How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I will echo Lucifer's (oh boy) sentiment that this episode was too much of a handhold even though it's a setup episode. Very little subtlety and it was sort of a "Hey remember this" a few times, but since I'm not a producer or writer perhaps you really need to do those things for the general viewership.

Sam's dagger was the worst offender. Like hey Gilly I found this seemingly useless arrowhead! Everybody pay attention because it becomes important."

Just have him stab the Other and later be like oh shit this Dragonglass is the real deal.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

I will echo Lucifer's (oh boy) sentiment that this episode was too much of a handhold even though it's a setup episode. Very little subtlety and it was sort of a "Hey remember this" a few times, but since I'm not a producer or writer perhaps you really need to do those things for the general viewership.

Sam's dagger was the worst offender. Like hey Gilly I found this seemingly useless arrowhead! Everybody pay attention because it becomes important."

Just have him stab the Other and later be like oh shit this Dragonglass is the real deal.

I think you've summed up my position much more succinctly than I did :cheers:

7/10 Lowest episode for me, enjoyment wise. Many parts felt like fillers, some of them were so removed from the books I'm a bit puzzled about the direction of those developments, and Ros' death... Well, now I'm just confused about her purpose in this show at all, because her killing was so pointless. Maybe the creators finally got the clue that the fanbase was not supportive of her.

I also hate what they're doing with Robb and Cat's arcs. DD spent wayyy too much time in Kings Landing so far. When Cat, who is an actual POV character by the way, gets like one line per episode. It's going to make people not care when the RW happens. I've read so many posts with people saying they're ready for it to go ahead and happen. for the RW being the biggest event of this entire season, they surely aren't doing a good job at showcasing the characters involved in it. They need to lead up to it better.

THEN any scene we do get of the King in the North, Blackfish is always just flailing around being a jerk. Continuously threatening Edmure isn't being a badass. He is being an asshole.

People also say that Bran doesn't get enough scenes, and he doesn't. Stop giving people who don't do much in the books gratuitous three minute scenes. Just skip them that episode and focus on the characters who do have things to do.

Lovely episode without Dany about to start nibbling on shit and making bad decisions :D

Did anybody else find an imbalance in the scene with LF/Varys?

In the book I was always under the impression that even though they often butted heads, as it were, Varys was the one that came out victorious most of the time? This being due to the fact that he

1. has a much wider network than LF (including across the Narrow Sea)

2. has real purpose and isn't just a chaos afficionado

3. Varys isn't unnecessarily cruel

Yet in the scene where LF reveals the fate of Ros to Varys, Conleth Hill shows real shock, disbelief and dare I say it, a hint of helplessness ... Was that just me???

I have a certain trust in book-Varys, that in spite of his questionable means, he truly believes his ends are noble, and he sees LF for the shit that he is, and wouldn't allow himself to underestimate LF.

That said, there's a couple of issues in the season so far that actually underline the possibility that Varys DID underestimate LF: a eunuch seeking out a whore? (um, suspicious!) and employing Ros to work for him, doublecrossing LF? are we sure we can believe that?

Just worried that they are ruining Varys... the thoughtlessness seems uncharacteristic of him

Sorry, I didn't explain myself with Bran well at all, lol. What I mean is he's become filler. Don't give him a pointless three minute scene each episode. Instead, skip over him, focus on the characters who do need the screen time, and give Bran a good strong scene every now and then. But these two minute "dream falling from a tree" and "I skin rabbits better" are almost an insult to his elegant storylines from the books. Save his time for when it's right and when it's needed.

People also say that Bran doesn't get enough scenes, and he doesn't. Stop giving people who don't do much in the books gratuitous three minute scenes. Just skip them that episode and focus on the characters who do have things to do.

Bran and co. do very little from aSoS to aDwD in terms of actual events. They venture around in the wild, save Jon through Summer (Which I think may still happen), meet some creep riding an elk and pass under the wall to hide in a cave so Bran can become a tree. They're just inventing stuff at this point to keep him relevant. Remember the next Season also has aSoS extend into it so there's plenty of time to convey the same things we see in Bran's PoV. The trouble is these invented scenes are pretty dull.

They really need to end Theon's torture. Its gotten to highly irritating levels. Simply cant tolerate anymore. Enough torture. Move his story forward or stop showing that shit. I never liked that whore ROs, a very good riddance. God damn it, show more of Khaleesi and Dragons. I no longer feel for sansa, her misfortune has reached impractical levels. I gave it 7. A lame episode with no power.

Edited by A_man_Is_Happy

Lovely episode without Dany about to start nibbling on shit and making bad decisions :D

In the book I was always under the impression that even though they often butted heads, as it were, Varys was the one that came out victorious most of the time? This being due to the fact that he

Yet in the scene where LF reveals the fate of Ros to Varys, Conleth Hill shows real shock, disbelief and dare I say it, a hint of helplessness ... Was that just me???

I have a certain trust in book-Varys, that in spite of his questionable means, he truly believes his ends are noble, and he sees LF for the shit that he is, and wouldn't allow himself to underestimate LF.

That said, there's a couple of issues in the season so far that actually underline the possibility that Varys DID underestimate LF: a eunuch seeking out a whore? (um, suspicious!) and employing Ros to work for him, doublecrossing LF? are we sure we can believe that?

Just worried that they are ruining Varys... the thoughtlessness seems uncharacteristic of him

I hate that Varys is doing such a poor job at being, well, VARYS! He is the master of whisperers, yet he is caught at every single turn and move he makes.

Im such a Varys fangirl that i saw that as Varys playing the role of "oh shit you got me, broseph. Ouch" in order to let Littlefinger think he has the upper hand.

I no longer feel for sansa, her misfortune has reached impractical levels.

Umm you do realize she faces the same misfortune (if not worse) in the books, right?

Edited by Florina Stark

What else is Sam going to show her, his dick? Sam is grateful to be talking to a GIRL. Sam is grateful he is the ONLY MAN within 100 leagues to be able to talk to said GIRL. Honestly. People look for things to complain about.

As for all the Loras whining. Really? Who else in all of Westeros has he EVER been able to talk to about his dream wedding? His sister, or Renley? Doubtful. Sansa is in fact, perfect. The fact he's resigned to his paring with Sansa, and trying at all instead of demanding to be made part of the KG I found particularly sweet.

Sansa being overly sexualized because she's fully clothed even in a corset?

This is Westeros circo 299 AL, not 2013 Earth. Why project 21st century Earth sensibilities and accepted societal norms onto this fictional universe unless you're purposely looking to be offended and disappointed?

I also hate what they're doing with Robb and Cat's arcs. DD spent wayyy too much time in Kings Landing so far. When Cat, who is an actual POV character by the way, gets like one line per episode. It's going to make people not care when the RW happens. I've read so many posts with people saying they're ready for it to go ahead and happen. for the RW being the biggest event of this entire season, they surely aren't doing a good job at showcasing the characters involved in it. They need to lead up to it better.

THEN any scene we do get of the King in the North, Blackfish is always just flailing around being a jerk. Continuously threatening Edmure isn't being a badass. He is being an asshole.

I agree with everything here except about Bran. I think most of his scenes so far have been useless and boring

What else is Sam going to show her, his dick? Sam is grateful to be talking to a GIRL. Sam is grateful he is the ONLY MAN within 100 leagues to be able to talk to said GIRL. Honestly. People look for things to complain about.

As for all the Loras whining. Really? Who else in all of Westeros has he EVER been able to talk to about his dream wedding? His sister, or Renley? Doubtful. Sansa is in fact, perfect. The fact he's resigned to his paring with Sansa, and trying at all instead of demanding to be made part of the KG I found particularly sweet.

Sansa being overly sexualized because she's fully clothed even in a corset?

This is Westeros circo 299 AL, not 2013 Earth. Why project 21st century Earth sensibilities and accepted societal norms onto this fictional universe unless you're purposely looking to be offended and disappointed?

He doesn't have to show her anything. Why does he have to whip something out? The scene was an example of the writing being a bit weak, since we don't need to have him remind us hey by the way I got this seemingly useless dagger. I like how the show doesn't always spell everything out and lets you connect the dots. So that scene, among others, was a bit weak for me.