How would you rate episode 306?

Ran

How would you rate episode 306?  

762 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I agree with most, I'd still rate it high compared a lot of TV, but within the series, it scores low. For me:

High points

- Arya, Maisie Williams continues to amaze

- Jamie/Brienne/Bolton - I love Jamie back to his old arrogant self with a bit of this new attitude, trying to save Brienne even if subtly.

- Theon/Boy, it must be a difficult scene to do but the acting is great.

- The Freys were well cast, and though I'm not sold on what they're doing with that story I actually loved Tobias Menzies in this scene.

- Tywin & Olena, the dialogue and actors made this scene amazing to watch, but I'm not keen on seeing the Queen of Thorns apparently outmanoeuvred in that fashion, even by Tywin.

Possible low points

- I think Ros started as a relatively unimportant narrative plot device in season one, so after building her into something more it just seemed a bit cheap killing her off before she had truly accomplished very much.

- Ygritte & Jon, I actually liked the suspense of the climb, but the smooching went over the line into cheesy for me.

- Sansa finding out - and them not showing us the awkward three-way dialogue?? Missed opportunity I think.

- The BWB selling Gendry out, I agree they could have done that differently, and its a shame really but I also don't think its quite as bad as people are suggesting.

All in all, I can live with the low points, and I'm sure it will pay off in the next few episodes.

I do not htink the BwB sold out Gendry. He was ransomed for gold. Same reason they are going to ransom Arya. For gold. They need gold to live and buy weapons and goods. Simple enough. Could it have been done better? Sure but remember we just have 10 little episodes to cram all of this in. And not a single episode yet has been a full hour. More like 45-50 mins. tops after the "previously on GOT", the opening theme, etc.

I do not htink the BwB sold out Gendry. He was ransomed for gold. Same reason they are going to ransom Arya. For gold. They need gold to live and buy weapons and goods. Simple enough. Could it have been done better? Sure but remember we just have 10 little episodes to cram all of this in. And not a single episode yet has been a full hour. More like 45-50 mins. tops after the "previously on GOT", the opening theme, etc.

Selling out by definition is doing something uncharacteristic for money.

But anyways, they gave up Gendry for God, plus there was some money in it. I thought they made that pretty clear.

this one feels different from prior episodes, due to a lot of odd deviations and additions this week, but also some wonderful scenes

Above all, there's way too much Littlefinger this season.

Obviously, he's being played so 'moany' that he sounds like he's ill.

but...

The bigger problem is that he needs to loom in the background until nearer the end of book3 - when his degree of involvement becomes a much more effective narrative weapon - particularly in the Eyrie scene(s).

As he is played in the show this season, you can almost hear him going "Mu-hahaha-ha-HAA!' every other line. It's rather corny and campy, and a real head-scratcher - as the actor was great in prior seasons.

I enjoyed The Wall scenes, and the scene of Roose, Jaime and Brienne. Maise Williams continues to kill it, although the motives of the BwB sort of suck now(agree w/ y'all),

and really wondering how Gendry is going to get back to save Brienne from Rorge

did not enjoy the Ramsay/Theon like i'd hoped. They're dwelling on it too long, and this Ramsay is not very scary. Twisted yes, a rapid fire archer, yes, but he looks rather small and almost pampered/emo. He should be more of a blood-drinking goth brute with delusions of grandeur, but whatever. Casting can't be ideal.

Did not enjoy 3 minutes of Sansa with Loras but only 3 seconds of her crying/realizing she has to marry Tyrion instead, while watching a ship go...where? Apparently Littlefinger is going to the Eyrie without her, while he's talking to Varys in the throneroom!... huh??

GREAT cinematography on the whole, if tepid. Nice balance and contrast from scene to scene. Acting and art dept. score fairly high, if not spectacular. Yunkai looks 'nice' from afar...

The quality of the writing, editing and direction, however, was a mixed bag.

all in all, a 6.5 so round up to a 7

Edited by Ser Shaft of Hightower

So many story lines butchered this episode. Robb heading towards the North so he can head west??? BWB selling Gendry? All capped off by over the top cheese-a-thon at the top of the wall. There were some very good moments as well but one of the weakest episodes.

He's going North so he can get the men to go West. It's not too complicated. :) In the books, he was heading North to get the men so he could go North, in the show, North to go West.

He's going North so he can get the men to go West. It's not too complicated. :) In the books, he was heading North to get the men so he could go North, in the show, North to go West.

Excuse me, but I don't recall Robb moving from Riverrun, in this episode. The only scene he was in was the one with the Freys, who rode from the Twins to Riverrun to discuss Walder's terms. Am I missing something?

Excuse me, but I don't recall Robb moving from Riverrun, in this episode. The only scene he was in was the one with the Freys, who rode from the Twins to Riverrun to discuss Walder's terms. Am I missing something?

Oh no he hasn't moved North yet, but he probably will. I assume he will begin his march in the next few episodes. It's hardly a ground-breaking change that alters the entire plotline.

This episode just felt like filler. The three proceeding episodes were amazing (they had their flaws, true but were still great) and then this...

I was just kind of surprised that D&D wrote this one. There were some great scenes, which many have already pointed out, but they failed to come together to make a great episode.

Also, not a huge fan of the whole Climb motif. My reasoning behind this is it took two great things from the book, Littlefinger and climbing the Wall and just, for a lack of a better word, Hollywooded them up. I mean, it's as if they thought just by having one forced tension/action sequence it rounds off the episode, when all it does is make is more contrived. Did anyone really think Jon Snow would fall off the Wall?

And Baelish, the most interesting character in the books, has been reduced to a caricature. He is overtly a bad guy, which while in truth he pretty much is, what made him so cool in the books is he never holds up sign saying "I'm Evil", but I guess the show need to apeal to as many people as possible.

A solid 7, because of the select few good scenes.

Edited by Turinsbane

Liked it, but not up to the last two epsiodes.

Did not care for BWB selling Gendry.

Olenna vs. Tywin: good, but not as good as I expected.

High points: Ramsay's true colors, Roose, Tyrion/Cersei, maybe Edmure marriage thingy. Other stuff pretty decent.

I wonder why they bothered w/ Roz if they were just going to kill her off? I thought they must be saving her up for something.

Gave it an 8.

Some good, some bad this episode. Overall more good than bad, much because of the emotional ending. Chemistry between the Jon and Ygritte actors has improved. Imo they couldn't have found a more fitting actor for Ygritte.

Sam's scene was well done as well.

Liked the "faceless foreshadowing" between Melisandre and Arya. And I liked "replacing" Edric by Gendry - just because I like it that the show has some suprises in store for me as a book reader that makes me wonder how all is going to be resolved in the future.

Theon's was the only awful scene. Not the actor's fault, just bad writing. I much more prefer to see nude tits in every show than overlong torture scenes in every show. Do it off screen.