[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

You can like fake shrimp all you want. Doesn't make an ounce of difference to me. No idea why you care about other people's palate.

Because I love the books and the show, and I come here to talk about both, but I have to wade through buckets of people shitting on the TV show for being a betrayal of the books and being terrible. If you don't like it just don't watch it and spare yourselves the trouble and allow the rest of us to enjoy discussing it.

I don't mean people can't say they dislike a change or that they would prefer something be more like the books. What I'm talking about is this kind of thing (saying the show "tastes like shit") and certain others who constantly post only negative comments who clearly hate the show and make us go through this in every thread.

Because I love the books and the show, and I come here to talk about both, but I have to wade through buckets of people shitting on the TV show for being a betrayal of the books and being terrible. If you don't like it just don't watch it and spare yourselves the trouble and allow the rest of us to enjoy discussing it.

I don't mean people can't say they dislike a change or that they would prefer something be more like the books. What I'm talking about is this kind of thing (saying the show "tastes like shit") and certain others who constantly post only negative comments who clearly hate the show and make us go through this in every thread.

Well I can appreciate you being unhappy with that but what you want won't happen. So...

"If you don't like people complaining, you shouldn't come to the forum."

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here, but I can't bother myself to think about it.

I said in my post that it's fine for people to say they don't like a change or discuss whatever, but it's the crushing negativity and outright hatred being passed off as objective truth that's obnoxious.

And the same can be said about watching the show. "If you don't like changes in the adaptation, don't watch the show."

I said in my post that it's fine for people to say they don't like a change or discuss whatever, but it's the crushing negativity and outright hatred being passed off as objective truth that's obnoxious.

And the same can be said about watching the show. "If you don't like changes in the adaptation, don't watch the show."

Yeah, yeah. I'm just joking around. I mostly agree with you.

[/quote

Who said anything about objective truth? It's called an opinion for a reason. I think the only one taking themselves too seriously here is....

The first thing I thought of when I saw this scene was 'How did Mel get there?'. Srsly, how is she supposed to have made it to the Riverlands from Dragonstone?

I also thought the eyes quote might have meant wolves, perhaps finally hinting at Arya's warging potential, but then Mel said 'eyes you'll shut forever' so it means she'll be a faceless man/ninja assassin. It seems like a good idea to let Gendry take over from Edric Storm in the book and to bring some of the threads together in the show.

travel time in the show means nothing, it has been well established.

all you need is a scene of them leaving, and a scene of them arriving, done.

May I ask you what on Earth you are talking about, as far as Mel is concerned? It took her three episodes to reach the BwB!

It's actually not a great analogy at all. Tons of people have been reading these books for years before the show was even a gleam in hbo's palm. A better seafood analogy would be thus: for years and years you have loved shrimp to the point you knew everything there was to know about shrimp. However the shrimp you want won't be in season for another four years. To feed your shrimp addiction you start eating fake shrimp meat even tho it tastes like shit and gives you gas. At some point you might stop eating fake shrimp meat, maybe once your poor guts simply can't handle it anymore. In four years, you tell yourself, I'll dine on real shrimp once more. You just hope your guts hold out till then.

Mate, there's other food, you know. Fish, meat, eggs. Don't you think constantly eating something that disgusts you is a bit masochistic? What are you doing it for? Wouldn't you fancy eating something else, something you like? Anyway, I love food analogies, they make me want to eat!

I think the most unintentionally bad part of this, is that it sort of gives away Jon Snow's resurrection.. That is the biggest giveaway from this scene.

Oh so now all of sudden Jon Snow's (inevitable) coming back to life was gonna to be some big "surprise"? haha....

There's a lot of posts on this thread so apologies if I've missed something - but here's my theory(s):

1. The show will combine the religions. Under the Lord of Light.

2. Arya will be trained as an asssisin under them.

3. Mel didn't take her as she could see this and taking her would take Arya off this path.

4. Gendry will be let go by the onion knight.

5. By the end of the current books we see a split in the BWB between those that are following Stoneheart and those that have the mission to protect the small folk sent by Gendry's dad. Gendry goes back and leads them in this (ok this last ones a hope as I wanted the booked to do this).

6. It could be the revolt is what saves jamie/Brienne

7. Arya will see Mel again when she kills her.

She said "eyes you'll shut forever", so I suppose the people she'll kill.

I agree. "eyes you'll shut forever" pretty much sounds like people she'll kill. Am I crazy to think the blue eyes might be Ramsay? That there will be no false Arya, that her FM plot will be accelerated to get her to Winterfell to kill Ramsay on their wedding night?

I agree eyes of different colour that you'll close forever is clearly a nod to her future killing spree, but it could also mean taking on different eyes herself when changing faces. Dual prophesy. Personally I don't think the colours are specific nods to anyone as she'll kill so many, but they could be.

I was prepared to be disappointed by lack of the ghost of high heart. I love the show adaptation, and I agree certain prophesies are too revealing and restricting, but I'm glad in this case we still got a nod to the darkness in Arya.

Its hard to judge what they've done with this particular story without knowing where Gendry's BWB story or Arya's FM arc or Mel in general are going in the book. Second guessing what this means for the show future, when we don't even really know the book future, is a confusing spitball. Hopefully the payoffs will be the same anyway, I have faith in D&D.

I agree. "eyes you'll shut forever" pretty much sounds like people she'll kill. Am I crazy to think the blue eyes might be Ramsay? That there will be no false Arya, that her FM plot will be accelerated to get her to Winterfell to kill Ramsay on their wedding night?

I think you are probably crazy and that would be too far of a departure from the books as Ramsey is presumably still alive at the end of Dance, long after his wedding, still alive for the coming Battle of Winterfell against Stannis, and who would bother hring a FM to kill Ramsey to begin with, he's not that important, his father is still alive.

It may be that Mel and Arya will meet in the next two books and that was a spoiler, or it may be that it was just show talk and means nothing....I suspect that Mel and Arya WILL meet in the books because I think that Arya and Jon will reunite.

I think you are probably crazy and that would be too far of a departure from the books as Ramsey is presumably still alive at the end of Dance, long after his wedding, still alive for the coming Battle of Winterfell against Stannis, and who would bother hring a FM to kill Ramsey to begin with, he's not that important, his father is still alive.

It may be that Mel and Arya will meet in the next two books and that was a spoiler, or it may be that it was just show talk and means nothing....I suspect that Mel and Arya WILL meet in the books because I think that Arya and Jon will reunite.

It would be a big departure, but it really depends on what's going to happen in TWoW. If Ramsay is already dead at the end of Dance (e.g., the letter is from Mance).

Also, Arya will not be a true FM as she will still act for her own purposes. (though the Iron Bank is backing Stannis, and the show could portray an alliance btn the FM and Iron Bank, so why not kill their guy's enemies?)

If she were to find out the Boltons' role in the RW, it's conceivable she would let herself be captured to take them out. I'm just looking at the showrunners' penchant for reducing characters (no Edric Storm, Willas Tyrell, or Jeyne Poole) Jon would have the same motivation to leave the Wall to stop the wedding, Theon/Reek would have the same redemptive impulse to "save" Arya, though with her training she would hardly need it. Obviously, Ramsay would die before "consummating" (eww.)

Now if TWoW has Arya doing major stuff in Essos right away, then throw it out the window.

To me, 'eyes you'll shut forever' is just Mel's typically ignorant interpretation of her visions. She sees Arya as the/a blind girl and assumes that's her fate.

I would guess that Gendry's gonna get shipped off to the free cities by Davos, where he'll either reunite with Arya in Braavos or bump into the Griffs and wind up making his way back to Westeros with them.

On the Game of Owns podcast interview with Bryan Cogman, Bryan mentioned that there were no new locations for S4 filming. I'm about 80% sure they'll film Braavos in Venice (if they want to capture the authenticity of Braavos), so we probably won't see it until S5.

So we get an entire season of Arya and the Hound? sweet!

Archived