[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

Oh, I forgot about him. Although, he gets raised to a Lord, so I'm not sure he really counts either.

True, but right now he can't even read so he's pretty low born compared to a lot of people around him.

Overall, I wasn't really a fan of Ros. Nice caring girl but she felt unnecessary to me most of the time.

However, the way she died was pretty horrible. If there was some mercy it'd be better. This is Joffrey we're talking about so that kind of death was expected in a way.

I don't care what anyone else says about this or that, I was upset... Actually, more shocked than upset. I haven't been shocked by any events in this show since I read the books. It's nice to know D&D have a stroke of GRRM's genius inside of them.

Not a huge fan of Ros but I gotta say i'm a bit disappointed with her death. Its kind of a "adding insult to injury" type thing. First we had to deal with Ros for two seasons with her character not really serving any purpose. Then just as it seems like they're writing in a use for her she just ends up as Joff target practice. Maybe the actor had some real life opportunities come up suddenly? She did a decent job with the character even if the writer's couldn't really figure out what to do with her. Also, less nudity now with no Ros :( ... actually I think this might of been the first episode this season with zero nudity... maybe all the prudes complaining in the states are finally getting to D&D... soon we'll be fading to black on gore scenes or something, imagines ned's final scene hah, or fade to black before Jamie gets his hand chopped off and he shows up next episode with a spiffy clean stump.

I don't care what anyone else says about this or that, I was upset... Actually, more shocked than upset. I haven't been shocked by any events in this show since I read the books. It's nice to know D&D have a stroke of GRRM's genius inside of them.

Me neither, I mean, it's hard to surprise when your viewers know what will happen. I liked to get shocked again. I was shocked the first season as I hadn't read the books by then, but not since... hehe.

I guess I should have seen that she was doomed once she joined with Varys, but I didn't. A eunuch visiting a brothel would be remarked, and given their internal rivalry Littlefinger would have gotten suspicious right away. I just hoped he would consider Ros more valuable as a money funnel to him in the Vale, as he had groomed her for such a role, than a security leak he had to eliminate when he could no longer keep her in check. Knowing Littlefinger, he probably had her questioned beforehand,just to make certain how much Varys had found out, or if there even was a connection between the two.

I still miss her though, her scenes got much better when she kept her clothes on.

Poor Ros. I have little to no respect for anyone who actively cheered when they saw that.

Oh, good, not everybody hates her character as much as to actually cheer. Even if you wanted her out, cheering at that scene? Seriously? It was a brutal death.

Honestly, I never loved or hated her. She was basically a tool to develop other characters, so I never expected much there. But that's what her death was used to as well.

We have been watching Margaery basically tame Joffrey for the last episodes, so if the Tyrells just killed him anyways, it wouldn't make any sense. They had to clearly show that Joffrey's lunatic side cannot be contained that easily. And I'm guessing Littlefinger himself will make sure they hear about it, since he's the one who spreads the rumor that the boy is crazy in the books.

So I get why they killed her, but it was still kind of a shock the way they did it.

(By the way, I'm not calling the show misogynistic. Joffrey, though, yeah. People should understand a show is not misogynistic just because a character is)

Loras, since he likes brooches and pins so much.

:lol:

Ros.. Meh. I never liked her, I thought she was just a way of HBO filling their boob quota. She got better since she started working for Varys, but I wondered why Varys didn't consider the possibility of LF finding out. Neither man is stupid, at least in the books. I won't say I cheered at the way she died because I don't think that reaction is appropriate, but I do think being glad she's gone is fine. I couldn't see where they were going with her character, as replacing Ser Dontos would be impossible since she started working for Varys, so she had to go one way or another, and this way furthers Joffrey's sadism and plants the seed for naming Loras to the Kingsguard in Margaery's mind, as well as the PW.

I am a book reader, I love the books, and I think that what the show did to Ros was not only shocking and saddening but also kind of crossed a line for me.

I personally liked Ros a lot, but even if you didn't, I hope you agree with the following.

In the books, important characters are treated with a certain amount of respect. Usually not by other characters and certainly not by fate or circumstances, but by the narrative. Random peasants have their own motivations and backstories. Raving misogynists have their own rationale for why they act the way they do. The reason we so often say that "there are no good guys and no bad guys" is because of this narrative respect for characters which allows them to be 3-dimensional.

In that same vein, some characters who reach a certain critical mass of evil actions run into consequences down the road; I see this as narrative respect for their victims. And important characters with a certain degree of goodness may die, but their deaths are handled in a respectful way. That doesn't mean their deaths are clean or painless, but the way their deaths are told to us does have an artistry and classiness to it. Ned dies in a horrible way, but the way its written about and filmed gives due attention. I think the same can be said for Jory, Sansa's septa, the Old Bear, and many other characters that have died in the show.

Not so much for Ros. Sure, she's not in the book, but she is in the show quite a lot. She's fairly developed as a character, and unless you just carry a lot of irrational rage against every character who isn't in the books, I think she's pretty sympathetic.

But she dies:

1) offscreen

2) after being tortured

3) at the hands of Joff

4) after already being abused by Lanisters previously

5) after Varys said he'd protect her

6) without him (Varys) having a clue that it was happening

I think the offscreen part is really the killer for me. Did I particularly want to see more torture after the Theon bit? Not really. But I didn't want someone as important as Ros to be killed so horribly off screen. I don't think that's respectful to her character. It makes me really, really angry. This actually makes me angrier than Talisa's presence, and that's saying a lot. My interest level in the show just went down because if D&D can make a misstep that huge I'm terrified of what they'll do in the future.

I understand that characters die, violently, unfairly, in a lot of pain, all the time on the show. That's not my problem. In fact I think LF finding out Ros and disposing of her makes perfect narrative sense. But I think it was handled atrociously, as if Ros was just some whore who didn't matter at all.

Archived