/Olenna conversastion was offensive too. Loras has been reduced to his sexuality - this cannot be denied anymore.

2. The audience is very well aware that LF and Joffrey are "assholes". And yes, she was over-sexualised; the scene is a textbook definition of "male gaze".

3. Was it necessary to show a 16 year old girl in her smallclothes? No. So I consider it oversexualising.

I think you're projecting Book!Tyrion onto Show!Tyrion. He's more whiny than in previous seasons, but he's basically a Good Guy. He's whitewashed to the extreme. Self-pitying is not exactly a deep character flaw.

4. Cat got one line. Edmure, Robb, the Blackfish and even the FREYS had more lines than her. And Catelyn is a POV character in the novels. I never used the word "misogyny" but now that you mention it... And no, I'm offended because my second favourite character has been butchered and sidelined in favour of less interesting male characters.

5. That's not a good enough answer. The raiding party is too small to risk attacking Castle Black.

6. It's gratuitous and serves no purpose. We don't need to see Theon's transformation into Reek (it was powerful in the books because we DIDN'T see it). That screentime could be given to other characters.

7. It's insulting that the only way they can provide a bit of drama for Bran's storyline is to create a rivalry between two female characters.

8. Maybe it should be. Hers and Jaime's scenes have been the only redeeming feature of this season. But that wasn't my point anyway. Why does Theon, a character who wasn't even in A Storm of Swords, get screentime when Daenerys doesn't? (It probably has something to do with Theon being D&D's favourite character...)

Question is now: will Melisandre be one of Aryas victims in the end? hmmm

It is highly unlikely.

Gave it a 6. Sansa being told she would wed Tyrion by Tyrion himself was so freaking anticlimatic... Why not have it as a surprise like the book, it would also give sophie a great chance to show her good acting skills once more. I was happy to see Tormund finally make some jokes at john. Hated Ros death.

I really regret reading the books before this season. I used to enjoy this series so much, but now I can't help myself from comparing it to the book... Sometimes I can't even watch a whole episode because I get bored.

I really don't know why people recomend reading before watching. I really don't.

I'm one of those people who recommend reading the books, so I'll give you my thought on this.

This happens because the bookreaders see much more flaws on the show than the non-reader, so we recommend the book, which is more more detailed and complex. Yes, you start to get a little disappointed with the show, but on the other hand you have (most of the times) a better version of the story.

Essentially, we expect you to enjoy the book more than you enjoy the show. And so, you will also bare the curse of seeing the flaws on the show.

It was... ok.

I don't know, the Theon scene was quite disturbing. Sometimes HBO gets too carried away with violence. Also the poor rabbits...

Anyway, Littlefinger was great and so was Lady Olenna vs Tywin. So let's give it a 7.

5. That's not a good enough answer. The raiding party is too small to risk attacking Castle Black.

There is a much larger group of Wildlings as we have seen in the trailers. Maybe this was not the only group to go over the wall.

It was... ok.

I don't know, the Theon scene was quite disturbing. Sometimes HBO gets too carried away with violence. Also the poor rabbits...

Anyway, Littlefinger was great and so was Lady Olenna vs Tywin. So let's give it a 7.

I am not targetting you but ASOIAF are constantly contradicting each other on what they want. Some say that there is too much, some say too little, on everything. This goes for violence as well as anything else. I liked them showing the flaying, I hope they don't hold back anything in this regard. My mother was freaking out when she saw it.

8. Maybe it should be. Hers and Jaime's scenes have been the only redeeming feature of this season. But that wasn't my point anyway. Why does Theon, a character who wasn't even in A Storm of Swords, get screentime when Daenerys doesn't? (It probably has something to do with Theon being D&D's favourite character...)

You really do like moaning don't you? People will forget about Theon if he appeard two years after they saw him last, it will lose all emotional impact. Most people don't even know his name. I am sick of reading people post this back to people complaining about this, and I can't believe I am posting something I am sick of reading, the television adaption has to take different things into consideration than what an author might have to take. I know for certain my friends and family would forget Theon if he turned up two seasons later, and we don't have to see Dany every episode. It makes it more of a treat(at least for me) to see her every second episode.

7. It's insulting that the only way they can provide a bit of drama for Bran's storyline is to create a rivalry between two female characters.

Agreed, but come on, I would like to see you write Bran's storyline into something for television, something tells me you would fail, just as much as I would.

Edited by Cellio

My first 10 of the season. Because finally it's slower, they've allowed scenes and stories to breathe, and it doesn't feel they're rushing through the plot. Which is how the last episode felt to me. I feel like this was the most understandable episode of the season for causal fans. I think it was so much better written than the last episode.

I feel like it's the first time they've done Jon's story justice this season. Mostly because they actually spent time on him. With Theon, they've finally told the audience that no, they're not supposed to know who's torturing Theon or what's going on and the torture is becoming just as brutal as it was in the books. Olenna/Tywin and Varys/Littlefinger were two scenes with awesome awesome dialogue that I loved all the more because I wasn't expecting it. The entire climb and the beautiful shot at the end were some of the most atmospheric scenes in the series. Oh and Ros is dead! How could anyone give it less than a 9?

Exactly how I feel!

LOL it is so hilarious to see your own smallclothes get into a twist, PS I know many gay men. I dont like what they are doing with Loras' character either but whinging about it feels pointless. I am optimistic enough to think there will be some expansion on Loras beyond his sexuality once he joins the KG. I hope so anyway. Look, i get being mad about that, but come on.

Sansa was gonna try on a freaking dress and was talking to Shae. You see nothing whatsoever. Whine whine whine.

Nah, im seeing Peter Dinklage losing his Tyrion Swagger â„¢ in favor of a perpetual |:[ face and constant whining about himself. Every conversation he has with someone is all about HIM.

They have to show Theon somehow. Having him disappear for that amount of time is just...doesnt make sense for the adaption.

Maybe it should be.

Oh fuck no. Emilia Clarke is one of the weakest actors on the show. When she isnt hamming it up, she feels forced. Shes a lovely scenery chewer and thats what made her Dracarys moment so much fun, but jeezus. Dany's ASoS arc in the show is missing a lot of things that made it something resembling interesting in the book.

Keep the comedy coming, mang.

Edited by Florina Stark

The Wall is very long, for starters, so Jon and Ygritte wouldn't exactly have been surrounded by other wildling parties, and weren't, if I recall, in the book when they reached the top. The rest of their party, in the show, thinking them dead, would have moved off to another part of the top of the Wall. The scene makes sense. The topography, however, doesn't quite. Owing to the amount of packed ice at the Wall, you'd expect it to be snow and ice for a longer distance than gets shown southwards. A fair amount of time has gone past in the novel by the time Jon's party reaches The Gift.

Edited by The Killer Snark

I gave this episode a *6*. (Lowest of the season, the others have been 7s, 8s, and a 9)

A good episode, but far too uneven. There was a lot of really good scenes, but also some less the good scenes.

Primary negatives:

- Arya and Melisandre, I did not care for this at all.

- Loras was a bit over-the-top

Primary positives:

- Melisandre's scene with Thoros and Beric (great way to introduce Thoros' back story)

- The wall climb, even though some of the effects were not up to normal standard

- Jon/Ygritte scenes, this is the first time there has been really excellent chemistry between them - both before the climb, and at the top

- Tywin/Olenna, 'nuff said

LOL it is so hilarious to see your own smallclothes get into a twist. I know many gay men. I dont like what they are doing with Loras' character either but whinging about it feels pointless. I am optimistic enough to think there will be some expansion on Loras beyond his sexuality once he joins the KG. I hope so anyway. Look, i get being mad about that, but come on.

Sansa was gonna try on a freaking dress and was talking to Shae. You see nothing whatsoever. Whine whine whine.

Nah, im seeing Peter Dinklage losing his Tyrion Swagger â„¢ in favor of a perpetual |:[ face and constant whining about himself. Every conversation he has with someone is all about HIM.

They have to show Theon somehow. Having him disappear for that amount of time is just...doesnt make sense for the adaption.

Whinging feels pointless? Good for you!!! Keep maintaining that status quo <3 And oh, don't fucking whinge then - and stop whinging about my whinging. If you understand why I'm mad, you'll understand why I won't "come on". I'm offended and I want to make sure that everyone knows why I'm offended.

Was the scene necessary? No. Why did we need to see Sansa in her smallclothes? Like seriously... do you not realise how grossly over-sexualised that scene was? They're sexualising a 16 year old girl. Let that sink in.

But that is hardly a major character flaw. In the books, Tyrion is a murderer and a rapist, and he also abuses Shae and manipulates her because of his own dellusions. He's a sympathetic character, but he's severely flawed and not in any way a good person.

They don't have to show Theon. Having him miss a season and showing him broken next season would have been far stronger, just like in the book.

Oh fuck no. Emilia Clarke is one of the weakest actors on the show. When she isnt hamming it up, she feels forced. Shes a lovely scenery chewer and thats what made her Dracarys moment so much fun, but jeezus. Dany's ASoS arc in the show is missing a lot of things that made it something resembling interesting in the book.

Kit Harington is by far the worst on the show and yet no one complains that he's given screentime (not even me - I recognise that Jon is an essential character).

Daenerys is one of the most popular characters on the show (she'll probably be the MOST popular by the end - Tyrion, Arya and Jon don't have any triumphant moments this season). And her story this season has proven incredibly popular - why do you think episode 5 had such high ratings?

You literally just proved my point: Dany's arc is missing something. So why not give her more screentime?

. I'm offended and I want to make sure that everyone knows why I'm offended.

You are offended by everything. A good way to ensure you are not offended again is to stop watching the show if it bothers you so much.

Dany's storyline is missing the tension between Arstan and Jorah since the reveal happened. Its missing Strong Belwas. Its missing good interaction between Dany and Missandei. Last week's Dany scene was actually kinda redundant because NOTHING HAPPENED.

Edited by Florina Stark

• Sansa is over-sexualised. Why does the show need to over-sexualise a 16 year old girl? And why would Tyrion just barge his way into her room?

Probably because Sansa is a hostage of the Crown and he's the King's uncle and the Hand's nephew. The only two people in the room are the hostage he's being ordered to marry and his concubine. She can't stop him from entering, if he'd waited and she had said no he'd have to just go in anyway against her wishes.

Because, let's be honest, Theon being tortured by an unknown is more entertaining and intriguing than Dany walking around a desert with nothing to do for an episode.

She's not doing nothing, she's providing a forum for Ser Grandfather and Ser Friendzone to determine who is more dominant. :P

You are offended by everything. A good way to ensure you are not offended again is to stop watching the show if it bothers you so much.

Dany's storyline is missing the tension between Arstan and Jorah since the reveal happened. Its missing Strong Belwas. Its missing good interaction between Dany and Missandei. Last week's Dany scene was actually kinda redundant because NOTHING HAPPENED.

I'm offended by THINGS THAT ARE OFFENSIVE. Like... is that really so hard for you to work out? :) It's not a complex idea: things offend me if they're problematic.

Nothing happened? It advanced the tension between Barristan and Jorah, and it gave us the incredibly significant scene between Daenerys and Grey Worm.

But again, you've proved my point. If you feel that Dany's story is missing good interaction between Dany and Missandei, you're essentially agreeing that we need more scenes between Daenerys and Missandei... which was kinda my whole point in the first place if you go back and check my original post.

Probably because Sansa is a hostage of the Crown and he's the King's uncle and the Hand's nephew. The only two people in the room are the hostage he's being ordered to marry and his concubine. She can't stop him from entering, if he'd waited and she had said no he'd have to just go in anyway against her wishes.

You don't barge into someone's room and then avert your eyes. There's a REASON people knock on doors. LMAO.

She's not doing nothing, she's providing a forum for Ser Grandfather and Ser Friendzone to determine who is more dominant. :P

Funny thing is, I'd find jorah/Barristan having another badass/war-referenced conversation more entertaining than Dany walking around