[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Note that Jaime wanted in to the Kingsguard, though. There's not much sense to the idea that you can force someone to say the vows. Hell... this very episode has Edmure say that no one can compell a man to wed. Which is, really, meaning that no one can compel you to swear holy vows, whether of matrimony or of the Kingsguard.

So it's all a bit nonsensical, on that level. So they want to say that in show canon, yes, someone can be forced into the Kingsguard and will have no choice... well, fine. But I would have liked Olenna to muse aloud about whatever became of the last man who took a lord's heir away from him by naming him to the Kingsguard... That argument really should have gone on longer, really.

Besides, when Aerys made Jaime part of the KG, there wasn't a war goin on and there wasn't much Tywin could do. In Loras' case, the Tyrells can just imply they'd join the Starks if Tywin pushes them on this, and he can't do anything.

Ah of course in real life, you see? You think Joffrey is just going to accept that? Don't you think he is going to chop off their heads and put them in pikes as soon as they put a foot in KL? He is the King, and Robb is a traitor, who can say no? You think Robb is gonna leave all his war affairs just to go to Sansa's wedding and then just leave to continue the war, and just leave her in the paws of the Lions? Right.....

If Robb were dumb enough to show up at the wedding, and I wouldn't put it past him, Joff would give him a big red smile courtesy of Heart Eater, or maybe give him a real close look at the new crossbow.

One nice thing about last night's episode, it showed Joff as much more of a bad ass. I hope we get to see more of that.

Ok just watched the episode...... you people don't know how to complain, only five pages? what a shame.... :P

The show is making it too hard for me to nitpick since there are just many changes at this point, but I'll try my best!

- The whole Meera/Osha cat fight. Really? I don't even find it interesting. Is this to explain why Osha and Rickon separate? So Bran is just gonna let Rickon go alone with Osha just because Meera and her fight all the time? Right.....

- Jojen has seizures.

- Jon is more afraid than Ygritte about climbing the Wall. Ygritte doesn't cry, and no mention of the Horn of Joramund.

- The BWB not objecting to Mel. Now I like them way less than in the books.

- Ramsay's voice. Really I just cannot take him seriously with that voice.

- Theon not guessing he is in the Dreadfort, come on you're being flayed! is not that hard!

- Blackfish forcing Edmure and acting like an asshole. How can he force Edmure to marry when he never did it himself?

- What did they do to my Tywin and my Joff? :crying: Tywin shouldn't be so open, and Joff is not that sick.

- Tyrion telling Sansa about her wedding with him, and then not even showing him saying it.

- Sansa and her "would they let me invite my family?". Poor Sansa, this is why everybody hates her.

On the bright side did I hear a little Har! from Tormund?? Please tell me I did.

I agree with everything you said, esp about Ramsay! I nitpicked about this over on the Roose Bolton board. Everyone loves Ramsay on the show so I'm totally in the minority when I say I don't. It's like a weird little school boy vice or something. His demeanor, everything about him I cannot take seriously.

The seizing Jojen thing was a major wtf moment.

I totally tilted my head at the screen when Sansa asked that question.

I think you're the first person ever to say "my Joff" lol. But this is the point I was trying to make in my previous posts... he's totally sick and sadistic and evil but I don't think he would have the guts to kill someone HIMSELF.

Thank you for reminding me of the Horn. Totally forgot about that!

The Blackfish is cool and all but it irritates me how mean he is to Edmure.

Theon is basically the emblem for House Bolton, by now I hope the unsullied watchers have guessed where he is by now. Either way, this whole Where is Theon/Who is that guy thing is dragging on way too long.

If Robb were dumb enough to show up at the wedding, and I wouldn't put it past him, Joff would give him a big red smile courtesy of Heart Eater, or maybe give him a real close look at the new crossbow.

One nice thing about last night's episode, it showed Joff as much more of a bad ass. I hope we get to see more of that.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/4/47725/1696682-fry1.jpg

I think you're the first person ever to say "my Joff" lol. But this is the point I was trying to make in my previous posts... he's totally sick and sadistic and evil but I don't think he would have the guts to kill someone HIMSELF.

If people would give another thought to TV Joffrey (other than that they just hate him), I think they should wonder as to just how he became who he is? In the books we have Cersei being active with him and doing some of the worst things TV Joffrey is doing now. He looks a little bit like a prop on screen. Just the villain. Not so in the books as far as I saw it.

Something i don't understand about the Tywin / Queen of thorns convo was: Loras was on Renly's Rainbow Guard. Maybe i just assumed it was exactly like the kingsguard... So it's like, they were already okay with Loras losing his entitlement to Highgarden and all that previously by their own actions.

If people would give another thought to TV Joffrey (other than that they just hate him), I think they should wonder as to just how he became who he is? In the books we have Cersei being active with him and doing some of the worst things TV Joffrey is doing now. He looks a little bit like a prop on screen. Just the villain. Not so in the books as far as I saw it.

Who cares? He is who is and that's all that matters. Some people are just born evil.

And it's not like Joffrey had it that rough growing up. He was born into royalty FFS. There are people that go through waaay worse and don't turn into sadistic monsters.

True.. I always wonder about how the villains became who they are. No doubt it my mind that TV Joff is way more evil than book Joff... just like that scene they added in s2 with him forcing the prostitutes to beat each other (well damn, if i was Ros, I would have left kings landing then!). I remember in one of the books they talk about a time where he cuts open a live, pregnant cat and brought it to his father (Robert, lol, not the real one!) looking to seek approval.. I don't know why he thought this would seek Robert's approval, but Robert pretty much punches him in the face or something. I'm always fascinated by the villains and want to know their backstory.

But the "my Joff" comment was just funny to me, because I'd never heard it before. We all have our favorite villain or whatever but I have never heard anyone say that they like Joff! I'm not saying anything negative about liking Joff, I'm simply just acknowledging that I'd never heard it before! :)

Who cares? He is who is and that's all that matters. Some people are just born evil.

And it's not like Joffrey had it that rough growing up. He was born into royalty FFS. There are people that go through waaay worse and don't turn into sadistic monsters.

I care :P It takes it's own little thing away from the show for me. Characters are not supposed to be props. But good for you, if you don't mind :ninja:

Well, I dont think it was Cersei's influence that made him cut those kittens out of that cat. He's pretty much evil by nature, as well as by nurture.

On the contrary, I got the opposite impression from Jofferey.

He made such a big scene about fighting in Blackwater and then retreats like a little girl.

The only kill he has performed has been on an unarmed female prostitute who was tied up no less.

Quite the opposite of being a bad ass.

Many annoying changes, but,overall, I think this episode sets everything up nicely for what's about to follow. (I for one don't hate the whole Melissandre-Gendry storyline.)

Things that annoyed me the most:

-Cersei and Tyrion, being buddies, who are both good at heart and have been mistreated by daddy.

-Tywin's ultimatum, I don't think it's something he'd do, especially to someone like the QoT

-Maybe I'm being spoiled, but something nagged me about the Robb-Freys thing. The Freys came to Robb with their terms ready and all, whereas we should have seen Robb basically begging them.

-Bran.... I hated his storyline throughout the books, but the show has basically ruined it. There is no essence in there, people haven't really understood who the Reeds are, what they are, where they are going, and yet rather than getting some insight in them, all we get is some petty fighting over rabbits

........this is a general complaint, but why the heck is Sibel Kakili (Shae) credited in the beginning, and Gwendoline Christie isn't?

Things that annoyed me the most:

-Cersei and Tyrion, being buddies, who are both good at heart and have been mistreated by daddy.

I was not around these boards last season to see the reaction to the Tyrion comforting Cersei scene (when she speaks of her and Jaime's "sins"). I'm guessing the reaction was pretty similar to your reaction?

I find these awkward scenes to be a nice contrast to the scenes where Cersei and Tyrion have their verbal throwdowns "a day will come when your joy will turn to ash in your mouth, and you will know the dept is paid."

I honestly just read it as the calm before the storm.

Totally. It was barely mentioned in the books and in the show it's ZOMGHEIZSOGAY. I think the book version is much better because Loras & Renly had to be discreet which is in keeping with the Medieval attitudes whereas the characters on the show seem surprisingly accepting or tame in their reactions (well, except, Joffrey).

It was subtle in the book, but not that subtle, everyone still knew. In the book someone referred to Loras as "Renly's little rose". Jamie Lannister threatened to shove Loras' sword somewhere even Renly never found. Stannis made that comment about how Margaery was likely to stay a virgin in Renly's bed, and Cersei made a comment about how even if a man prefers ale, he would drink wine if the situation called for it (paraphrasing) when wondering about whether Renly had bedded Margaery or not. Someone also made a comment about marrying a third son off was difficult, and commented that it would be "thrice as difficult" with Loras. I think it was pretty clear in the books, reading between the lines, that Renly and Loras' relationship was common knowledge, despite the discretion that Renly and Loras thought that they were exercising.

Anyway, knee-jerk reactions:

1. I did not initially like the blase manner in which the BwB gave up Gendry. Upon reading discussion here on these boards I have changed my mind on this one now that I've had time to think it through and have decided it's really not all that OOC for the Brotherhood after all.

2. I continue to remain confused as to the outcome of the QoT scene with Tywin. Did she agree to marrying Loras to Cersei, or to making him a member of the KG? The general consensus is that she agreed to the marriage but for whatever reason I remain skeptical on that (another rewatch may be necessary.)

3. My biggest issue with this season is quickly becoming the fact that the Bran scenes just feel like fodder. They know he's important and don't know what to do with him and are largely inventing scenes. I know there is not much material to work from in the books but the material that is there is gold (Knight of the Laughing Tree anyone?) I feel like Bran is being wasted at this point, which is disappointing because the initial introduction to Jojen came across as being very powerful to me.

Other than that, I don't have much nitpicking and liked this episode though it has taken some time for me to come to that conclusion.

Bran's aSoS chapters are pretty weak and boring besides the KotLT story. That's gold to a book reader. Pretty hard to pull off on TV but they still have plenty of time to do it. Remember that they have to somehow get 2 seasons worth of Bran stuff from this book. They need to invent some scenes that are actually interesting though. Being chased by Ramsay/Theon could provide that, considering they both have nothing really to do for now, but I doubt they'll do it.

How about just infodumping Westerosi history through him. It can't be any more boring than it is now and at least book readers would appreciate it.

1. Hated pretty much everything about Mel, Gendry and BwB. Valar Morghulis? WTF? Red priests do not say that. Are they making the FM a part of the red religion? I might just quit the show if they do that. BwB does not sell people. They RANSOM. Ransoming does not equal selling. They sold their member like he was cattle, I HATED it.

2. Bran scenes were pointless as always, it feels like they are just trying to fill the time with them.

3. Gay jokes got old in season 1, now they are just pathetic

The rest was good I guess.

Archived