[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

Yup. The show will end before the last book is out and we are getting massive spoilers.

If it gets to the point where the show gets ahead of the books, I'll defo stop watching. I'll prob stop watching before that if they keep ruining characters/storylines.

You have to ask why they put in "Mel and Arya meeting again" statement? I mean what did it do? Mel could have just mentioned the eyes thing and moved on. Did we really NEED to know they will meet again?

About Arya and the eyes, dunno if it's been said but instead of referring to people's eyes Arya will close (i.e. she kills them) I reckon it's just her future ability to change face (her eyes changing colour with it) and her going blind as part of the FM training.

I really liked the idea of the scene and thought it was entirely in character for the Brotherhood to sell Gendry.

Also, I love hearing High Valyrian :)

Don't think it was in character at all - they're meant to defend the common people and are utterly principled, now that is secondary to their religious fanaticism. It's only later on under LS they forsake principle and justice and take up revenge.

I do love all the Valyrian we're getting this season though.

First post :D

Was I the only one who got the impression that Mel was somewhat scared by Arya? "Eyes staring back at me. Eyes you will shut forever". I really think that could hint that Arya is going to shut Mel's eyes

First I liked it. It gives a good reason for Gendry not to come back or trust the Brotherhood. It would prompt Arya on a solo mission. The one thing I was waiting for was for Arya to ask her name so she could add her to the list. I was even waiting, during the exchange of Mellisandre/Arya about the Darkness, for Arya to say "And that Darkness will be coming for you." I guess I'm so used to her threatening people, it seemed weird when she didn't.

Don't think it was in character at all - they're meant to defend the common people and are utterly principled, now that is secondary to their religious fanaticism. It's only later on under LS they forsake principle and justice and take up revenge.

I do love all the Valyrian we're getting this season though.

I think it would have been better had Gendry not said that he wanted to stay with the BwB last episode. I don't really see the difference between selling Arya to Robb and selling Gendry to Melisandre... both accomplish the same thing: getting money for their cause of saving the common people.

It will be interesting in hindsight - especially when the question is raised whether sacrificing one life for the greater good is right or not.

First post :D

Was I the only one who got the impression that Mel was somewhat scared by Arya? "Eyes staring back at me. Eyes you will shut forever". I really think that could hint that Arya is going to shut Mel's eyes

I too got the impression that Mel was scared of Arya.

And the added focus on the Red God suggests to me that he, or at least the religion, will play a major role in the end.

Why does this seem news to everybody?? Mel pretty much spells it out for Davos in the books. R'hllor is the exact opposite of the Other. Fire vs. Ice. The whole damn series is named after it! Of course that religion will be very important in the end.

I think it would have been better had Gendry not said that he wanted to stay with the BwB last episode. I don't really see the difference between selling Arya to Robb and selling Gendry to Melisandre... both accomplish the same thing: getting money for their cause of saving the common people.

It will be interesting in hindsight - especially when the question is raised whether sacrificing one life for the greater good is right or not.

The difference is they'd be returning Arya to her brother and mother, while giving Gendry over to likely death.

You can say their religion justifies the death but this again places religious fanaticism above justice for the people, which transforms their moral touchstone and de-ennobles them.

As Dragonstoned said, they're handing one over to her family, pretty much assuring her safety (or as much as they can) whilst also getting gold to keep their fight going. They're handing the other over to likely death. If it was just about getting money for their cause, they could have easily ransomed Arya to a certain house that would certainly pay more than the Starks.

As Dragonstoned said, they're handing one over to her family, pretty much assuring her safety (or as much as they can) whilst also getting gold to keep their fight going. They're handing the other over to likely death. If it was just about getting money for their cause, they could have easily ransomed Arya to a certain house that would certainly pay more than the Starks.

Well, as far as they know, the Lord of Light is just, and if he wanted Gendry, and Gendry was innocent, then he'd be fine. They have no reason to believe that they are handing him over to death.

This is the first time I feel like maybe I shoudn't watch the show anymore. I don't care if they change stuff on the show - it's a different medium and they have to run a show, etc, etc....but I feel like what Mellisandre said actually spoils the book - which IMO is BS. I wonder how GRRM feels about that...

Yup. The show will end before the last book is out and we are getting massive spoilers.

If it gets to the point where the show gets ahead of the books, I'll defo stop watching. I'll prob stop watching before that if they keep ruining characters/storylines.

You guys should definitely stop watching now, at this episode. No more posts about the show either. Thanks!

Well, as far as they know, the Lord of Light is just, and if he wanted Gendry, and Gendry was innocent, then he'd be fine. They have no reason to believe that they are handing him over to death.

Agreed. There has been no implication on the show - at all - that Melisandre intends to sacrifice Gendry. He also seemed pretty pleased when he was told that he would make Kings rise and fall. It was only Arya who seemed to be concerned for his safety... but then it was heavily implied that Mel might not enjoy her next meeting with her.

I don't buy that, they'd have to have their suspicions when handing him over and the fact that he doesn't want to go willingly. Again, it's at the point where the BwB from the show is different from the book. So yes, it's understandable why they'd do it on the show, it's the fact they've been changed in the first place that's so irksome.

The thing Mel says about the eyes is definitely just foreshadowing Arya's future role as a Faceless man. The music is even the same as every Jaqen scene from season 2.

That's what I thought, especially when she says "Eyes shut" which is foreshadowing Arya going blind for a while.

Hmmm... I think the "we'll meet again" may be just because of the "grey girl o a dying horse"...This new focus on Rh'lorr may just be to give the audience mor info, since we didn't have that important conversation of Davos and Mel yet.And Gendry may become a believer in the red faith, still wanting to serve his purpose in the brotherhood.

Archived