[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

I'm not sure what I think of it. I thought Mel's scene with Beric and Thoros was really well acted and interesting, but I don't like the idea of Gendry being pissed at the Brotherhood. I guess that means his role with them isn't really important. Not sure where they are going with this.

I took that as Mel standing in for the Ghost of High Heart. The way they're focussing on the red religion makes me think GRRM has told them something that should make us pay more attention to R'hllor.

Indeed, especially when she was in denial of Thoros' ability to bring back a person six times in a row.

What did you think of these scenes? Do you like Gendry replacing Edric? What Meli had to say to Arya at the end was really quite bizarre...

Well... Gendry's story arc is a more active one than Edric's so.... yeah. I believe Mel will be the person to send Arya in her quest to the FLM as Jaquen had wanted in season 2.

It allows Gendry to be separated from the Brotherhood and at the Crossroads Inn when Brienne goes back there, believes he's Renly reborn and fights Rorge and Biter, except they've completely disappeared.

Something really intrigued me: Mel's conversation with Arya. Mainly the "We will meet again"

I feel there are implications on this line regarding the unreleased book 6 and Arya's future.

Given Maester's Cressen's attempt, I don't think the Strangler is going to work on Melisandre.

What did you think of these scenes? Do you like Gendry replacing Edric? What Meli had to say to Arya at the end was really quite bizarre...

yeahh they are replacing Meli with what the old woods which said to her on the hill......but the meeting again part is really bizzare....only place they would ever meet again is in the North....or maybe just an empty threat .....

Could be an effective change if they handle it right, I'm reserving my judgment for now. I think it's something that has potential, we'll see how it works out.

The vast majority of the changes they've made I've had a really good idea of where they were going with it, and I've almost always been right, for good or ill. This one, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it could potentially work.

Its one of the rare scenes that I think tells us some of what's going to happen or not in books 6/7.

Clearly Gendry won't be playing a role with the BWB (having him travel all the to Dragonstone and back again would be asinine, and he won't trust them anymore), but he has to have some role; or else it would've been easier to introduce Edric Storm instead of shoehorning Mel into the Riverlands.

There also would've been no point to Mel's line to Arya unless they do somehow meet again. So either Mel is headed to Braavos, Arya to the Wall (that'd be my guess), or they both meet somewhere else.

And the added focus on the Red God suggests to me that he, or at least the religion, will play a major role in the end.

They're really setting up the importance of religion, and it gives us clues to what we'll see in the actual book series moving on too. Arya is completely opposed to this religion of light, because she is with the god of Death, darkness, and the Great Other.

mark my words.

We'll have to wait to see how it turns out. My problem is how are they going to get Gendry back to the riverlands or if he will get back there at all. But then again, is it really important that he's there? All his appearance in Feast does is remind us of his existence and get close to providing him with the answer of his origins. But from this storyline it seems he's going to get anvil sized hints that he's Robert's son if he isn't told outright.

I liked how they showed that the Brotherhood isn't so pure as they claim, but I'm also not sure that they are all as bad as they were portrayed either. The Thoros/Melisandre interplay is interesting, but would Thoros really so easily bend to her BS?

And naturally, "We will meet again" was the most intriguing line of the episode.

I think the quote about the different eyes also imply Arya's status as a faceless men.

But the thing that annoyed me was Mellisandre saying "Valar Morgulis", that's not her saying. That's the Faceless Men's saying, because they worship death. She does not.

Many people in the free city's say it as a common greeting. It is not specific to FM.

Archived