[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

I'm watching this with a non-reader who just got into the show (we just watched seasons 1&2 right before 3 started). She had some pretty fun reactions to this episode.

Best reaction by far was to the Ros scene. She said she'd forgotten just what a sadistic little bastard he is. Now she's back to her season 1 mantra of "Joffrey needs to die".

She has no idea who Ramsay is or why he's tormenting Theon. She was believing the whole Karstark bit right along with Theon until Ramsay said he was lying.

She's starting to suspect that Roose is up to no good, but she doesn't suspect just how much.

She hates the Jon/Ygritte storyline, finds it completely dull and doesn't see the point. Though she got a good laugh out of the "You know nothing, Jon Sno- oooh!" last week.

They have no idea who Ramsay is.

My brother asked why Joffrey shot Ros and his wife replied that he is a psychotic wacko.

They did not remember that Gendry was Robert's bastard or that Mel and Stannis mentioned they needed kings blood.

I was asked if that was how Ros died in the books?

Mel and Thoros should team up.

Littlefinger obviously wanted the IT. He'd been looking at it since season 1.

Did your friend/family notice that each time he's been shown looking at it, he's a little bit closer?

Like.

My sister hopes Gendry becomes King at the end.

She also thinks Theon's sister set Ramsay on him, but she hopes not.

She thinks something bad is going to happen at Joffrey's wedding, because they're building him up to be so horrible.

She hopes Jaime gets free. She thinks Brienne is going to fight her way out of Harrenhal (I had to hold in my glee).

She hopes Edmure likes Roslin.

She thinks Jon is going to betray the wildlings at some point and that some of them will die, but she doesn't know which ones (She doesn't want Ygritte to die). ::sad face::

She thinks Arya is going to find a way to kill the hound (and she'll just say it's an accident). I'm laughing so hard right now.

She thinks that when Robb takes Casterly Rock and they'll celebrate (and she hopes we'll get another song then).

Wow. It's so hard not saying anything.

A guy I work with who hasn't read the books was telling me that his favorite character is Robb and that he loves the direction they are taking with him. And I quote "Well, they have to show him making mistakes but facing them valiantly because he is clearly going to be the king of Westeros. Without him facing challenges he wouldn't be good king, would he?". It was very hard to mumble a response and escape that conversation without giving anything away.

I think there's too much info to digest in the show to notice the small details unless you look very hard for them (as obvious as they may seem to us readers).

The x is a symbol for House Bolton, true, but it is also a natural and logical formation for a device you wish to hang a body upon since it spreads the body evenly and still supports the back. It has been used plenty times before it was used in Game of Thrones. It's clever, but not necessarily something that sticks out if you have seen other films where bodies have been hung in the same manner.

God, these comments remind me of a girl I know who loves the show and was telling me "I hope the hot one doesn't die." I said "Could you be more specific?", and she said something like "Robb, the King in the North." I felt so bad and kept my mouth shut.

I didn't see Robb's death coming while reading the books either. And I must say, my reaction was NOT a good one once the dagger twisted. I had to stop reading.... wait, and then reread that part to make sure I didn't miss something. I hope the TV viewers have a similar reaction.

I am actually surprised people are not guessing that the Boy is a Bolton. The Bolton Banner with a man in a X cross (the position Theon is in) has been flown everywhere this season.

I don't even register those details while watching. I'm usually too busy taking in the characters and dialog.

So, don't be surprised that non-readers don't catch the Flayed Man being the Bolton sigil, let along that The Boy is the same "hunter" Roose referenced as his son a few weeks ago. Last night was the first real overt sign that Roose may not have Robb's interests completely in mind. Your average viewer may not know how long Roose has been plotting. And we only have a fortnight until the wedding. That's a lot of pieces that need to be secretly put in place by then.

Joffrey is horrible.

Still completely confused about "Boy" and I finally couldn't resist and told all of them to pay attention to the dern sigils b/c they are dropping the Bolton banner and waving it in front of their faces so much that I thought for sure they'd make that connection last night. Nope.

Also they think Mel is going to make shadow babies with Gendry. :ack:

Also, they are really disappointed that Jaime is leaving Brienne behind. I can't wait for that one to play out.

I am actually surprised people are not guessing that the Boy is a Bolton. The Bolton Banner with a man in a X cross (the position Theon is in) has been flown everywhere this season.

Well, for us book nerds it's obvious. But people who just watch the show casually, have actually a good deal of details to remember. I doubt anyone who watched the show once remembers now that Roose mentioned his "bastard at the Dreadfort" in season 2. In fact, after half a year of waiting for another season, most people seeing for example Robb, Roose and Karstark are like "ok, the hot one was that north king guy, and the other 2 no idea". Simply remembering the names of characters is difficult for average viewers, and it doesn't have anything to do with being smart, it's just a shitload of details for people who watch 10 hours of episodes every 8 months.

Archived