[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Guess I'm the only one who enjoys seeing showSansa being so stupid. I mean, okay, she's not THAT stupid in the books, but she does have a lot of naivete. There are more "Sansa is an idiot" type threads than I can count. Honestly, it feels to me like the writers are making a caricature of her in homage to the people who point out her book stupidity. Kind of like, "Oh, you thought she was dumb in the book? Let's have her hope that her rebelling family can come to her wedding." I interpreted it as the writers laughing at us.

"Gendry's Stannis' and by extension Brienne's Jon's and Arya's arcs are pretty badly damaged because of the directors trying to cut corners by sending Mel to the riverlands and buying Gendry.

There's a pretty gods damned good chance that Tormund Giantsbane will die this season without ever being remotely likeable or telling any of his epic storiest"

I thought that was a briliant move. Just my opinion.

I think it's been mentioned somewhere that Tormund gets back to Mance with a look of failure on his face.

I absolutely hate that the Karstarks are half of Robb's army and that there aren't any Lords to show how well-loved Robb is by everyone else.

Also, the Freys have 10,000 men? WTH?

Really? What parts of the book do you think are stupid may I ask?

That was actually overstating, so I'm going to change my statement: some parts are definitely weak.

The whole resurrection thing is bad; the most wonderful thing in the series was that death was final and almost random. You had to be ready to lose in a second one of your favourite characters. Now everyone is hoping Mel takes Jon back in book 6 (including me).

The whole Bran-becomes-an-omniscent-tree-man is maybe even worse. The Children of the Forest hugely contributing. I loved how George managed to create a wonderful fantasy story almost without fantastical creatures. I didn't feel the need for fucking wood elves.

Dany in Mereen was excruciating, I think we all concur.

Robb shagging a girl right after being told how his brothers were killed, their corpses burnt. If anyone in real life can do that, I'd say he needs professional help. The show has given a different vision of Robb's story, which, although not top notch, I consider better than in the books.

That is not all, although I think I made myself clear.

Of course there's no way the show can change all of that (except maybe Mereen). I don't even want the showrunners to change the parts I liked less. But I am very fond of streamlining characters and events, and I think the show is doing that perfectly.

Still, kudos to George. Best fantasy story ever written, far superior than Tolkien, to me.

EDIT: I just realized I missed the most important thing: food lists. Now THAT is stupid. Pages and pages of list of food. If George does that for the sake of realism, hell, target missed. People complained about 3 minutes, divided in two episodes, of jokes about Podrick's ability with women. What about tens of pages of dish names, then?

It was deliberately frustrating, which only increased the impact of Dany's flight on Drogon - which is probably the best moment of the series so far IMO.

You know, I think you are right. Anyhow, Mereen was the least of the flaws the books has. Which are of course, a handful, nothing more.

Thank you. Being literate has proved a terrible burden for me.

I don't think I get what you're saying, Ran!

That was actually overstating, so I'm going to change my statement: some parts are definitely weak.

The whole resurrection thing is bad; the most wonderful thing in the series was that death was final and almost random. You had to be ready to lose in a second one of your favourite characters. Now everyone is hoping Mel takes Jon back in book 6 (including me).

I disagree. I actually applaud Martin's treatment of resurrection, which is well established as having actual, very serious costs. I know most people are dreading the idea of Unjon because of those very costs.

The whole Bran-becomes-an-omniscent-tree-man is maybe even worse. The Children of the Forest hugely contributing. I loved how George managed to create a wonderful fantasy story almost without fantastical creatures. I didn't feel the need for fucking wood elves.

Bran is (so far) not an omniscient tree-man, and again if he does become that the price of such a thing is well established. If you didn't want "wood elves" maybe you should have paid a bit more attention to the first 4 books, were said "wood elves" are mentioned and foreshadowed extensively to the point that I don't see how anyone could be surprised that we ended up meeting them.

It wasn't my favourite plot line, but I think people exaggerate just how bad it was. There are some very chilling (Hazzea's bones) and amazing (Daznak's Pit) scenes in that plotline.

Robb shagging a girl right after being told how his brothers were killed, their corpses burnt. If anyone in real life can do that, I'd say he needs professional help. The show has given a different vision of Robb's story, which, although not top notch, I consider better than in the books.

Ugh, I hate it when D+D fans try to justify Talisa by making out Robb was some sick freak for how he reacted to the news of his brother's "deaths". The way people talk about it it's like Robb was turned on by the news. He wasn't of course, he simply wanted comforting. Sex is a very natural desire when you're upset.

Jeyne/Robb was a better story because it was not your traditional romance, and it makes it all the more tragic. Talisa is cliche and poorly written, not to even get into how much it disrespects Martin who has specifically said he hates that kind of character. If you like Talisa more, than I'm not going to stop you obviously, but from your post it seems to me like you enjoy it just because it's more conventional and comfortable. Which is kind of an odd preference to have with this series.

Of course there's no way the show can change all of that (except maybe Mereen). I don't even want the showrunners to change the parts I liked less. But I am very fond of streamlining characters and events, and I think the show is doing that perfectly.

I don't think they've done that perfectly. Tally up the changes and I'll think you'll find most of them either take up the same amount of time, or take up more time than what's in the books. If they actually did some streamlining I would be fine with it.

Still, kudos to George. Best fantasy story ever written, far superior than Tolkien, to me.

EDIT: I just realized I missed the most important thing: food lists. Now THAT is stupid. Pages and pages of list of food. If George does that for the sake of realism, hell, target missed. People complained about 3 minutes, divided in two episodes, of jokes about Podrick's ability with women. What about tens of pages of dish names, then?

The food lists are mouth-wateringly awesome, and a testament to George's descriptive skill. You can't compare them to the brothel scenes on the show in any way. Martin can spend as many pages as he likes on a book short of going into the thousands. D+D on the other hand have 10 hours to adapt each book. There's no time for pointless minutae.

All in all, only one of the items you've mentioned has been handled by D+D in any way so far and imo they made a complete botch of it. I don't think the books are perfect, but D+D should definitely start being a bit more objective about when they make adjustments.

Good that you were actually overstating and changed your stament. So now it would be :

Maybe they want to correct parts of the book that are fucking stupid weak?

Correct? Are they, really?

I can see why people don't like resurrections, But I don't have any problems with them. I would have problems if they hadn't been introduced since the prologue of the first book. I would have problems if they were costless, but they are not. Beric was losing his own self. With every resurrection he was becoming less and less human, he couldn't even remember his betrothed any more. Thoros was also getting weaker. Beric died resurrecting Catelyn. Catelyn is not herself anymore. Wights are not people. I think Jon is going to come back, but to be honest I doubt he will be exactly as he used to be.

But is the show "correcting" this "weak" part? No. They kept it.

Almost without fantastical creatures? What are the Others? And the CotF had been mentioned since the first book. I can understand why people don't like it, but we all knew magic was coming back, and that it would only get stronger. Everybody knew what they were getting into.

And again is the show "correcting" this "weak" part? No. They are going to keep it (thanks God)

Definitely not my favorite part of the story, but I didn't hate Meereen like many people did. Yes, it was frustrating, but I think it was necessary for what is coming. Although I don't blame people for hating it.

I don't know if they are going to skip this. They'll definitely make it shorter, but I doubt they will completely skip this. I guess that would be the only minor "correction" so far. (not a "correction" in my opinion but whaterver)

The show gave a different version, but was it really better? I thought Robb was a fool for what he did in the books. But I think show Robb is even a more stupid fool. At least book Robb tried to keep some kind of honor (Jeyne's honor) and did it when he was most vulnerable. Oh and "Bran and Rickon's corpses" weren't burnt in the books ;). But show Robb basically said "screw everybody I don't want to marry a Frey, I'll marry Talisa just because I want and my mom doesn't have honor".

Not to me.

Streamlining it's fine. But changing characters complete personalities for no reason? It's not fine. Because budget is not an excuse for doing that, and neither is time sice they are actually shortening the book's scenes just to add their own scenes, which many times are not good, and don't advance or contribute with the story. (Pod's joke :stillsick: )

So, tell me again exactly what have/are they "correcting"?

Agreed ;)

Did anyone else LAUGH OUT LOUD when The Queen of Thornes referred to Loras as a "sword swallower"???? I just about died!

It wasn't exactly an original joke, nor was it particularly clever. But I have no doubt D&D applauded themselves and were very pleased with it.

So, tell me again exactly what have/are they "correcting"?

I consider Robb's story a correction, since I consider that part very weak, in the books. But you're right, not correcting. Streamlining.

Almost without fantastical creatures? What are the Others?

Well, that's why I used "almost", isn't it?

Anyhow, I was no longer speaking about corrections (except for Robb). I was speaking about the parts of the books I consider weak. Of course the show cannot change the most important points of the story (resurrections and CotF). Still, that won't change the fact that I consider them weak.

So yes, almost no corrections, so far.

Ugh, I hate it when D+D fans try to justify Talisa by making out Robb was some sick freak for how he reacted to the news of his brother's "deaths". The way people talk about it it's like Robb was turned on by the news. He wasn't of course, he simply wanted comforting. Sex is a very natural desire when you're upset.

"Fan"? Not really.

All you've said in the whole post, I don't agree with!

I consider Robb's story a correction, since I consider that part very weak, in the books. But you're right, not correcting. Streamlining.

How exactly is it streamlining though? Jeyne could have been portrayed in the same amount of time as Talisa.

The show motivation for Robb's marriage was much weaker than the weak book version in my opinion. I thought the things that led to the RW in the book were sort of haphazard, like Robb deciding on a whim to marry and break his oath and then failing to give Edmure proper instructions on what to do....but at least the concept of a younger guy, consumed with grief having a weak moment and then feeling the need to do the 'honorable' thing on behalf of a young Westerosi noblewoman made more sense than marrying a Volantis nurse with no family, whose an adult and who had absolutely no qualms about premarital sex to begin with. So, rather than a correction, this was a worsenening of an already weakish element.

How exactly is it streamlining though? Jeyne could have been portrayed in the same amount of time as Talisa.

The second part of my sentence was not about Robb's story, but rather about the word "correcting", which, as you pointed out, is wrong, since almost no correction has been made, in the show.

Hey, it's hard being clear on the internet!

Archived