[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

These scenes with Melisandre in the Riverlands were easily some of the best in the show so far. They add a much needed element of creeping spiritual pagan dread which plays off the more prosaic, though no less important, plotting/scheming etc. Regardless of their expositional content, and issues we book readers may have with such, ultimately the atmosphere they provided was absolutely thrilling and essential, atleast to me.

Could be an effective change if they handle it right, I'm reserving my judgment for now. I think it's something that has potential, we'll see how it works out.

The vast majority of the changes they've made I've had a really good idea of where they were going with it, and I've almost always been right, for good or ill. This one, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it could potentially work.

For one, Gendry seems to later take his leave of the Brotherhood. This way it kinda fits a bit nicer?

Gendry is taken to Stannis, but Davos rescues him, and send him back, hiding him at the Crossroads Inn where we find him in Feast of Crows

Gendry is taken to Stannis, but Davos rescues him, and send him back, hiding him at the Crossroads Inn where we find him in Feast of Crows

No. Melisandre found the kid in the Riverlands once already.

It would make sense.

It would make sense that Melisandre could just go and find Gendry again? Yes. I agree. Which means it makes no sense to send him back there.

Here's some more reasons:

1. The Riverlands are a war zone, it's not safe for him.

2. Stannis can use Gendry as proof that Joffrey is not Robert's child with Gendry.

3. The crossroads inn doesn't have a proper forge.

I haven't read through all the past posts so I apologise if this has already come up, but:

On the Theon thread people were speculating about what would happen with fArya and real Arya now that Mel has met her.

Only, when I watched that scene, I didn't get any indication that she knew who Arya was. And given Mel's tendency to misread her visions, I could easily see 'we will meet again' applying either to fArya or to something that happens much further down the line, as in post-ADWD. Why are people so sure Mel knew she was meeting Arya? It's totally possible I missed something, which is why I'm asking.

I haven't read through all the past posts so I apologise if this has already come up, but:

On the Theon thread people were speculating about what would happen with fArya and real Arya now that Mel has met her.

Only, when I watched that scene, I didn't get any indication that she knew who Arya was. And given Mel's tendency to misread her visions, I could easily see 'we will meet again' applying either to fArya or to something that happens much further down the line, as in post-ADWD. Why are people so sure Mel knew she was meeting Arya? It's totally possible I missed something, which is why I'm asking.

Why wouldn't the Brotherhood tell her who Arya is? If they'd be willing to defer to her because she's a priestess and let her have Gendry why wouldn't they tell her also that they have Arya Stark in case she thinks R'hllor needs her too?

jeez, people ship anything these days

I only ship Gendry and Arya, I lack the energy for the rest. But considering what Davos did for Edric in the books, some Gendry/Davos scenes are welcome. I would also be pleased by some Gendry/Shireen family bonding of the non-Lannister variety.

I only ship Gendry and Arya, I lack the energy for the rest. But considering what Davos did for Edric in the books, some Gendry/Davos scenes are welcome. I would also be pleased by some Gendry/Shireen family bonding of the non-Lannister variety.

LOL @ "non-Lannister variety". But I've had the same thought - maybe he will join in on Davos and Shireen's learning to read seesions like Edric in the book.

Why wouldn't the Brotherhood tell her who Arya is? If they'd be willing to defer to her because she's a priestess and let her have Gendry why wouldn't they tell her also that they have Arya Stark in case she thinks R'hllor needs her too?

They swore to the same R'hollor to take her to her mother and Stannis is no friend to the Starks.

But I get ya. It is sort of weak. That is why I had assumed that this scene was going to happen after Arya got nicked by the Hound.

They swore to the same R'hollor to take her to her mother and Stannis is no friend to the Starks.

But I get ya. It is sort of weak. That is why I had assumed that this scene was going to happen after Arya got nicked by the Hound.

I suppose that if R'hllor wanted Arya, he would have shown it to Mel. But she was sent to the BwB only to get Gendry; Beric saying "By the way, we also have Arya Stark, should you need her" sounds supermarketish (made up word) to me. Mel was sent there by R'hllor to seize Gendry, they gave her Gendry. Why give her Arya? What for? She didn't ask for her, nor for Starks in general. Only for Gendry.

You're absolutely right. Nobody mentions Arya's name, so there's no conflict with Mel seeing fArya later, though I truly doubt the show will bother with the second fake Arya anyway (grey girl on horseback - Karstark). Not to mention "Arya" Bolton, née Jeyne Poole was only shown at Winterfell in S1 and never named.

Melisandre doesn't know who Arya is, the Brotherhood thinks they only have to reach Riverrun to return her to her family. Beric respected Arya's father and wants to return her to her family.

You aren't missing anything, people saying that this conflicts with Mel's possible future outcome are missing things( I am included in that).

but it's about time that the power of R'hollor and seeing visions in fires is again shown to "not always be right"

You're absolutely right. Nobody mentions Arya's name, so there's no conflict with Mel seeing fArya later, though I truly doubt the show will bother with the second fake Arya anyway (grey girl on horseback - Karstark). Not to mention "Arya" Bolton, née Jeyne Poole was only shown at Winterfell in S1 and never named.

Jeyne Poole was mentioned at least once, in the scene between Sansa and Septa Mordane in the throne room. Sansa says something about Jeyne Poole's mom having "all girls" no boys.

Melisandre doesn't know who Arya is, the Brotherhood thinks they only have to reach Riverrun to return her to her family. Beric respected Arya's father and wants to return her to her family.

You aren't missing anything, people saying that this conflicts with Mel's possible future outcome are missing things( I am included in that).

but it's about time that the power of R'hollor and seeing visions in fires is again shown to "not always be right"

Jeyne Poole was mentioned at least once, in the scene between Sansa and Septa Mordane in the throne room. Sansa says something about Jeyne Poole's mom having "all girls" no boys.

I remember that. Did show Jeyne make it to King's Landing, though?

I remember that. Did show Jeyne make it to King's Landing, though?

It's never explicitly stated. Luwin tells Catelyn that Jeyne Poole's father went to KL with Eddard Stark. My best guess is that Jeyne would go with her dad but we never hear about it in the show.

I suppose if Jeyne was left in Winterfell then Ramsey could've taken her hostage to the Dreadfort and then Bolton's might try to make her become "Arya" all on their own.

I suppose the idea could be hatched by Roose and Tywin...

Roose: "So you cannot find Arya anywhere? I think I have an idea, there's a girl from Winterfell we have as a guest at the Dreadfort that kinda looks like Arya, we'll force her to assume Arya's identity and marry her to my bastard to help secure the North for the crown."

Tywin: "That sounds good like a good plan, we'll send an envoy with a fake "Arya" from KL so that it will look like we gave her to you. Once the fake reaches you switch her with the girl that you have."

I personally think Gendry will be used as a substitude for Edric in order to obtain blood for the leeches and three false kings business. But didn't Mel promise Stannis and Selyse a son? Is it poosible that she wants Gendry for that purpose? I mean Stannis is Gendry's uncle! And we know from Stannis offer to a certain bastard that the bastardship label can be lifted by a king's order. Imagine the possibilities of having Gendry as a prince contender to the Iron throne. It'd make it much interesting relationship between Arya and Gendry now that they both are royalty.

Archived