[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

I found that whole scene very informative.

The thing I thought I gathered from the whole thing is that they are giving much more weight to the R'hllor (last season they put Jaqen into the group, too). So they are building on "Ice vs Fire" much. And here Thoros says it is his love for a friend that brought him back (he did not say that in the books). So Fire/Love/Good and Ice/Walkers/Bad. Maybe... :mellow:

This whole scene was so damn cool in that we maybe got something potentially new about the story in the "Song of Fire and Ice". Brown Eyes, Blue Eyes, Green Eyes, sound like the Many Face god, and "we will meet again".

I can very much see the Mel inquisitiveness about resurrection and what they portends for the future. I also likes the bit about "The Heathens Slaying Each Other". This was one of my favorite scenes of the episode.

The thing I thought I gathered from the whole thing is that they are giving much more weight to the R'hllor (last season they put Jaqen into the group, too). So they are building on "Ice vs Fire" much. And here Thoros says it is his love for a friend that brought him back (he did not say that in the books). So Fire/Love/Good and Ice/Walkers/Bad. Maybe... :mellow:

I'm assuming you have read the books but for someone who hasn't, someone who is just a television viewer, what do you imagine they will think when Jon is assassinated and Melisandre is there?

Perhaps, but will the show deviate so much that Melisandre will not be at Castle Black? I find that implausible.

I do as well. Also, we know that Beric is not the only person going to be revived in the near future: UnCat, coming to a screen near you..

They could potentially send Melisandre off to have a dance party with Daenerys when Jon Snow dies and create some more inconsistencies.

I'm assuming you have read the books but for someone who hasn't, someone who is just a television viewer, what do you imagine they will think when Jon is assassinated and Melisandre is there?

If they keep this up, show will be long off the air by then :P

No, I do not wish that for people :D But it is far away, they can have Melisandre away, fail her first attempt or establish how difficult and one-off the resurection is. I do not know. And that is why it is not my first complaint :D

This scene just - Blew. My. Mind.

Sooo many possible implications, so many possible clues and yet maybe just red herrings too. I don't know what to think just yet and I've re-watched it a couple of times to see if I can glean anymore hints.

See, I always figured Edric was going to be an important future player since GRRM took such efforts to have him saved and smuggled out by Davos. Conversely, I hoped Gendry too would be an important future character. Both are sons of Robert and both could potentially be future kings or at the very least allies to the Starks and key elements in rebuilding things. Now that they seem to be combining the two characters into one (Gendry only) I'm just completely baffled as to WHAT role he'll play that still seems important enough to include him in a plot twist on the show that never existed in the books.

I like the ideas some here have said that Gendry will end up at the wall with Stannis and crew and then team up with Jon Snow, that would be awesome too. It doesn't really add up with where Gendry is in the books, still happily with the BwB and unaware of anything that we know of.

And finally the REAL kicker is of course Arya's interactions with Melisandre and the peculiar prophecy Mel gives Arya. LOVED IT. Definitely think this was a huge huge nod to the book readers, not just for fun but as a definite enormous clue!

WHEN and WHERE will Melisandre meet Arya again?! This is freaking awesome!!

You're assuming because you've read the books not because you haven't read them.

Who cares what they think, they're not even going to see Jon Snow "die" before Winds of Winter comes out are they? Or are they? Jealous much?

I guess when people see it on the show they won't be surprised if Melisandre resurrects him. They will be surprised if she doesn't.

What happens if Melisandre doesn't resurrect Jon Snow in Winds of Winter? What happens if he wasn't dead or if he's revived in some other way? What happens if Mel says "well I tried to warn the fool, might as well burn him now his watch has ended" ?

Not sure how I feel about the changes to Gentry storyNot sure how I feel about the Gendry story change, I though for sure he would play a crucial part in the books the way he's managed get around so much and be in so many POV chapters. Taking him away from TBWB which is where he was last seen in current books is interesting, because there is no way he's going back to them. Arya talk with Melisandre and the "We will meet again." line. Could Melisandre be who the Faceless men will send Arya to kill?

thousands of lannister bannerman couldn't find BWB however Mel knew their exact location. how she found out the Gendry was kings blood ??

Yeah I kinda had to wonder about those little detail omissions as well. I realize she's got 'sight' from her powers, but she's even admitted it's not always perfectly clear. Musta been like damn GPS type clear in order to not only pinpoint the exact location of Gendry but to just waltz right into their camp and buy him off like a piece of cattle. Wow.

See, I always figured Edric was going to be an important future player since GRRM took such efforts to have him saved and smuggled out by Davos.

There is no reason to think he isn't important just because he was combined with another character. For all intents and purposes, Gendry is Edric Storm (in so far as the show is concerned). If anything, this latest episode probably serves as evidence that Gendry is not terribly important after he joins the Brotherhood Without Banners since the creators of the show saw no reason to keep him there.

There is no reason to think he isn't important just because he was combined with another character. For all intents and purposes, Gendry is Edric Storm. If anything, this latest show probably serves as evidence that Gendry is not terribly important after he joins the Brotherhood Without Banners since the creators of the show saw no reason to keep him there.

OR - perhaps that Edric wasn't that terribly important. One or the other of them ends up being important and one of them isn't and in the books we don't really know that at all and are left hanging like so many other things. That's why this scene just blew my mind because of so many bizarre possible implications to book reveals...UGH I just want that next book to get doooone, come on George you're killin us here!!

Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaeris isn't a Faceless Man thing; its a Valyrian thing. Oberyn and Dany's use of it show that. I think Oberyn down right says it

Edit: Not responding to any one comment here. Just the general criticism of why Mel and Thor both knew it.

I think they gave Gendry Edric's part because they wanted to give Gendry a reason to not want to be with the BwB until Beric isn't leading them anymore. So that they can have him continuing on under unCat, perhaps. Or maybe to set up that conflict with unCat (different factions split off, right? I can't remember)

Archived