[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

The scene is framed from the perspective of the male gaze, so it definitely is sexualised. And completely unnecessary too - we already knew Joffrey and Littlefinger's "true colours".

Why do you say it was sexualized? Because she was female? Because Joffrey shot her in the groin? (He also shot her in just about every other part of her body in case you didn't notice) ... there was no need to 'sexualize' the scene whatsoever. The fact it wasn't showing any nudity or sexual overtones (you didn't see Joffrey unclothed or even suggesting anything sexual in his mannerism) made it all the more chilling and super creepy. Sexual? No.

Someone said it was oversexualized in the rating the ep thread. :ack: and yes thats the impression i got. Poor Ros. I was just hoping she would vanish from the story once her role was done. Like she would end up sorta the Lollys role, where she marries Bronn or some junk and they leave the story for a while.

Yes, poor Ros. :(

The scene is framed from the perspective of the male gaze, so it definitely is sexualised. And completely unnecessary too - we already knew Joffrey and Littlefinger's "true colours".

It had a sexual undertone insofar that she was a whore hired for his pleasure, that only made it more chilling. It wasn't necessarily sexualised though. In fact, it wasn't at all. There was nothing sexy or attractive about her death, it was highly disturbing and also really quite sad.

I don't particularly have a problem with it, yes it was awful, but that's what happens to the poor smallfolk, especially women, when they try to play the game.

And actually no, the series has been spectacularly bad at showing LF to be the sinister puppet master for the last 2 seasons. He was better this episode than he has been since season 1.

I really don't get why so many people are jumping on the 'over-sexualized' and 'misogyny' bandwagon so much in this series - I really don't, other than the fact that "Rape Culture" is the new flavor of the year platform for many and it's getting over exaggerated in media examples. I am not dismissing there's definitely a ton of sexual overtones in modern American culture and television - but this show is based on a series of books that were far more brutal and sexual and the author started writing over 20 years ago ... so it's stretching things a bit thin to constantly be raging on about the sexual overtones when that's kinda what the books (and the series) were about - along with brutal war and politics. For this particular series and books, they are adult themed and being shown on an adult pay cable channel. This isn't really something people should be nitpicking to death ... otherwise why are you watching (or reading) this epic saga in the first place if you disagree with the overtones of sex and violence? Sorry, not trying to derail the original topic about poor Ros but it's getting hard to intelligently debate many of the topics on this forum with so much of that 'oversexualized' stuff flying around. As soon as anyone disagrees with it, they're accused of being sexist or crude or wrong somehow. There's way too much sex bashing going on for a series that's heavily rooted in that to begin with from the books.

Oh. Rape Culture is definitely a massive problem in our world. It IS a real issue and shouldn't be trivialised. However, I agree with you, I didn't find this shot of ros to be attractive or sexy in anyway, it was not there to sexually excite the viewers, it was disturbing and sad.

I think that they wanted to start making good on Varys's claim about Littlefinger. I've seen several people saying that they believed him after the end of this episode.

I think that it also is to set up his treatment of Lysa later. It'll be in character for him to use her and toss her aside when she becomes a problem/ of no use, because we've seen it with Ros.

this was what i posted on tumblr about this scene:

oh, for fucks sake.

Ros’ death on Game of Thrones is not sexualised at all. it has sexual undertones insofar that she was a whore hired for joffrey’s pleasure. note she is clothed, this proves joffrey is a pure sadist, this is not a sexual kink for him, he just enjoys inflicting pain on others. does a woman’s body always have to mean sex? this shot was NOT put there to sexually excite viewers, it is not sexy or attractive in any possible way, it is fucking DISTURBING. and im a pretty strident feminist, but i’m gonna say get off your damn high horses and take another look at the shot. if you think it’s sexy it says more about you than it does about the writers. they essentialy wrote themselves into a corner with this character and needed a way to just kill her off. i had assumed she’d take on dontos’ role, but i think her death effectively proves you don’t fuck with LF (who has been, up until this point, pretty pathetic and hilarious this season and even last season. good to see his ”true colours” again) and also to show us marg really isn’t taming joffrey, he’s still a little monster. i never liked ros as a character, so all the people screaming that this was some sort of sick fan service need to take a step back maybe, i was always pretty anti-ros and i got absolutely no pleasure from this shot. it was horrible and disturbing and it made me feel sad for the character.

it’s only sexualisation if it was put there to sexually excite. well, it didn’t sexually excite me.

:rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure about the "male gaze," something I haven't even heard of until today, but I don't think it's a totally invalid argument. Like I mentioned earlier, I had a creepy classmate who thought she looked sexy as hell "even dead" and that he'd "fuck the shit out of her" or whatever nonsense it was.

But people like that could just be acting super creepy....it doesn't necessarily mean that it was shot with the "male gaze." What would have been a less...male gazey way to do it, exactly, Patrick? If she was totally naked with the arrows in her I think the complaint might be more meaningful, but she was just dead...just curious what made it have the "male gaze."

Archived