[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

I would like to point everyone to this interview. It's the one labeled The Most Beautiful Woman in th World: http://www.spoilertv...3x06-climb.html

Why bring up a child she has lost again? Was it just a plot device for sympathy between Cat and Cersei?

Cersei brings it up when she's talking to Robert as well, D brings it up because it's something that has effected Cersei, failing to give Robert a son caused them to drift completely apart. It's a very big issue for her marriage to Loras so it's I guess better to mention that she was pregnant four times in seventeen years of marriage, not just three.

Look at Lysa, look at Selyse. They lost more than one child but clearly "stillborn" = "make mommies crazy"

Why invent the scene with Sansa and her Septa about how everyone will hate her if she has "all girl children"? Why does Ned Stark tell Catelyn that she's "of the North" because she has birthed five Stark children?

Failing to have a child is a big deal. I wouldn't read into the crazy idea about Gendry being Cersei's child if that's what you're hinting at.

This scene made me realize eventually we will get to see Maisie speaking one of the languages. I wondered how she'll do.

And it also made me realize that we will see Braavos in the titles. Can't wait to see that

On the Game of Owns podcast interview with Bryan Cogman, Bryan mentioned that there were no new locations for S4 filming. I'm about 80% sure they'll film Braavos in Venice (if they want to capture the authenticity of Braavos), so we probably won't see it until S5.

On the Game of Owns podcast interview with Bryan Cogman, Bryan mentioned that there were no new locations for S4 filming. I'm about 80% sure they'll film Braavos in Venice (if they want to capture the authenticity of Braavos), so we probably won't see it until S5.

Yeah I know it's a while down the road, I was just saying I'm excited for it. So this scene has confused and excited me, but not really mad with rage at the change. I will just assume that they're doing things differently so that it works better in this medium. Like moving the reeds to this season. People will probably end up on the same general path, just with small changes, I'm guessing. I don't think any of it was to spoil the future books. Just to make things better to a TV audience. They probably could tell that the pacing was a little off when writing this season (relative to the others)

If they do, i'll rush up there and break into the set!

If they do, i'll rush up there and break into the set!

Well, I doubt they'll film in Venice. Croatia is sometimes used as a stand-in for Venice. Or at least it was in a doctor who episode. It was convincing enough if you've never been to Italy. But they have a bigger budget than Doctor Who (doesn't everyone? lol)

Failing to have a child is a big deal. I wouldn't read into the crazy idea about Gendry being Cersei's child if that's what you're hinting at.

That was what I was hinting at and you’ve re-assured me. :) I would really DISLIKE them going that route.

The thing I thought I gathered from the whole thing is that they are giving much more weight to the R'hllor (last season they put Jaqen into the group, too). So they are building on "Ice vs Fire" much. And here Thoros says it is his love for a friend that brought him back (he did not say that in the books). So Fire/Love/Good and Ice/Walkers/Bad. Maybe... :mellow:

I hope they aren't lumping Gods together. I assumed last season that Jaqen mentioned the Red God because he was literally rescued from fire so since he believes in basically all gods in one form or another that particular debt needed to be paid to the red god.

The reason this lumping disturbs me is because there seems to be a conflict with Red God folks in how they view the Old Gods of the North, they burn septs in the south too, but they use wood which is symbolic of the Old Gods and Weirwood trees to burn and therefore worship the fire god.

I'm not sure where the Weirwood gods would fit in a narrative lumping fire versus ice.

Well, I doubt they'll film in Venice. Croatia is sometimes used as a stand-in for Venice. Or at least it was in a doctor who episode. It was convincing enough if you've never been to Italy. But they have a bigger budget than Doctor Who (doesn't everyone? lol)

Well, being Italian, I should definitely watch that episode!

I'm not sure they would use Venice as a location, filming in Italy is very expensive (I think it's the most expensive country in Europe to film) and getting permits to film in Venice is really difficult. Of course it's possible to use Venice as the location for Braavos, it would be awesome, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

On topic: I don't know how I feel about this scene, I adore Arya and I'm happy just seeing her, but at the same time I didn't like her meeting Mel, the whole "we will meet again" seems a future book spoiler for me (unless they made them see each other before Arya goes to Braavos, something unlikely, I think she will go back to Dragonstone now that she has Gendry, why would she stay in the Riverlands?), it might be a reference to the whole Arya/Alys thing, but Mel doesn't know who Arya is in the scene, so I don't understand how they can be talking about that.

I think the eyes line meant Arya is going to kill a lot of people, nothing else.

I didn't like her meeting Mel, the whole "we will meet again" seems a future book spoiler for me (unless they made them see each other before Arya goes to Braavos, something unlikely,

First off why does Melisandre have to be correct that they'll meet again? Does she control Arya's destiny? Ned Stark and Benjen Stark told Jon that they'd talk to him the next time they see him and then one dies and the other is been missing a long time.

Second, I love how you think that the show is trolling you with information that you think will be future book spoilers. I'll try and just point out that there's absolutely no way that the show will hint at something that is going to happen five seasons from now.

Do you think that Benjen Stark will return to the Wall because he tells Jon "we'll speak more when I return"?

LOL!! This is probably the best analogy I've seen for this phenomenon, and perfectly encapsulates what is going on here. I will steal this from you in the future, if you don't mind haha.

It's actually not a great analogy at all. Tons of people have been reading these books for years before the show was even a gleam in hbo's palm. A better seafood analogy would be thus: for years and years you have loved shrimp to the point you knew everything there was to know about shrimp. However the shrimp you want won't be in season for another four years. To feed your shrimp addiction you start eating fake shrimp meat even tho it tastes like shit and gives you gas. At some point you might stop eating fake shrimp meat, maybe once your poor guts simply can't handle it anymore. In four years, you tell yourself, I'll dine on real shrimp once more. You just hope your guts hold out till then.

^^ I was just giving my opinion about that Mel said to Arya, and I'm not the only one who thinks that, why are you so agressive about it?

so in your opinion it was a book spoiler? I don't think I was being agressive about it, maybe a little aggressive........ I guess I'm just confused about how everyone is jumping to a conclusion that makes no sense for the show just because obviously Melisandre never told Arya "we'll meet again" in the books.

I think the people that are telling people that are worried about future book spoilers to "quit watching the show" are being aggressive. I'm just trying to simply point out how illogical it is for the show to forshadow something that will happen in season 7.

My guess is you should start worrying in a few years if the show is still on the air and Winds of Winter hasn't come out yet.

so in your opinion it was a book spoiler? I don't think I was being agressive about it, maybe a little aggressive........ I guess I'm just confused about how everyone is jumping to a conclusion that makes no sense for the show just because obviously Melisandre never told Arya "we'll meet again" in the books.

I think the people that are telling people that are worried about future book spoilers to "quit watching the show" are being aggressive. I'm just trying to simply point out how illogical it is for the show to forshadow something that will happen in season 7.

My guess is you should start worrying in a few years if the show is still on the air and Winds of Winter hasn't come out yet.

Well, IMO you were being agressive and it was not necessary, if you don't agree there are other ways to say it. I just think it might be a clue, it probably isn't, but that was the impression I got. Nothing else.

And I didn't say anything about the people who worry about the show spoiling the books or what they should do, so I don't see how that should affect my opinion about your answer, and I didn't talk about the show getting ahead of the books either, because honestly, even if it happens, I don't care.

First off why does Melisandre have to be correct that they'll meet again? Does she control Arya's destiny? Ned Stark and Benjen Stark told Jon that they'd talk to him the next time they see him and then one dies and the other is been missing a long time.

Second, I love how you think that the show is trolling you with information that you think will be future book spoilers. I'll try and just point out that there's absolutely no way that the show will hint at something that is going to happen five seasons from now.

Do you think that Benjen Stark will return to the Wall because he tells Jon "we'll speak more when I return"?

I agree here. That line could mean a lot of things, including nothing. Yes, maybe it's a spoiler of Arya meeting Melisandre in future books, but it could also be a reference to Alys Karstark, a new TV show-only scene on any season, a spoiler of fake Arya meeting Melisandre, or Melisandre is just wrong. We have been shown countless times how flawed Mel's interpretations of her visions are, and here she's not even looking into the flames.

Until we know for sure what that line means, this is as much of a spoiler as saying "All men must die".

As for the interaction between Thoros and Mel, it really doesn't spoil Jon's fate any more than the books do. Red priests do "The Kiss" / say "The Old Words" as a funerary ritual, so even if Melisandre didn't believe it was possible to bring someone back to life with it, she'll probably do it to Jon anyway. Even Thoros did it to Beric, and Mel's much more devoted than Thoros was back then. Also, we're not sure if that's what's really going to happen.

I'm not sure they would use Venice as a location, filming in Italy is very expensive (I think it's the most expensive country in Europe to film) and getting permits to film in Venice is really difficult. Of course it's possible to use Venice as the location for Braavos, it would be awesome, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

On topic: I don't know how I feel about this scene, I adore Arya and I'm happy just seeing her, but at the same time I didn't like her meeting Mel, the whole "we will meet again" seems a future book spoiler for me (unless they made them see each other before Arya goes to Braavos, something unlikely, I think she will go back to Dragonstone now that she has Gendry, why would she stay in the Riverlands?), it might be a reference to the whole Arya/Alys thing, but Mel doesn't know who Arya is in the scene, so I don't understand how they can be talking about that.

I think the eyes line meant Arya is going to kill a lot of people, nothing else.

It's not only expensive but it also has some of the most strict laws regarding working hours especially in regards to minors that it becomes almost impossible to film scenes that require a long shooting time. Overtime isn't usually allowed even when actors are willing. Remember HBO Rome? there are multiple kids used as Vorenus's kids simply because of Union rules and regulations. Italy doesn't rate very high (to put it mildly) on the ease of doing buisness country index.

It's actually not a great analogy at all. Tons of people have been reading these books for years before the show was even a gleam in hbo's palm. A better seafood analogy would be thus: for years and years you have loved shrimp to the point you knew everything there was to know about shrimp. However the shrimp you want won't be in season for another four years. To feed your shrimp addiction you start eating fake shrimp meat even tho it tastes like shit and gives you gas. At some point you might stop eating fake shrimp meat, maybe once your poor guts simply can't handle it anymore. In four years, you tell yourself, I'll dine on real shrimp once more. You just hope your guts hold out till then.

Sounds like the same thing to me, except that I'm eating the same "fake" shrimp and I think it tastes great. You just don't like it. And if you dislike it so much, you should stop eating it and go back and eat the kind of shrimp you ate before because it will always be there for you to enjoy until the new shrimp comes along.

Sounds like the same thing to me, except that I'm eating the same "fake" shrimp and I think it tastes great. You just don't like it. And if you dislike it so much, you should stop eating it and go back and eat the kind of shrimp you ate before because it will always be there for you to enjoy until the new shrimp comes along.

You can like fake shrimp all you want. Doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. No idea why you care about other people's palate.

Archived