[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

As for the "we'll meet again", I didn't take that as a future book spoiler. I thought it simply meant that Mel and Arya will meet before Arya leaves for the FM training or something like that. I mean, who knows what Mel is up to now that she has left Stannis for the time being? Perhaps she will tour around Westeros for a while? :P I doubt D&D would bother to foreshadow something that might happen like four or five seasons from now.

The difference is they'd be returning Arya to her brother and mother, while giving Gendry over to likely death.

You can say their religion justifies the death but this again places religious fanaticism above justice for the people, which transforms their moral touchstone and de-ennobles them.

They are followers of the lord of light, so, the need to burn someone for the greater good shouldn't really bother them. Then again, that scene could play in to Beric's giving his life for Cat's nicely. Maybe they'll show a scene with him feeling guilty about handing over Gendry and then when he gives Cat the kiss, he'll say something about him no longer deserving this life.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else notice that R'hllor was misspelled as "R'hollor"? That was quite an oversight, in my opinion; the first time the Lord of Light's true name is said onscreen, and it isn't even spelled correctly?

ETA: Grammar error

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else notice that R'hllor was misspelled as "R'hollor"? That was quite an oversight, in my opinion; the first time the Lord of Light's true name is said onscreen or the first time, and it isn't even spelled correctly?

I didn't notice but yeah you are right, suppose even the writers have trouble spelling it.

And I take everyone's points about R'hllor deciding justice with regard to Gendry so him not being in any undeserved danger in their eyes, but this still changes the nature of the BwB as perceived by the viewers and Arya - maybe we could have had a conversation with Beric and Thoros debating which path to take.

They spoiled, they cut the Storm's End part, and Gendry was supposed to be with the BwB, I was really upset with this scene.

this and the Tyrells stuff, that Loras is the heir, and that's a lie, as Loras in the book is a third son, and he joined the KG

That's not a lie, in the show!

Yes we get it, the show is different than the books, but that's precisely what is irking a lot of people.

Mate, if you really got it, you (complainers) wouldn't be saying it every week, every year. It's like disliking sea food, yet WILLINGLY eating it every sunday and then complaining about its taste. Either you stop eating it, or you accept its taste. Saying, every week, every year "yikes, sea food tastes bad" is plain ridiculous, at this point.

You have your views, others have theirs, just accept that. People are allowed to complain about unnecessary differences, this is hardly the first book-to-tv adaptation that garners critique and it certainly won't be the last. It's more like disliking sea food, except you're originally eating a beef stew and the chef's slowly putting more and more sea food in it.

You have your views, others have theirs, just accept that. People are allowed to complain about unnecessary differences, this is hardly the first book-to-tv adaptation that garners critique and it certainly won't be the last. It's more like disliking sea food, except you're originally eating a beef stew and the chef's slowly putting more and more sea food in it.

I fully accept others having their views, and I fully find book winers pathetic. And no, lad, you know that you're not eating a beef stew; you are watching the show, and you already know its alleged flaws. It's not like you are reading the books, and someone changed the story without you knowing. You are watching the show. I bet that, if you go back to the books, your beef stew, they will taste EXACTLY the way they did. Going to a restaurant, buying sea food, and expecting a beef stew. That's wat you are doing.

I fully accept others having their views, and i fully find book winers pathetic. And no, lad, you know that you're not eating a beef stew; you are watching the show, and you already know its alleged flaws. It's not like you are reading the books, and someone changed the story without you knowing. You are watching the show. I bet that, if you go back to the books, your beef stew, they will taste EXACTLY the way they did. Going to a restaurant, buying sea food, and expecting a beef stew. That's wat you are doing.

Yeah, I knew before watching this episode/recent episodes that they'd completely change who the BwB are, that Cat would become a background character, that the Blackfish would be reduced to a rugged thug, etc.

The reason I watch the show is to see what I read adapted to TV, not for the showrunners to change the store, especially for the worse.

I don't go into each episode anticipating sea food, I go into it expecting beef stew and being fed sea food.

P.S. Essentially, if for example I learn today that they'll make big changes to the story then I don't see a point in watching, considering the reason I watch it is the watch the story I enjoy unfold. At best I'll DL or stream the eps out of curiosity but I'd certainly never hand money over for ruining the story I expected when I tuned into the show.

Yes we get it, the show is different than the books, but that's precisely what is irking a lot of people.

There are enough characters as it is in the tv show to give the viewers a hard time remembering who's who. Couple that with the cost of actors coming in for minor roles and it's unavoidable for the producers to make radical, wholesale changes to the plot. You just have to keep faith that the information the producers have from GRRM keeps them from changing it in any way that's too meaningful.

[mod] I think we can do without the 164th go-round of 'book purists vs the rest'. Particularly if people are going to start flaming each other. Drop it. [/mod]

There are enough characters as it is in the tv show to give the viewers a hard time remembering who's who. Couple that with the cost of actors coming in for minor roles and it's unavoidable for the producers to make radical, wholesale changes to the plot. You just have to keep faith that the information the producers have from GRRM keeps them from changing it in any way that's too meaningful.

I agree, that's why I stated that some changes are understandable, but some are just silly. Theon being too stupid to realize he's being flayed and associate it with the flayed man. And even the BwB changing... I get that Gendry would be a cheap replacement for Edric Storm in terms of casting, but why have the BwB just willingly hand him over for gold? They (the showrunners/writers) could have gotten him within the grasps of Mel some other way without changing the morals of certain characters.

I agree, that's why I stated that some changes are understandable, but some are just silly. Theon being too stupid to realize he's being flayed and associate it with the flayed man. And even the BwB changing... I get that Gendry would be a cheap replacement for Edric Storm in terms of casting, but why have the BwB just willingly hand him over for gold? They (the showrunners/writers) could have gotten him within the grasps of Mel some other way without changing the morals of certain characters.

I'd say that like with Arya they're taking the gold because they can, and probably would have handed him over regardless of it. I agree that it's out of character that they'd hand him over in the first place without knowing her intent (and I'm sure they'd have refused if they knew what she planned), but I suppose you just have to chalk it up to Thoros and Beric's new piety.

Archived