How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I hate that Varys is doing such a poor job at being, well, VARYS! He is the master of whisperers, yet he is caught at every single turn and move he makes.

Im such a Varys fangirl that i saw that as Varys playing the role of "oh shit you got me, broseph. Ouch" in order to let Littlefinger think he has the upper hand.

another Varys fangirl here ;)

the only thing is, if that is true. that means he has willingly given up on saving Ros, which isn't quite like Varys, because we are led to believe he protects his birds.

He is obviously not all-powerful, and he even told Ned AND Tyrion he'd sell them out if his life was on the line. I guess I'm wondering why not provide the same fine-print in his contract with Ros? She's not important enough? or not smart enough, and could botch his plans pretty bad...?

I hope the point of that scene wasn't "poor little Varys didn't know"... I hope it was "go ahead, pound your chest LF, we'll see who'll have the last laugh"

Edited by bbstark

A good episode, not great, a solid 8. Like some have said before, setting up for the final 3 episodes, wow this season is just flying by compared to season 2, which seemed to drag to me. Except for Dany, I believe everybody else was in this episode, which means a lot of stories got only one scene like Bran's, but at least Rickon got in a couple of lines. Robb's meeting with the Frey's, and Jaime and Brienne's supper with Roose. And just a minor complaint about the season in general, what happened to the direwolves? Except for a few scenes earlier on, just have not seen them too often, especially Grey Wind.

Oh and I can't believe people hated the Kiss on the Wall...

It's supposed to provide contrast to the gruesome death of Ros you've just seen... death is followed up by life, a hope, a new day!

I can't think of a better way to follow up that scene ;)

another Varys fangirl here ;)

the only thing is, if that is true. that means he has willingly given up on saving Ros, which isn't quite like Varys, because we are led to believe he protects his birds.

He is obviously not all-powerful, and he even told Ned AND Tyrion he'd sell them out if his life was on the line. I guess I'm wondering why not provide the same fine-print in his contract with Ros? She's not important enough? or not smart enough, and could botch his plans pretty bad...?

I hope the point of that scene wasn't "poor little Varys didn't know"... I hope it was "go ahead, pound your chest LF, we'll see who'll have the last laugh"

I'm sorry but how does Varys protect "his birds"? He has them mutilated and forces them to spy on his behalf. That isn't protecting.

A good episode, not great, a solid 8. Like some have said before, setting up for the final 3 episodes, wow this season is just flying by compared to season 2, which seemed to drag to me. Except for Dany, I believe everybody else was in this episode, which means a lot of stories got only one scene like Bran's, but at least Rickon got in a couple of lines. Robb's meeting with the Frey's, and Jaime and Brienne's supper with Roose. And just a minor complaint about the season in general, what happened to the direwolves? Except for a few scenes earlier on, just have not seen them too often, especially Grey Wind.

I think he had more lines than Cat... :stillsick:

I rated it a 6. Definitely my least fave of what is really turning out to be a great season. It felt like it was made from a completely different team.

I actually liked the Mel/Thoros bit (I really thought I was gonna hate it--but I liked it). I'm loving Thoros! Love Blackfish and Edmure (who I still just see as Brutus from Rome).

I *always* love Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime, Arya and this episode was no different -- plus, it had my new favorite, Roose Bolton. So yeah, loved those parts.

I never liked Ros so that whole thing is no biggie to me. I really am not loving the Cersei/Joffrey changes but I can accept them both as TV needs vs book needs.

Peter's speech was um... overdone, just 'eh to me... but the one thing that really irked me this episode was Loras. It was just ridiculous. Yeah, we get it, he's gay... I don't need him discussing gowns and decorations, etc.

Overall, still enjoyed it -- just not nearly as much as the first 5.

Oh and I can't believe people hated the Kiss on the Wall...

It's supposed to provide contrast to the gruesome death of Ros you've just seen... death is followed up by life, a hope, a new day!

I can't think of a better way to follow up that scene ;)

Count me in as someone who hated the kiss on the wall... I swear, my first thought was, "Damn, this looks like the final scene on Two Towers" -- bad cgi done in an overly corny way. We don't need corny.

One thing I love about Westeros/GoT is that we don't need corny. It doesn't work for me within the realism they strive so hard for.

I'm sorry but how does Varys protect "his birds"? He has them mutilated and forces them to spy on his behalf. That isn't protecting.

I said "we are led to believe", and I was referring to show-Varys, not book-Varys. I believe just a few pages earlier we all agreed that the book and show are different. I don't recall any mutilation of his birds being mentioned in the show. Come to think of it, I don't recall where he mutilates them in the book, and would appreciate a quote more than the hostility :)

Cat is a 1 dimensional character. Most people just know her as 'the mom'. She's far more interesting as a vindictive zombie bitch.

Maybe, on the show but she is extremely more complex within the books.

6 or 7

I said "we are led to believe", and I was referring to show-Varys, not book-Varys. I believe just a few pages earlier we all agreed that the book and show are different. I don't recall any mutilation of his birds being mentioned in the show. Come to think of it, I don't recall where he mutilates them in the book, and would appreciate a quote more than the hostility :)

He has their tongues removed. I don't remember exactly when this was confirmed, but I believe it's at least mentioned in the conversation he has with Illyrio in AGoT. Illyrio says "if they kept their tongues..." and Varys replies with "the risk". I believe it's also implied that he kills them when they're no longer useful (i.e. no longer children).

Edited by PatrickStormborn

Count me in as someone who hated the kiss on the wall... I swear, my first thought was, "Damn, this looks like the final scene on Two Towers" -- bad cgi done in an overly corny way. We don't need corny.

One thing I love about Westeros/GoT is that we don't need corny. It doesn't work for me within the realism they strive so hard for.

I don't know dude.... if I had just survived climbing a 700 foot wall of ice, and lived to tell the tale... the FIRST thought in my head would be an affirmation that I"m alive, Kissing my Boyfriend is pretty much up there in the top #3 (maybe top #2) life affirming things to do ;)

Not corny, but extremely significant...

Seriously, people are misinterpreting everythign from this episode! They called the Meera/Osha conflict a cat fight! If it had been a crannogman and a wildling man, they would have understood the difference ;)

better than anything weve seen this year.

its actually mindboggling that the same people that built this episode ok'd the structural mess that was the first two episodes,

I don't know dude.... if I had just survived climbing a 700 foot wall of ice, and lived to tell the tale... the FIRST thought in my head would be an affirmation that I"m alive, Kissing my Boyfriend is pretty much up there in the top #3 (maybe top #2) life affirming things to do ;)

Seriously, people are misinterpreting everythign from this episode! They called the Meera/Osha conflict a cat fight! If it had been a crannogman and a wildling man, they would have understood the difference ;)

:agree:

I don't think I'm misinterpreting it at all. I think it's my opinion that it was cheese. The pan-out, the kiss -- to me, it was 100% corn.

Don't get me wrong, I love these two together... and I get the character motivation for the kiss. However, what I saw wasn't some amazing, life-affirming passionate kiss... I saw the same kiss I see in every other show.

Hell, grope a little, pull her hair, whatever... I'm just saying to me, it was standard fare, not the above-par I've come to expect from GoT.

(ETA: maybe there was some passion that I missed, but in that case--it couldn't have been very passionate *to me* if it didn't even register ;-))

Edited by ipsuel

I saw the Meera and Osha thing as two people who are used to leading their charges so to speak butting heads over who was more efficient. I didnt even look at their genders because, it doesnt matter what lies between their legs. They are people having a disagreement.

Also agree with the Wall. I found it sweet.

Hell, grope a little, pull her hair, whatever... I'm just saying to me, it was standard fare, not the above-par I've come to expect from GoT.

(ETA: maybe there was some passion that I missed, but in that case--it couldn't have been very passionate *to me* if it didn't even register ;-))

:lol:

alright, we are definitely agreeing to disagree on this one... I got the chills and the goosebumps :wub: and it was glorious!

I saw the Meera and Osha thing as two people who are used to leading their charges so to speak butting heads over who was more efficient. I didnt even look at their genders because, it doesnt matter what lies between their legs. They are people having a disagreement.

that debacle happened in another thread :D

and yes you're right about the leadership thing, absolutely! Both Meera and Osha are used to being the bawss/el jefe ;) it's kinda hard to give in

also, I think there was a cultural war going on: wildling vs. *southerner*

I mean yeah, Osha calls the boys "little lords" but they are her boys! She's had influence over them, she isn't just protective of them, she takes a certain pride on them. I noticed so much snide in her when she called Meera "Lady Reed" I was cracking up!

some people were saying that it was 1. a petty fight 2. boring 3. a stereotype because women were "in the kitchen" preparing food for the men while getting into a fight over who can do it better :shocked:

Nobody said anything about Hodor :D but he Hodor-ed with distinction!

:)

Edited by bbstark

I saw the Osha/Meera thing as alpha-female positioning... feeling each other out... nothing as dramatic as a cat-fight. LOL. I enjoyed that scene actually.