How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 7. I was going to give it a 6 but Littlefinger's "the climb" monologue at the end saved it. I didn't like the show going off the rails with Mellisandre kidnapping Gendry. I was kinda looking forward to the leeches. Well, we can't have everything I guess.

Gave it a 7. I really enjoy Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr. RIP Ros

I agree. I didn't know who the actor was before this season but Thoros is quickly becoming one my favorite characters. I gotta admit, as annoying as Ros was, she was getting hotter by the episode. Plus, she got naked alot.

I am going to be pretty harsh and go with 4/10.

This episode, especially after the last two, is barely recognizable as ASoIaF or even the GoT show. They have done so much great work adapting the story this season, working with the time and resources they have available to show the broader strokes of characterization, and making changes that are either necessary or that actually add something on their own merit. However, this episode is a total throwaway.

Almost all of the adaptive changes they've made appear totally unnecessary and superfluous. This episode does not treat you like an intelligent person; it smacks you in the head with a brick in order to resolve any questions or subtleties the show's writing may have left in question. Cliches abound and many characters are made more one-dimensional through clumsy characterization. This episode is one of the poorest examples of writing in the whole series, in my opinion.

You see it coming from every angle; Loras is just a silly gay knight who wants to have a pretty wedding and have lots of gay sex with whomever. Tyrion is just a sardonic saint in a bad situation. Littlefinger is the Joker in velvet. Ygritte and Jon are Bonny and Clyde.

When you put the writing done by D&D in contrast with some of the better writers on the show, it really makes it seem like they just don't have the minds for this type of work. They can't stand having grey characters or leaving questions over which one can ponder and debate. They have done some work on this show that is just so ham-fisted and clumsy that it's almost laughable. I understand that they have to lower the scope and detail of the source material in order to put ASoIaF into one hour TV slots, and do it without totally confusing people. Still, they often make choices which seem so clumsy and convoluted when they could just be keeping it simple, and they could leave some things a little more open without being confusing.

It must be said that I don't abhor all deviations from the books. Some things are handled very well and some even add a new dimension to the story. However, sometimes they change a character's fundamental traits or motivations so much, or change plot points, so that the only way to reconcile the alterations with the greater story becomes a complication in itself. What I see in this episode is that they have basically had to take an entire hour to scramble at making any sense out of some of their greater deviations. They will have to take such measures again in the future thanks to things like revealing point-blank why Tyrion was almost killed in Blackwater, having Melisandre make an inexplicable trip to kidnap Gendry and giving Littlefinger a 'some people just want to watch the world burn' speech.

There were parts in this episode that were done well, but none that stood out. Lord Bolton, Ramsay and Theon are progressing well and I think that their interactions provide some much needed mystery for non book readers. Again, though, I just can't understand why given their already stifling limitations they would spend so much time on other things that are so superfluous and irrelevant.

Overall, this was easily amongst the weakest episodes of the entire series.

:agree: I agree with everything you said. I too gave it a four. It's not the changes to the story so much that bother me, although they do a little, it is the poorly written substitute. If the quality was the same as the dialogue from the books, then it wouldn't bother me so much. The constant Loras/Renly treatment is so cliche and it lowers the whole episode. The cheesy ending was so badly done I expected little birds to flutter around them and have Ygritte break out in song. And to those who thought the snow/wall looked realistic, I have lived both in sub arctic climates and mountainous regions. It looked like styrofoam. Looking a it, I can tell they were on a set with a green screen background. Look at that snow versus the snow in the scenes taken in Iceland. One is natural, the other is high school prop design.

I've been pretty pleased with the season thus far. Have yet to really be disappointed yet in most respects other than Robb's storyline.

I'd give this episode an 8 as it was littered with great moments. From dinner at the Boltons to the climb at the wall to The Boy frakking with Theon to the Brotherhood and Melisandre and the brilliant final scene. I'm always left wanting more. Bring on next week!

6/10 I didn't like the episode that much. Maybe the episode is not that bad, maybe it just feels like that after last weeks episode, which was great. But I think it wasn't very well-written. I didn't even like Petyr's speech. Don't exactly know why. Too deep for me, maybe? but oh well, bright side is: next weeks episode is GRRM's! and after this one, it's gonna be great!!!

For reference:

Ep1: 7

Ep2: 7

Ep3: 8

Ep4: 8

Ep5: 9

Ep6: 6 I was hoping this one would be another 9 :crying:

I'm over getting annoyed about changes, and I've given up on some stories, so I'm enjoying this season a lot so far.

That said I'm only giving it a 5/10.

The best bits were the Harrenhal scene with Jaime/Brienne and Roose, and Robb's negotiation with the Freys. I really like their version of Edmure. I wish the Blackfish would stop being such a bully though.

The Sam scene was quite good and I didn't dislike the Meera/Osha thing like most people did.

Sadly there was way too much wall in this one, and that's always bad because Kit sucks something fierce. The 'aren't you' line had me creasing when I saw the promo and it was just as funny in the episode too.

The other bad thing was the fact the writing was really very poor for the Tywin/Olenna scene. They were both being colossally stupid and it was very implausible in my opinion. It looked like it was two experienced players going at each other but if you thought it through it just fell apart.

Aiden Gillen was awful as usual, he had a very boring monologue. Sansa has been made very stupid with the 'will my family be invited' line too.

The brotherhood wasn't bad though, I didn't mind that change too much.

Overall despite some good scenes not enough that was interesting and some quite poor writing.

Edited by Bran the Deciduous

Well, that was a pretty bad episode, especially compared to last week. I gave it a 5. It was saved from pure oblivion by Thoros, LF climb monologue and Roose Bolton really hitting the quiet menance mark in his scene with Jamie and Brienne. Everything else was fairly well terrible, especially Osha and the Reeds, truly, truly cringe worthy.

Aiden Gillen was awful as usual, he had a very boring monologue.

Ahh, yes! Didn't know who this actor by his name at first, so I had to Google Image him first.. Littlefinger.

I don't like him as Littlefinger either, but for me, I think it's more the depiction of him that bothers me more than the actor himself. The scenes between LF and Varys bother me quite a bit because every single one is the same: flirty and hostile and a flowery song of nah-nah, I know more than you do! What would've been wrong with having Varys and LF interact with and manipulate characters directly to their faces, the way they do in the books? They would be so much more effective that way, in my opinion. Though I read somewhere yesterday in one of these threads that someone said the general public is stupid and TV needs to be "dumbed down" for them and I couldn't agree more with that. How unfortunate. Two characters whose mystery and intrigue don't really come off the screen for me nearly as much as they did in the books.

You also said Kit sucks something fierce. Yuuuuuup.

Though I read somewhere yesterday in one of these threads that someone said the general public is stupid and TV needs to be "dumbed down" for them and I couldn't agree more with that. How unfortunate. Two characters whose mystery and intrigue don't really come off the screen for me nearly as much as they did in the books.

You're being a little too harsh. Try watching a show with so many intricate stories, such as GoT, for the first time, without knowing what is going to happen and only being aware of some of the main characters. This dialogue between LF and Varys was actually one of the scenes the non-readers liked, as far as I know. That's because it settled an important confrontation between the two in a short time span. Having them playing the game would take a very long time, which in the book can be described in a chapter.

Edited by raviept

1/10 from me and I gave the last 5 episodes between 7-10.

The whole episode was just a confusing mess. Badly written and needlessly cluttered with way to many scenes. They have the source material but instead of simplifying it for TV they feel the need to chuck it into a blender and pull plots at random from it. I really hope this is the only low point for the season because the other episodes have been amazing.

You're being a little too harsh. Try watching a show with so many intricate stories, such as GoT, for the first time, without knowing what is going to happen and only being aware of some of the main characters. This dialogue between LF and Varys was actually one of the scenes the non-readers liked, as far as I know. That's because it settled an important confrontation between the two in a short time span. Having them playing the game would take a very long time, which in the book can be described in a chapter.

Perhaps that was a little harsh. Oh well... that's what disappointment will do to you. Some episodes are great, don't get me wrong! Anyway, so you wouldn't agree that the show's been dumbed down quite a bit?

I know what you mean, though. My non-reader friends absolutely love the scenes between LF and Varys. Me personally, and as a reader, I don't like them all that much. I mean, the writers spend so much time on shit scenes that don't even happen in the books, so why can't they have used that time instead to have LF or Varys interacting with a main character? Why have these long intricate scenes with bloody Ros, may she burn in seven hells, plotting with them, when they could've so easily had them had them interacting with real characters instead? That's where my disappointment comes in, thus resulting in my "harshness". You don't need to throw it in the faces of viewers that LF and Varys have secrets and are crafty and sneaky.... the majority of people aren't that stupid and could figure it out on their own that these two guys have a little more going on in their motives than anyone knows. At least that's how I feel about it. :-/

I can't believe people didn't like this episode. I thought it was another really good one. 3 straight. The wall-climbing scenes were absolutely epic, and as cliche as Jon/Ygritte could be in the books the show has really made it work, mainly through Rose Leslie's fantastic acting. Really amazing job with that whole Jon scene. ETA: I gave the episode a 7 btw, though it was between a 7 and 8 for me. It seems that was what most votes went for.

Giving Tywin/Olenna a scene together was brilliant and awesome. Likewise, I liked Tyrion/Cersei together basically commiserating over everything.

The Boltons are doing an awesome job being trolls. Roose has finally started to be the awesome witticism machine and super troll we all love from the books. I loved his "Haven't you learned not to overplay your.......situation by now Jaime?"

I have to disagree on Aidan Gillen being bad. He's absolutely PERFECT as a creepy, smarmy slimeball Littlefinger. He just has this perfect smirk that he plays that makes you loathe him. I think he's done great as LF.

My only real 2 complaints are about Sansa's ridiculously stupid question about bringing her family to the wedding ("Yes Sansa, of course you can bring your family who is now currently rebelling against and killing your husband's family's soldiers and allies"), and Melisandre magically being able to travel to and find the BWB in the middle of the freaking war even though they're supposed to be in hiding and impossible to find and half of Tywin's army is searching nonstop for them. But I did like the Arya/Mel faceoff and foreshadowing and the look of wonder on Mel's face and jealousy that the drunken Thoros could do stuff she couldn't.

Edited by Tagganaro

With 630 votes in, the episode rates 7.30 of 10 now. Gone down a little bit since the last tally.

(I often find this to be the case with all the episodes, though -- with time to mull it over, later voters seem to like them just a little bit less well than early voters).

I dont see why it is getting such bad reviews on this forum (most review sights seem to like it).

The climb, ramsey, roose, tullys and even sam were all really enjoyable. Not as good as the previous three, but not terrible by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, with the whole "worst episode of the series" stuff, what avout episode 2 and 8 of last season? I swear NOTHING happened in those two.

Edited by Rabid Grunt

for as excited as the producers said they were about getting to this season, they sure are making a mess of it.

The story lines have all been incoherent and jumbled. The characters seem to be just floating about in a world without any true convictions. Every other scene has a character showing an expression of disbelief that is becoming a comical motif in my mind. I'm starting to fear that they may destroy the series with this season.

I gave it an 8, started to give it a 7

While this episode deviated from the books in basically every scene, I still found it an enjoyable episode all around.

I thought the Theon scene was great. I, like many others, favored Cillian Murphy for the role of the Bastard, but I have to admit that Iwan Rheon has been perfectly cast. He takes crazy to another level IMO.

Tywin/Olenna had some great dialogue, not that I would expect any less from either of the characters.

I thought Ros' death was horrific and a sharp reminder that Joffrey is a evil, sadistic prick (not that anyone could forget I guess).

Poor Sansa. Just poor, poor Sansa

The only low point to me in the episode was the Osha/Meera/Bran/Jojen scene. I just don't get why Jojen is having a seizure nor why there is so much animosity between Osha and Meera.

Gendry being sold to Mel bothers me too. He was freaking knighted in the books, now it appears that wont be happening.

Still, I enjoyed it overall