How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

In the show, he's been welcomed into their brotherhood, and then they sell him out. That's pretty low. Arya was never part of the brotherhood, OTOH. And while they're looking to profit, they're taking her to where she wants to be, whereas it's clear that Gendry doesn't want to go with Melisandre.

Edited by Ran

In the show, he's been welcomed into their brotherhood, and then they sell him out. That's pretty low. Arya was never part of the brotherhood, OTOH. And while they're looking to profit, they're taking her to where she wants to be, whereas it's clear that Gendry doesn't want to go with Melisandre.

true, but...arya is the sister to the king in the north and the daughter of the man who sent them on their mission to begin with.

gendry is...just gendry

They also tell her in the books that should something go wrong with the plan to ransom her back to her family that they ensure her safety, either by sending her back to Dondarien's castle or back to Lady Smallwood....there is no comparing it with letting Mel take Gendry by force all tied up in the back of a wagon.

They also tell her in the books that should something go wrong with the plan to ransom her back to her family that they ensure her safety, either by sending her back to Dondarien's castle or back to Lady Smallwood....there is no comparing it with letting Mel take Gendry by force all tied up in the back of a wagon.

creepy red lady comes into camp talking valyrian to thoros, slinging around lots o cash. brothers gotta eat...

easy decision to let have em..

creepy red lady comes into camp talking valyrian to thoros, slinging around lots o cash. brothers gotta eat...

easy decision to let have em..

Not much of a brotherhood then is it? Wouldn't be inspiring much loyalty if they will sell each other out? Makes them nothing more than a band of outlaws.

Not much of a brotherhood then is it? Wouldn't be inspiring much loyalty if they will sell each other out? Makes them nothing more than a band of outlaws.

what makes them "brothers"?? any evidence or behavior aside from basic survival skills?? the only good i see them doing is killing freys in future episodes.

they are just a bunch of outlaws...no loyalty to north or south..

gendry is...just gendry

They say they're brothers. They're a brotherhood. They protect one another, and they strive to protect the realm as best they can. Their loyalty is to the Seven Kingdoms. I mean, you can understand why these men follow Beric -- he has become egalitarian, he has shared knighthood with them, he's given them a common cause and he has made the greatest of them no better than the least. That's pretty amazing.

On the show, they really seemed to be going there, but this episode kind of just kills that.

Why couldn't they have Melisandre just convince, seduce, or lie to Gendry to make him come of his own free will? I don't really get it. Arya could even still blame Beric for letting Gendry leave, so it's not really a need to create Arya-BwB conflict, I think.

true, but...arya is the sister to the king in the north and the daughter of the man who sent them on their mission to begin with.

gendry is...just gendry

Precisely, the core philosophy of the brotherhood without banners is the defense of the commoners. They defend the smallfolk from both lions and wolves, and are motivated by the principles of equalty and honor. Not only that, the commoners heplp and shelter them, so, why are them in so dire need of money that they are selling they own people?

Nonsense. They have been reduced to a bunch of bandits with no honor that kidnap and steal for a living.

Edited by The hairy bear

what makes them "brothers"?? any evidence or behavior aside from basic survival skills?? the only good i see them doing is killing freys in future episodes.

they are just a bunch of outlaws...no loyalty to north or south..

In the book Beric knights them, they fight on behalf of the smallfolk, they try and hang war criminals from both sides, they attempt to mitigate the starvation and destruction caused by the war to the peasants, that's why when members die, new people join to replace them and why the smallfolk hide, protect and supply them. They ransom the highborn and use the money to help the peasants, not to enrich themselves.

I think they call themselves the Brotherhood without Banners because they lost the King's banner when first ambushed by the Mountain.

Edited by Cas Stark

They ransom the highborn and use the money to help the peasants, not to enrich themselves.

I think they call themselves the Brotherhood without Banners because they lost the King's banner when first ambushed by the Mountain.

thus the ransome of roberts bastard ...was it ok when arya was on the hit list??

They say they're brothers. They're a brotherhood. They protect one another, and they strive to protect the realm as best they can. Their loyalty is to the Seven Kingdoms. I mean, you can understand why these men follow Beric -- he has become egalitarian, he has shared knighthood with them, he's given them a common cause and he has made the greatest of them no better than the least. That's pretty amazing.

On the show, they really seemed to be going there, but this episode kind of just kills that.

Why couldn't they have Melisandre just convince, seduce, or lie to Gendry to make him come of his own free will? I don't really get it. Arya could even still blame Beric for letting Gendry leave, so it's not really a need to create Arya-BwB conflict, I think.

that would have worked also storywise, but same result....gendry = gold.

They ransom the highborn and use the money to help the peasants, not to enrich themselves.

thus the ransome of roberts bastard ...was it ok when arya was on the hit list??

They aren't ransoming him back to his family though are they? They SOLD him to Red Dress against his will, so there is no parallel, and he wanted to join the brotherhood so there is a betrayal there as well.

An uncle he doesn't know, and it's not clear they've been told he's related to Stannis, and in any case, again, it's clear their "brother" did not want to go.

It's a very, very different situation from the Arya thing.

So we are discussing the morality of the Brotherhood Without Banners? The same organization that soon will hang teenagers without cause under the leadership of UnCat... I don't think its member constitute the pinnacle of ethical behaviour, so this doesn't seem like such a stretch.

So we are discussing the morality of the Brotherhood Without Banners? The same organization that soon will hang teenagers without cause under the leadership of UnCat... I don't think its member constitute the pinnacle of ethical behaviour, so this doesn't seem like such a stretch.

Well, no one gets hung, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence against the "teenage" soldier and the brotherhood is currently not under the leadership of Lady Stoneheart but of Lord Beric, so what was your point again?

It's a shame the bwb in the show wasn't as 'brotherly' as in the book, but the reason that they let sold Gendry out was because Gendry is replacing Edric Storm in the show. It sucks, but whatever. I liked it better when I saw the show before I read the books, because now I know the differences like this one, and I makes me really upset.