[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

WinterKing

It's so annoying that so many people don't know who Roose bolton is!!

I asked my sister ''what do you think of Roose bolton'' and she said ''who is that?''

It pisses me off because apparently she is ''obsessed'' with the show so much that she has a ''Winter is coming'' phone case and wants to get a Direwolf tattoo and yet she really knows hardly anything about any of the characters???

So my slightly unsullied other half's responses:

Robb's story was surprisingly good, he's normally as dull as ditch water. Getting his general to marry someone, by saying he'll owe him big time.

He got mixed up if Jon was Robb during the Wall climb.

Thought Jaime having to have his food cut up was really funny.

I honestly think they haven't done a great job of making clear who the characters are, a lot of them really are just a bunch of grey, dirty guys in similar clothes. I had a hard time figuring out Roose Bolton and I know the story!

My husband doesn't know who the guy torturing Theon is, but he frankly doesn't care about that story line so he's not paying huge attention to it. and frankly, I agree with him... in the show it seems odd and out of place and takes up a lot of time.

On the other hand he also thinks Jamie and Brienne are gonna get together, he thinks there are gonna be a lot more shadow babies out of the red woman and I think he thinks that Tyrion is gonna end up king or with all the power. He also think Robb & Edmure are just comic relief at this point.

the funniest thing that happened during this last episode, though not having to do with a prediction, was when Gilly asked Sam to sing for her & the baby, my husband started singing "soft kitty, warm kitty..." (any other Big Bang fans?) which totally cracked me up. :laugh: He could couldn't care less about the Sam storyline either.

Regarding Theon/Boy: I'm not sure many people even know what flaying is. That process is typically just called skinning, I don't think it's common to use the term flay.

And I can't imagine the average watcher is going to remember what the sigils are, hell i glossed over them while reading.

I watch with two friends and they have no idea who Boy could be.

One proclaimed about Joff "I can't wait for that f'er to die". It's wishful thinking on his part, but it's so hard not to tip my hand!

I asked my sister ''what do you think of Roose bolton'' and she said ''who is that?''

It pisses me off because apparently she is ''obsessed'' with the show so much that she has a ''Winter is coming'' phone case and wants to get a Direwolf tattoo and yet she really knows hardly anything about any of the characters???

you just described both my sister and husband. its worse in his case because I explain who roose bolton is on a weekly basis, but that doesn't stop him asking again every week who he is. The show isn't nearly as complicated as the books, I don't understand how people can't keep up with it. Harrenhall, too. He still doesn't know what and where Harrenhall is.

Why do people have such little patience? It's as if whenever something isn't immediately fascinating, their attention starts to wander. How depressing. Don't they understand the concept of building up to something? No wonder people whine about foreplay so much :P

Its the reason that Michael Bay's movies are so popular. It's really annoying that these days most people aren't even capable of finishing a book since they don't have the attention span. If something isn't exploding or showing boobies, they have no interest. I watch every week with two "fans" who post quotes and memes on facebook and say theycan't wait for the next episode, yet while watching it, the second people start having dialogue or doing anything that doesn't involve fighting or fucking, they aren't watching. So as a result, I have to explain over and over who roose bolton, the karstarks, talisa, etc are. I don't know why people like that even bother watching.

So as a result, I have to explain over and over who roose bolton, the karstarks, talisa, etc are. I don't know why people like that even bother watching.

That's easy. Because it's a popular show and lots of people feel they should watch / listen to / wear whatever is popular at the time without giving any proper thought to it.

They tend not to know the names (my mom even asked "who's Littlefinger?") but it's easy to overestimate the importance of the names - they tend to know the character when they see him, what he's doing, what he stands for (or appears to stand for) etc.

Gloss over apples, towers, flowers etc, sure, but gloss over a flayed man?

I am guessing most don't even know what the hell it is on the show. I pointed out the flayed man when the standard was prominently in the background for a scene with Roose and my brother and sister-in-law and they had no idea what I was talking about.

They have no idea who Ramsay is.

Not surprised since they didn't show Ramsay riding into Winterfell and capturing Theon. Last we saw, he got knocked on the head by his own men who then said 'Let's go home' despite the fact that there were supposed to be 500 loyal northerners outside.

They did not remember that Gendry was Robert's bastard or that Mel and Stannis mentioned they needed kings blood.

They could have put in just one line about needing to find someone with king's blood...

I am guessing most don't even know what the hell it is on the show. I pointed out the flayed man when the standard was prominently in the background for a scene with Roose and my brother and sister-in-law and they had no idea what I was talking about.

I agree. My mother saw the saint andrew's cross in the banner and connected it to the one Theon was strapped to. She had no idea that the sigil was supposed to be a flayed man. If I hadn't known from reading the books I wouldn't know what it was just by looking either.

I guess it was a bit of a throwaway comment but at one point Jaime looks at Locke's banner and says something like "the FLAYED MAN of House Bolton, huh?" Unless you re-watch the episode it's easy to miss stuff like that, since there's a lot of other stuff to take in.

Of course, a lot of people probably don't know what flaying is. Lucky them!! the things ASOIAF have caught me~

Did you even tell her that he's your waifu?? Maybe that would help...

Lol, Roose deserves far more attention given his role in the future. But to be fair, he isn't really that memorable right now. I can understand their exclusion of the leeches, as it might seem a bit goofy, but it would have been a good way to make him stand out. His full name has only been mentioned once, IIRC, and even then, he is only mentioned by name sparingly. To be honest, I only read the books after season 2, and I had no idea he was supposed to be Roose Bolton. He seemed like an okay guy, and I was actually rooting for this bastard son of his to retake Winterfell. Oh, how wrong I was :lol:

It's only in these last 2 episodes where people have started to notice him, especially after his awesomely sadistic tormenting of Jaime last week. Let's hope he continues to show more personality(or lack of personality, in Roose's case) in the upcoming weeks.

I'm gutted.

My wife left the room after the Ros scene and said that's it. I'm not watching this any more.. and has since refused to even talk about it.

She's not a massive fan of torture (who is, right ?) so the Theon stuff she just simply hates. Then when she saw that i think it just tipped her over the edge. She was visibly upset, bless her, and now says she finds the whole programme a bit 'pervy'.

She won't watch it and now she says she doesn't even want to know what's gonna happen !?! With me loving the whole thing as much as I do,I 've kind of taken it a bit personally. You know what it's like watching it witha non-reader. I don't have that any more.

Gutted

I don't think you have been paying attention to these threads. the majority of the unsullied suspect something is going to happen, the 3 people I watch the show with are predicting that he will be ambushed on the way to the wedding, or poisoned at the affair itself.

Anyone who has watched this series, regardless of their experience with the books, would not have to try very hard not to put together what is going to happen with very little critical thought. The way the Frey's were portrayed this week alone tipped the hand.

I think gammaerys has been paying attention, actually. These threads are not about the Unsullied over at TWoP, if that's to whom you are referring. These are about every day people we know who casually watch the show and don't over analyze it. You don't have to "try very hard not to put together what is going to happen", and that sounds a bit self-righteous. Fact is, a lot of casual viewers don't have an idea, and that's fun for some of us.

This! I explicitly pointed my parents in the direction of this one, so they re-watched it and they still didn't get it. They said that all they saw was an X. Apparently, both of them need their eyes checked since they totally missed the man on the X. :dunno:

This morning my Dad told me some people are going to die, but when I asked which ones he really didn't have an answer. He just hopes that Joffrey will die soon and wants to know if Robb will take over Casterly Rock.

My youngest brother has only read the books halfway book 3 (it's divided into 2 parts in Belgium). He has no clue Robb is about to die. Ofcourse, he's suspicious, but he's suspicious of everything that's going on. It's GOT after all. But he thinks Robb is going to take Casterly Rock.

I haven't talked about it after last episode though. I don't want to bring Robb too much to his attention. When I was reading the books my oldest brother was asking after Robb all the time. Obviously something big was going to happen. That's also the brother that pretty much spoiled Ned's death for. "Dude, you should read these books! They're really good and in the first book, the main character dies!"

:bang:

Archived