[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry, Melisandre, Arya, etc.

teemo

Arya Stark doesn't have three pairs of eyes. And at least in books her eyes are grey.This makes little sense. If it doesn't refer to people she kills it could refer to burial rites she performs in THoBaW, which probably contain act of closing eyes, only those eyes and faces are used one last time as disguise.

Side note did anyone else notice that in show it's said that Jon's eyes are brown? (infamous Cat/Talisa scene) I hope this won't fuel theories about Arya killing Jon, on the other hand brown is the most common color.

I don't know why what I posted doesn't make sense. I'll try to be a little more clear. Mel sees darkness in her. In that darkness she sees eyes staring back at her. I interpret those eyes to be Arya's eyes, and the exact colors and numbers make no difference, but the fact that there will be may faces/ different eyes that Arya will see through. And using book eye colors means nothing because about every character's eyes are a different color in the show. I think it was forshadowing that she will be a FM and be able to change her identitly at will, but will lose her own true identitly in the process, hence the Arya eyes being shut forever.

I liked the scene, thought it was telling. However for the brown eyes green eyes, etc. wouldn't that be the eye colours of the people Arya killed or will intends to kill (her list) rather than the many faced god which melisandre is actually not affiliated to, a kind of foreshadowing perhaps of Arya losing herself.

To me the eyes line is clearly a reference to the FM Arya will become, thus having the ability to take any eyes color she wants.

I really like the Thoros/Melisandre scene. Great acting.

Probably the best scene from this episode, along the Jaime/Brienne/Roose one.

As to Valar Morghulis, Melisandre is from Asshai, from the Snadowlands, not from the Free Cities, and Valar Morghulis well stands for the religion of the FM, which is a religion of death...and the Lord of Light means to bring Life (even if Melisandre brings death too...hmm), not death...it is known!

That scene brought some light to me too...-as JonDunn said above - Arya (Death) and Melisandre (Life) are quite controversial and I think they will fight in the future.

Maybe....Varys+Illyrio (disturbed by Stannis in their plans) --->FM----->Arya against Melisandre

Arya could well be trained by the FM so that her plans to murder the Red Woman don t show up in her flames

Arya won't kill Melisandre, once a FM she will be working and her task will send her back to Westeros and the mask she will get will be Arya Stark. After that she marries Gendry, Baratheon + Stark = AWESOME. And Daenarys shows up with her dragons.

I took the eye scene to mean Arya will kill 3 people with green, blue, and brown eyes. I assume green is Cersei? But the other two I'm not so sure about.

I was wondering about this too. When Cat is talking about Jon coming down with the pox and how she could not love him, she said he had "strangers brown eyes"..., blue eyes could be whites or Cat and Sansa? green eyes Cersei but didn't the CotF greenseers have green eyes?? I'm not really sure thb!

I was wondering about this too. When Cat is talking about Jon coming down with the pox and how she could not love him, she said he had "strangers brown eyes"..., blue eyes could be whites or Cat and Sansa? green eyes Cersei but didn't the CotF greenseers have green eyes?? I'm not really sure thb!

I think people are reading too much into this. It was Red Dress standing in for the ghost of high heart and a foreshadowing of the people Arya will kill in the future, that's it.

I want to see what they do with Gendry in the next couple seasons. This is IMO a lot better TV only story then "WHO STOLE MA DRAGONZZZZ"

Well said. Dany's storyline in S2 really annoyed me. Whenever something didn't go her way she'd just start foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog and start yapping "I'm Daenerys Targaryen... yap yap yap, foam foam... blood of old Valyria..." The only thing they could have done to make her more petulant was have her stamp her foot and throw her fists up and down like a toddler having a temper tantrum. The scene at the end of And Now His Watch Is Ended was a total contrast to that. She spoke with conviction and it was a very well acted, powerful scene.

Sorry, I digress. Substituting Gendry for Edric makes absolute sense seeing as they're both Kings Roberts bastards. Having Edric cast wouldn't really add anything to the TV show. HBO, I approve of your conduct!

I don't necessarily have a problem w/Gendry subbing for Edric, but its a plot hole as far as how she knows about Gendry and that he's Robert's bastard.....yeah, yeah, she saw it in the flames....but that is weak...since we know that she only sees images in the flames and she would have no way whatever of knowing that Gendry--who she presumably saw in the flames--was Robert Baratheon's bastard son. And, as others have said, Stannis refusing to kill Gendry, a lowborn peasant he's never set eyes on is much less realistic than his moral dilemma over Edric Storm, so, again, plot hole and weak on characterization.

Jon Arryn and Stannis were looking into Roberts bastards in the first book, can't remeber if Stannis joined Jon when they went to the blacksmith, but it's not unlikely that Stannis knows about Gendry, an may have met him briefly before.

Excellent scenes, with contrast between light and darkness, love and revenge. Arya is an interesting adventurous character, she is into swords, bows, she wants to learn everything. Maybe she will learn to resurrect the dead and we'll have a chance to see it.

The biggest sense of foreshadowing was the Arya/Mel exchange. They have not met in the books, thus far. But in the episode Mel said "we will meet again." This is my thought on this scene for the future of both the books and show. Arya, once she finishes her FM training will be sent to kill Mel, while she is at the wall with Jon. Jon will see(to his eye's) a stranger about to kill Mel; a person he knows. Jon will jump in to save Mel from the would be killer and in the process, stab the assassin through the chest; with whatever sword he is carrying(Longclaw or Dawn). When sword is removed it is now Lightbringer, after Jon just killed the one person he loved the most. Arya will be Jon's Nissa Nissa. I posted thoughts about this theory, in the general discussion section as well.

I posted this, in another topic. I wanted to put it on here, as it appears to be the better place for it.

"We will meet again"

They will meet again this season or did we just get a massive spoiler for the last 2 books.

My guess is spoiler and Arya returns from Braavos to the Wall with Justin Massey.

I'm in the camp that the eyes she'll close forever are kills, but I don't think the listing of brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes meant that she was going to be limited to 3 kills... just that there would be a variety of types of people she kills.

I also thought Melissande knew about the resurrection possibility but just thought a slacker like Thoros shouldn't have been able to pull it off. "You shouldn't have this power" I think they were trying to emphasize to the viewers how amazing it was that he pulled it off since he just seemed to mutter some words and it was all okay again.

I'm also not down with the early demoralization of the Band of Brothers. It makes me sad because they were the one group that seemed to care about the small folk. It will make their grimness under UnCat less heart breaking.

I'm fine with Gendry taking over Edric's role (whatever, it isn't totally credible but they need to compress characters) but I wish Mel had convinced Gendry to come with her willingly somehow rather than Beric and Thoros selling him.

And go Arya for calling Mel out! A spade is a spade, sing it.

I also am curious about the "We'll meet again" - will they be on the same side or opposite? Enquiring minds want to know!

In another vein, I remember harboring vague suspicions about Gendry being Robert and Cersei's supposedly stillborn son after Cersei told Catelyn that story back in season one. The show's returned emphasis on his royal blood this week dredged that thought up again. Not even going to try to push that through as logical or likely, but it was one of the early deviations from the book that had more than just me wondering about what Gendry's true role was going to be... Make of it what you will.

I would like to point everyone to this interview. It's the one labeled The Most Beautiful Woman in th World: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/05/game-of-thrones-episode-3x06-climb.html

Why bring up a child she has lost again? Was it just a plot device for sympathy between Cat and Cersei?

It's weird. And it makes me uncomfortable. I would really be suspicious of that story line.

PS- if you watch the Joe Dempsie one, looks like shadow babies are on the way...

The exact quote is "I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever."

Maybe the comment just means Arya will kill a shitload of people (thus every eye colour is represented).

I think this lends credence to the theory that Melisandre is undead and has herself been resurrected by the kiss of fire before. She doesn't seem surprised that it's possible because she's had it happen to her. The reaction that we're seeing is her amazement that someone has been able to do it six times, a non-devout priest at that.

I've had similar thoughts on the matter. Whatever Melisandre is, she is not normal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out she was resurrected herself.

Archived