[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

I know he said "fringe sleeves" but Loras' mangled pronunciation making it sound just like "French" bugs the hell out of me, haha.

I can't be the one who though Sansa saying "Will they let me invite my family?" was just incredibly ridiculous, right? There is a freaking war going on....

yessss this "gee can my family that's in open rebellion to the throne/committing high treason come to my wedding???"

By this point in the books Sansa was actually wising up a bit. I'm not one of those ITS NOT LIKE THE BOOKS I HATE IT types at all but it just made her seem like she hasn't grown as a person at all since season 1 when she totally has, even if it's just in little ways.

I can't be the one who though Sansa saying "Will they let me invite my family?" was just incredibly ridiculous, right? There is a freaking war going on....

Nope you are not the only one. They are taking away all character growth from Sansa. If they wanted to show how she is still wistful and dreamy they could have just changed the line a little for her to say something like, "I only wish my family could come" and being sad because she knows that cannot be, or something like that which would still get the point across that she misses her family without making Sansa seem like an idiot.

Read the title of the thread again. People here love the TV show, but we also love the books. We have many favourite quotes and scenes from the books that we wish to see in the show. When we don't see them and instead see something that sometimes is not as good, or see our favourite characters acting in a different way, then we feel disappointed. Some changes are fine, but some make really little sense. So we come here, take out everything that is bothering us, feel better, and then continue with our lives. If you can't stand nitpicks, then this thread isn't for you. Just don't read it. Go to any of the other threads. There are many threads where you can argue and say that the changes were good. This is the only place where we can freely complain.

I don't disagree that this isn't the thread for me. I'm a very upbeat, laid back person and I typically focus on the cool stuff that is there than the small stuff that needed to be changed for TVs sake. I've read the books twice and I've also listened to Roy Dotrice on the audio books. This is probably my favorite book series of all time. I just get that no adaptation can be made without changes. And IMO, they've done a great job not only keeping almost everything in tact, but they also added some much needed drama to certain plot threads that needed them and they also try to throw in easter eggs for the book readers were they can as well.

Also, to be honest, most of the time, reading any thread in this forum is like reading the nitpick thread... lol. It seems most of the posters here have unrealistic expectations.

The whole Mel grabbing Gendry instead of Edric. Way to write your way out of a hole by digging a new one.

Barely any screen time for Davos.

The way they informed Sansa of the wedding.

I'm sorry, I'm watching the whole series thinking Loras was already a kingsguard.

Where are the Kettlebacks?

The whole Frey thing seems small. In the book it was a big thing throughout.

How they handled Cat.

I hate tourmund's personality, i understand that he is merged with the magnar of thenn... But he's nothing like the character in the book.

I thought the creators of the tv series were filming half of SoS so that they could take their time... Well why does everything feel rushed?

Varys' ineptitude.

Little Finger being this absolute villain.

Re: Queen of Thorns- I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post if there's another more relevant thread, please kindly direct me thanks.

The Queen of Thorns screen time and role has been a bit overstated for me as I’ve read the books first and with them being canon I am always comparing the TV show with them, I know how the story pans out so am tracking the TV Show along the route.

I enjoyed her repartee with Varys a couple of weeks ago and Tywin this week ("A sword swallower through and through") but I think she’s getting a bit too much sceen time ahead of other characters and the scene with her last week was just silly, as if she was more wittier than Tyrion! Just my opinion though.

Ok just watched the episode...... you people don't know how to complain, only five pages? what a shame.... :P

The show is making it too hard for me to nitpick since there are just many changes at this point, but I'll try my best!

- The whole Meera/Osha cat fight. Really? I don't even find it interesting. Is this to explain why Osha and Rickon separate? So Bran is just gonna let Rickon go alone with Osha just because Meera and her fight all the time? Right.....

- Jojen has seizures.

- Jon is more afraid than Ygritte about climbing the Wall. Ygritte doesn't cry, and no mention of the Horn of Joramund.

- The BWB not objecting to Mel. Now I like them way less than in the books.

- Ramsay's voice. Really I just cannot take him seriously with that voice.

- Theon not guessing he is in the Dreadfort, come on you're being flayed! is not that hard!

- Blackfish forcing Edmure and acting like an asshole. How can he force Edmure to marry when he never did it himself?

- What did they do to my Tywin and my Joff? :crying: Tywin shouldn't be so open, and Joff is not that sick.

- Tyrion telling Sansa about her wedding with him, and then not even showing him saying it.

- Sansa and her "would they let me invite my family?". Poor Sansa, this is why everybody hates her.

On the bright side did I hear a little Har! from Tormund?? Please tell me I did.

Nope you are not the only one. They are taking away all character growth from Sansa. If they wanted to show how she is still wistful and dreamy they could have just changed the line a little for her to say something like, "I only wish my family could come" and being sad because she knows that cannot be, or something like that which would still get the point across that she misses her family without making Sansa seem like an idiot.

this was so idiotic I thought I was understanding it wrong (sansa's line)

By this point in the books Sansa was actually wising up a bit. I'm not one of those ITS NOT LIKE THE BOOKS I HATE IT types at all but it just made her seem like she hasn't grown as a person at all since season 1 when she totally has, even if it's just in little ways.

Nope you are not the only one. They are taking away all character growth from Sansa.

I dislike Sansa in the books, but S3 TV of her is making even me mad.

Didn't like Thoros and Beric being complicit in Melisandre taking Gendry. I think that's a real missed opportunity to show the two separate ways they worship R'hllor. They even set it up with Thoros saying they practiced their faith differently but then suddenly they're all buddy-buddy with one another. It's like D+D think all Red Priests are all on the same page. Do they just not get subtleties or do they not think we'll get them?

Yes! Thoros attempted to talk how his love for a friend (Berric) might have played a part in his ressurections, but that drowned into selling their almost-brother away.

Oh and i cant stand that Lord Bolton doesn't whisper. It bothers me that i can understand him.

The worst scene of Roose so far. Even his supposed joke about Jaime "overplaying his... hand position" was with no subtlety.

Yes, I am a horrible not-a-fan of this episode :P

you would think Theon could guess the bastard of Bolton as his identity while being FLAYED.

:lmao:

Nitpicks...This is the episode most heavily deviated from the books and is no surprise is really the worst so far. Given how crappy the episode was there's so many nitpicks, but this ones I found to be the worst:

- Tyrion's whitewashing. Where is the morally ambiguous character from the books?

- Cersei's whitewashing. When she starts screwing up later on, will they put the blame on Tommen as well?

- Brotherhood selling Gendry. I don't mind so much Gendry taking Edric's place but I agree with others that this was a missed opportunity to showcase that not all R'hllor worshipers operate the same way.

- Loras. Do they google up most common gay stereotypes and cliches to based the character on this? Loras' characterization is bordering in offensive.

- Sansa's growing stupidity as opposed to her character growth in the books. Will my family come to my wedding? :bang:

- Ygritte telling Jon I knew you were always a crow but now is us against the world. Also, we get a kiss instead of a mention of the Horn of Joranum?

- Sam and Gilly and the nursery behind the wall scene. No sense of danger whatsoever,

Not a fan of this episode by a longshot

While I don't mind Gendry being 'the last Baratheon Bastard' and being used to replace Edric, the whole Mel suddenly appears at the secret lair was a bit WTF.

Did like the BwB being shown as not quite the 'Good Guy' Robin Hood type. No one is pure as driven snow in this world.

Got some issues with the Tywin/Olenna scene - like how was Tywin supposed to force the heir to Highgarden into the KG without Olenna putting up a fight? Sure they had a bit of cut-and-thrust going on, but as others have said, it seemed the cards were put on the table too quickly.

Didn't really feel that the Ygritte 'betrayal' speech really gelled - mainly because they just haven't developed Jon's story very well.

Ros - the shoddy demise of a shoddy character. Just as they were finally giving some justification for her existence, they give her the chop after doing one job.

- Sansa's growing stupidity as opposed to her character growth in the books. Will my family come to my wedding? :bang:

seriously, how did this even make it in the script...??? her FAMILY??? WHO??? Robb?? The people the Lannisters are at war with???? What in the hell is she even talking about??

Got some issues with the Tywin/Olenna scene - like how was Tywin supposed to force the heir to Highgarden into the KG without Olenna putting up a fight? Sure they had a bit of cut-and-thrust going on, but as others have said, it seemed the cards were put on the table too quickly.

Aerys does the same thing when he names Jaime to the King's guard to spite Tywin.

seriously, how did this even make it in the script...??? her FAMILY??? WHO??? Robb?? The people the Lannisters are at war with???? What in the hell is she even talking about??

She was talking to Loras. A Tyrell. About their eventual wedding at Highgarden. And again, it was likely meant to relay the fact that she's comfortable speaking openly with the Tyrells. Her auto-response has always been "My brother and mother are traitors".

I don't disagree that this isn't the thread for me. I'm a very upbeat, laid back person and I typically focus on the cool stuff that is there than the small stuff that needed to be changed for TVs sake. I've read the books twice and I've also listened to Roy Dotrice on the audio books. This is probably my favorite book series of all time. I just get that no adaptation can be made without changes. And IMO, they've done a great job not only keeping almost everything in tact, but they also added some much needed drama to certain plot threads that needed them and they also try to throw in easter eggs for the book readers were they can as well.

Also, to be honest, most of the time, reading any thread in this forum is like reading the nitpick thread... lol. It seems most of the posters here have unrealistic expectations.

It's good that you only focus in the good. I wish I could be a better person, but alas, I'm not. I on the other hand focus on both, bad and good. I don't think complaints are that bad. I see complaints as things that can be improved. Someone complained about something, so he decided to find a way to make things easier and better. Someone heard people complaining about something, so he decided to make an invention that would help. Our whole society has improved thanks to complaints. If people just focused in the good, were conformist, and told each other to just deal with it, then we would still live in caves.

I think they've done a very good job with the adaptation. But we can't deny they've had mistakes, and that some changes weren't good. It's not possible to make a 100% true adaptation, but it is possible to make a closer adaptation that what they've done. Yes, many here have very high expectations, but what's wrong with that? My father always told me that if I was going to do something, I should aspire to do my best, otherwise, then why botter? What's wrong with expecting things to be great? Has our society sunk so low that we can only aspire to have something good, ok, or just not terribly bad?

Well the thing is that in those other threads, you can tell people that they are complaining too much, tell them to stop whining about tiny things, and argue that the canges where very good, or even better than the book version. This is not the place for that.

She was talking to Loras. A Tyrell. About their eventual wedding at Highgarden. And again, it was likely meant to relay the fact that she's comfortable speaking openly with the Tyrells. Her auto-response has always been "My brother and mother are traitors".

She was talking to Shae. And the point is that she should realize that her family cannot atend the wedding since they are at war. She saying that was very dumb. Sansa is supposed to grow wiser, not dumber.

Archived